Why Is The Ph High In My Spa?

MrBill

Periodically I change the water in my spa, using tap water. I then put 2 bromine tablets in the filter and let the pump run for a few hours while it heats (220 VAC) up the water. When I check the pH, it is very high, so I use dry acid (pH down) to bring the pH down to 7.4. The next day I check the pH, and even though nobody has used the spa the pH is very high again. This will keep happening for 10 days or so, then the pH will stabilize. I've thought about adding stabilizer (cynauric acid) to stabilize the pH, but been told that this will work only with chlorine levels. So why does is take so many days to stabilize the pH level? What can I do to have it stabilize right away?

Thanks, Bill

Periodically I change the water in my spa, using tap water. I then put 2 bromine tablets in the filter and let the pump run for a few hours while it heats (220 VAC) up the water. When I check the pH, it is very high, so I use dry acid (pH down) to bring the pH down to 7.4. The next day I check the pH, and even though nobody has used the spa the pH is very high again. This will keep happening for 10 days or so, then the pH will stabilize. I've thought about adding stabilizer (cynauric acid) to stabilize the pH, but been told that this will work only with chlorine levels. So why does is take so many days to stabilize the pH level? What can I do to have it stabilize right away?

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,

It sounds like you don't have your Total Alkalinity in check. It should be 80 - 150 ppm. Having you alkalinity in the proper range will act as a pH buffer and will help you in getting the pH to stay in the proper range. Without the TA in the correct range, your pH can up and down without any "reasonable" rhyme or reason. After adding pH increaser or decreaser, it should only take about 1/2 hour of circulation for you to see a change in the level.

Hope this helps.

tom the spa guy

It sounds like you don't have your Total Alkalinity in check. It should be 80 - 150 ppm. Having you alkalinity in the proper range will act as a pH buffer and will help you in getting the pH to stay in the proper range. Without the TA in the correct range, your pH can up and down without any "reasonable" rhyme or reason.

Hello Tom,

I also have a 24,000 gallon pool, and after changing the water last year with the same tap water, I didn't have any problem with the wild pH swings I get with the spa. BUT - I'll run down to the local pool supply store today and get a TA test kit, then report back here what happens.

Thanks, Bill

Hello Tom,

I also have a 24,000 gallon pool, and after changing the water last year with the same tap water, I didn't have any problem with the wild pH swings I get with the spa. BUT - I'll run down to the local pool supply store today and get a TA test kit, then report back here what happens.

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill,

Something to keep in mind is that although we like to think of a spa as just a small pool, it's actually more like a large bathtub.

Because of the smaller volume of water (500 or so vs. 24,000), the spa (with it's hot water) reacts more with each addition of chemicals and/or (for lack of a better word) bacteria. Just think of this - dispense a cup of dirt into a large pool, and you'll hardly see it - but the same size cup of dirt in your small spa will show much more.

Alkalinity is the key, once it's in check it is easier to get the pH correct. And because each person's body has a different chemical makeup some people's spas are "easier" to keep balanced than others.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help anymore.

tom

Bill,

One more thing . . .

Next time before adding your Bromine tablets, check your pH and TA and get them in check before adding the bromine. Not that you committed any sins by adding the Bromine first, it is just easier to get your initial pH and TA balanced without the additional chemicals.

Also be sure your Calcium Hardness (CH) is in the proper range as well.

Hope this helps.

Tom