Salty Water

Guest Simon Ybarra

Guest Simon Ybarra

I have a 12,000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool with a salt water chlorinator. This is a recent install and the water Ph, alkalinity, and free chlorine appear to be okay. My question is about the water itself. When we swim it seems to have a bit of a salty taste. Is this normal? We added 460lbs of salt about two weeks ago.

I have an new inground pool and also noticed the a slightly salty taste also when the pool contactor added the salt. Other than that I haven't noticed any difference. I have to add about 1 gallon of muriatic acid a week to control the pH but that is mostly due to the new plaster. System is very low maintenance and chlorine level is pretty stable around 2ppm.

You're going to taste a little salt if using a SWG. You just added 460 lbs of salt and wonder why you taste it?? SWG are definitely the best way to 'naturally' chlorinate your pool, just expensive startup costs.

Generally you will start to taste the salt in the water when the concentration is above 3500 ppm. Adding 460 lbs of salt to 12,000 gallons should increase it to about 4500 ppm! If you don't object, and the manufacturer of the salt chlorinator allows this salt level as an acceptable level, just leave it alone.

Most domestic manufactured swg recommend 2500 - 3500 ppm of salt, whereas most imported systems recommend 4000 - 6000 ppm of salt. Be careful if your salt level should exceed 6000 ppm as it can be corrosive to any metals in the pool.

If the salt is too high, you will have to dilute the salt to an acceptable level.

Hope this helps,

Sean Assam

Autopilot Systems Inc

Manufacturer of the Pool Pilot Salt chlorination system

I added a salt water generator to my pool also this last year. the ppms reached about 3500 and I could taste it slightly in the water also. This is harmless. The benefits of the sanitation system are extrodinary and I'm greatly pleased with the amount of work that it has cut out of my life! No more gross chlorine smell for me! It doesn't bleach hair or bathingsuits and is automatic. Great system! These sytems are available for spas as well.