cloudy pool

Guest Michelle

Guest Michelle

Help, This morning I check my pool and all my chemical level were in the correct range but the water is still very cloudy, I added some shock and wait about three hours and tested it agan . My pool is 14,000 gallon 24 ft round. the reading I got the second time were as follows

TBr 10

FCI 10

ALK 40

PH 7.2

Thurday I tested the water and had o alk at all so I added 10LBS of baking soda.

The water is a light greenish blue and very cloudy, I can see the bottom at times but not always. Please HElp!

Guest Jeanne whitley

Yep.... I have a 30' 4.5 deep above ground pood, for 4 years Recreational Factory Warehouse tells me it's my fault....I have readings in the normal/acceptable ranges.........I have followed their instructions to a tee... Still have a cloudy pool. Looking for other owners to join together to resolve the issues that the pool sellers are unwilling to resolve.

• 3 weeks later...

The cloudy water you're seeing is the stuff that will filter out when you run your pump for awhile...maybe a full day or 3. Did you do a test for CYA (cyuranic acid)? If not, what are you using to chlorinate pool? You

said "Br" in your numbers, but I don't think your using bromine to sanitize pool, you're using chlorine.

Here's where it gets tricky...first off, bleach is chlorine just the same as the tabs you buy at the pool store or home depot or walmart. The problem is that the 'dichlor' and 'trichlor' tabs have stabilizer/conditioner or CYA

in them, and when you keep adding CYA into the water, it takes more and more chlorine to sanitize pool.

Ultraviolet rays from the sun burn up your chlorine, and the remainder is all you have to kill off germs, algae, etc. in the water. Basically, the longer you use these tabs, the harder it is to balance water. My advice if you have to use tabs, use trichlor for a month or two and keep checking CYA levels. You can get a cheap test kit at walmart ($15) that lets you do the CYA test twice (or you can take it to the pool store and have them test if for you). Just DON'T buy anything from the pool store! Isn't it funny that the same guys that sell you $$$ worth of chemicals are the same guys doing the testing?? Something wrong with that....

anyway, once your CYA level is at least 40 ppm (40-60 is fine), the chlorine will be "stabilized" and will stay in

your water longer. I use Ultra unscented bleach to chlorinate my pool and it works great. I use stabilizer (CYA) separately.

The particular problem you have is that you just need to add a flocculant or 'Clarifier'. You can get it at home depot or walmart in the pool section (it's blue). Read directions and don't use too much. A flocculant just binds all the small particles suspended in solution and then they drop to the bottom of the pool where they can be vaccumed up. Add floc, run pump continuously and vac......that will cure your problem. If you have anymore problems, just send an email.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.... I have a 30' 4.5 deep above ground pood, for 4 years Recreational Factory Warehouse tells me it's my fault....I have readings in the normal/acceptable ranges.........I have followed their instructions to a tee... Still have a cloudy pool. Looking for other owners to join together to resolve the issues that the pool sellers are unwilling to resolve.

Shock pool with chlorine and run pump continuously...it'll clear up. Keep shock level up!!