Caldera Geneva Heater Problem

tonyk72

I have no heat in the tub. The filter was a bit dirty, so I replaced with a clean filter, drained the tub and also replaced the pressure switch thinking that was the problem. I reset the breakers. That didn't work...I did notice the "temp" light flash 4 times only once. The water does circulate...where do I look next?

I have no heat in the tub. The filter was a bit dirty, so I replaced with a clean filter, drained the tub and also replaced the pressure switch thinking that was the problem. I reset the breakers. That didn't work...I did notice the "temp" light flash 4 times only once. The water does circulate...where do I look next?

So the temp light is on steady now?

If so, probably the heater relay board. Look for 'flash' marks around the black relay that the heater wires attach to. If you have a meter you can test for voltage there.

Bingo...Is the black relay the one on the very left side? I do see what appears to be some smoke residue. What could have caused this to happen? Should I be able to swap the board out myself or should I have a tech come out to look at it?

If you don't feel comfortable doing it then call a service tech.

With that said it's not too hard.

First...KILL THE POWER!

Take both silver brackets out by removing the few small screws and the grounding lug.

Mark and pull out the main wires. They come out by putting a small blade screwdriver in the opening above the wires and gently pry up...the wires then will pull out.

Pull the heater wires off the board, and unscrew the grounding lug that the heater ground wire connects to.

Pull the three wires off (Red, White, Black) that cross over to the other board on the right.

Finally, to get the board to come out, pull from the white clip in the upper right corner. It is pressed onto some pins in the back. Gently pull on it from the top and bottom at the same time.

Once the board is out, reverse the process, start by pressing the white clip in the upper right corner onto the pins.

*****Also, the new board cones with some silver jumpers above the wire connections...they need to come out for the Geneva model.

I had the tech come out and he replaced the bad board, but I guess there is a problem with a fuse now? He has to check his stock to see if he has this fuse available.

What year Geneva is it? I don't know of any fuses in the newer models that have the heater relay board.

Did the tech take the jumpers out? They are located just above the incoming power lines.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I have this exact same situation. I have a Caldera Utopia Geneva that I bought new maybe 6+ years ago and I everything was working fine. I turned off the power and did a water change two days ago. Turned it back on after filling it up. Everything seemed to be working fine. Added chemicals and went inside and had a beer. The next day I go out to use it and no heat. I checked it out and the heater and LIM OK LEDs are lit. I have 120v from each pole to ground but no voltage from pole to pole. I have 14 ohms across the heater. I do see some flashing on the right side of the right relay on the board. So how much are these heater boards and what is the part number and where do I get one?