Warranty Returned Hot Tub

utah

What do you think. Would you buy a hot tub that has been returned under warranty, fixed and resold by the manufacturer?

The unit comes with a full warranty...just fewer years based on the age. For example, if the tub had a 5 year warranty and was returned after 1 year, I would get the remaining 4 years. In writing from the factory.

Reasons for Returns:

1. Shipping damage to fake wood skirt -- No issue in my book, I dont mind

2. Discoloration of shell -- I don't think this is an issue

3. Shell cracked at top and repaired -- sounds pretty bad to me. Probably not buy

4. Microcracks in surface of tub -- don't know, what do you think?

5. Small delaminations on surface of tub -- dont think this would be a big deal unless on a seating surface.

Thanks

Doug

What do you think. Would you buy a hot tub that has been returned under warranty, fixed and resold by the manufacturer?

The unit comes with a full warranty...just fewer years based on the age. For example, if the tub had a 5 year warranty and was returned after 1 year, I would get the remaining 4 years. In writing from the factory.

Reasons for Returns:

3. Shell cracked at top and repaired -- sounds pretty bad to me. Probably not buy

5. Small delaminations on surface of tub -- dont think this would be a big deal unless on a seating surface.

Thanks

Doug

Normally on spas like that the "warranty" does not cover the shell, but the equipment from all the manufacturers that I have dealt with. They void the warranty on the part that was already fixed. Check that out.

If it is ABS acrylic, it will continue to fall apart. Normally if the "pull" or "lamination" is bad in one spot, it will show up in other spots in time.

Normally on spas like that the "warranty" does not cover the shell, but the equipment from all the manufacturers that I have dealt with. They void the warranty on the part that was already fixed. Check that out.

If it is ABS acrylic, it will continue to fall apart. Normally if the "pull" or "lamination" is bad in one spot, it will show up in other spots in time.

Check with the manufacturer. Different makers will give you different warranties. Get whatever you can in writing, of course.

Reasons for Returns:

Thanks

Doug

Doug, spend your money in a better way. Microcracks in shell? No Bueno!

Reasons for Returns:

Thanks

Doug

As a good rule of thumb, I would never suggest anyone buy a warranty returned item of any kind. You never can be assured that you are hearing the real reason it was returned to begin with. Think about it....there must have been something seriously wrong with a warranty returned hot tub. The dealer could repair virtually any minor problem to the original customer's satisfaction. I would assume something major and you wouldn't want that.

All good points. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My goal is to have a worry free tub. I'd rather have fewer features but a solid built tub. Sounds like the general consensus is that a factory warranty return and refurbed tub is not a good path towards achieving this goal.

My hope was some of these issues would be minor and not a problem. Your points are valid. If they were minor, the factory would not replace them.

The quest continues.....

Doug

All good points. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My goal is to have a worry free tub. I'd rather have fewer features but a solid built tub. Sounds like the general consensus is that a factory warranty return and refurbed tub is not a good path towards achieving this goal.

My hope was some of these issues would be minor and not a problem. Your points are valid. If they were minor, the factory would not replace them.

The quest continues.....

Doug

I am amazed that my logical post was in total agreement. I don't understand why the rest of my posts are not understood?

Could I get you to elaborate on why you would stay away from a tub that has a crack on the upper "lip" (wraps around the top edge of the tub). Let me give you a little background on these tubs in case that is helpful.

Its been repaired by the factory and depending on the color can be difficult to even detetect. The company has put me in touch with the Director of Quality. He checks that everything is running well at the factory and also has final say on whether a tub gets returned for repair or not. If the tub does get returned, he has the production team repair the tub to his specifications (special acrylic kit). He has several of these tubs available and sells them at a couple hundred dollars above what he would sell them to an employee.

The last one he called me about had a 3-4 inch repaired crack on the upper lip. One year old tub, with full written warranty from the manufacturer for everything with one exception that I will clarify below. A day after we chatted, he called letting me know that one of his employees opted to buy the tub and that it was no longer available (a good sign to me).

He seems trustworthy. We have chatted on several tubs and he has suggested I pass on a few (another good sign I think).

The warranty is modified in 2 ways. First, I only get the remaining period left on the warranty. Not prorated but just "shorter" based on the year the tub was originally sold. The other is that "cosmetic" defects will only be repaired, not replaced. The factory will pick up the tub and return it at no cost to me (in writing) for 7 years less the above "shortening".

He claims none of the warranty returned tubs that he has sold (they destroy the really bad ones) has ever returned for a structural crack or leak. Yes some have had another crack show up that the factory repaired. A tough call here but my senses tell me his is being truthful based on our conversations to date and his candid responses to some tough questions. BTW, he suggested I pass on ALL microcracked tubs. Cosmetically don't look good and he has had some of those come back with later problems.

I would love your candid thoughts on what challenges you think I might have with this type of tub. I am definitely not convinced to go this route yet. Rather, I want to make an informed decision.

Some additional questions.....

- Why do acrylic/abs tubs crack at the upper lip

- Are they likely to crack again or worsen?

- What do you think about the acrylic repair kits if done in the factory?

The incentive for me is that I can get a 1 year old tub that would normally retail for $7,500 for around $3,000 and have a warranty on everything.

In all likelyhood, my other choice is to buy a 3-5 year old used hot tub for around $3,000. I'd love all the features of a new tub but the extra dollars compete with the college savings goals for my 3 and 6 year old.

Feels like a fair trade-off for my family. Buy a less expensive used or warrantied return tub and put the difference in the kids college savings.

Again, please keep the candid responses coming so that I can make the best decision for my family.

Been reading the thread, on 2 boards, and chuckling along....... Thinking to myself RUN FORREST RUN.......... but then, you gave some prices. BUY FORREST BUY :D:D:D But I'd like to know what's left on the warranty. Also how long the dealers been in business, and how long he's been selling these warranty repaired spa might give some clues

Upper lip cracks are almost always caused by stress. Either the spa is installed incorrectly or it wasn't internally supported properly. Fill it with water and it warps too far out of shape, causing cracks. Almost always stress cracks like this don't cause any structural problems and are mostly asthetic.

BTW, I have a number of things I bought as remanufactured (mostly warranty returns). Most of them came with the full original warranty (though nothing as expensive as a spa). I figure if they last half as long as a "new" one I've come out even, last longer and I'm ahead. Most of the time I "come out ahead", but not always

Could I get you to elaborate on why you would stay away from a tub that has a crack on the upper "lip" (wraps around the top edge of the tub). Let me give you a little background on these tubs in case that is helpful.

Its been repaired by the factory and depending on the color can be difficult to even detetect. The company has put me in touch with the Director of Quality. He checks that everything is running well at the factory and also has final say on whether a tub gets returned for repair or not. If the tub does get returned, he has the production team repair the tub to his specifications (special acrylic kit). He has several of these tubs available and sells them at a couple hundred dollars above what he would sell them to an employee.

The last one he called me about had a 3-4 inch repaired crack on the upper lip. One year old tub, with full written warranty from the manufacturer for everything with one exception that I will clarify below. A day after we chatted, he called letting me know that one of his employees opted to buy the tub and that it was no longer available (a good sign to me).

He seems trustworthy. We have chatted on several tubs and he has suggested I pass on a few (another good sign I think).

The warranty is modified in 2 ways. First, I only get the remaining period left on the warranty. Not prorated but just "shorter" based on the year the tub was originally sold. The other is that "cosmetic" defects will only be repaired, not replaced. The factory will pick up the tub and return it at no cost to me (in writing) for 7 years less the above "shortening".

He claims none of the warranty returned tubs that he has sold (they destroy the really bad ones) has ever returned for a structural crack or leak. Yes some have had another crack show up that the factory repaired. A tough call here but my senses tell me his is being truthful based on our conversations to date and his candid responses to some tough questions. BTW, he suggested I pass on ALL microcracked tubs. Cosmetically don't look good and he has had some of those come back with later problems.

I would love your candid thoughts on what challenges you think I might have with this type of tub. I am definitely not convinced to go this route yet. Rather, I want to make an informed decision.

Some additional questions.....

- Why do acrylic/abs tubs crack at the upper lip

- Are they likely to crack again or worsen?

- What do you think about the acrylic repair kits if done in the factory?

The incentive for me is that I can get a 1 year old tub that would normally retail for $7,500 for around $3,000 and have a warranty on everything.

In all likelyhood, my other choice is to buy a 3-5 year old used hot tub for around $3,000. I'd love all the features of a new tub but the extra dollars compete with the college savings goals for my 3 and 6 year old.

Feels like a fair trade-off for my family. Buy a less expensive used or warrantied return tub and put the difference in the kids college savings.

Again, please keep the candid responses coming so that I can make the best decision for my family.