Noise Complaint

spamastaflex

Hey All,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine who is running into issues with their neighbour.

The neighbour is complaining that the noise from the spa is keeping him up all night, etc. etc.

I've looked at the tub and there is nothing wrong with the pump, it is in perfect running condition making exactly the amount of noise that it should. We put down some extra padding and changed the filtration settings so it doesn't turn on too much at night, of course it still has to heat and there is no way we can unplug this thing at night (we live in canda and need the constant 101f).

The problem now is that he is threatening to take her to court over this - A HOTTUB for petes sake!!

You would figure that if he hates noise so much that he wouldn't live in a neighbourhood, but whatever.

Just wondering if anyone has run into anything similar to this, or if any "E-Lawyers" want to chime in here I would really appreciate any info.... There is no way this thing is over the dB levels for a noise issue, so does this guy actually have a leg to stand on or should we just ignore him???

Thanks

Rich

What brand, model and year hot tub?

Hey All,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine who is running into issues with their neighbour.

The neighbour is complaining that the noise from the spa is keeping him up all night, etc. etc.

I've looked at the tub and there is nothing wrong with the pump, it is in perfect running condition making exactly the amount of noise that it should. We put down some extra padding and changed the filtration settings so it doesn't turn on too much at night, of course it still has to heat and there is no way we can unplug this thing at night (we live in canda and need the constant 101f).

The problem now is that he is threatening to take her to court over this - A HOTTUB for petes sake!!

You would figure that if he hates noise so much that he wouldn't live in a neighbourhood, but whatever.

Just wondering if anyone has run into anything similar to this, or if any "E-Lawyers" want to chime in here I would really appreciate any info.... There is no way this thing is over the dB levels for a noise issue, so does this guy actually have a leg to stand on or should we just ignore him???

Thanks

Rich

I am not sure of your laws, but if it is likely that you would get judged against, then you could fit a small circulation pump. This would then stop the main pumps coming on during heating.

Not sure how easy/hard the above is, but if it is a practable option then if it does go to court you could say that you have tried to make it less noisy.

You can most likely access your local laws on line. Then get a sound meter,

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

and see if your spa's noise level exceeds local statute.

If you are within the law, you should be OK.

Buy the neighbor some earplugs! :)

Dave

Hey All,

Thanks

Rich

Have your friend try inviting the neighbor over for a soak and a drink to talk about it.

Hey All,

Thanks

Rich

I have the same problem with my Nordic XL being under my bedroom window, and I didn't expect the subtle motor noise in my design. My walls do not come off but since it's a round tub I was able to mostly sneak in wall type insulation through the opening around most of the tub. It damped the noise somewhat plus is cutting the run time of the motor as it's keeping the heat in better. At the next water change I think I may put a pad underneath as it sits on an 8" concrete pad and I want to reduce any chance that vibration I'm not aware of might be causing residual noise. Knowing what i know now, the next time I would purchase a spa only with a slow secondary cirulating pump connected to the ozinator, but too difficult to install now. Hope this story helps a bit.

PFamily

I also own a boat and there's a wonderful product on the market to insulate the engine bay for more silent operation. It's called soundown (http://www.soundown.com/) Maybe you could use it to insulate your cabinet. Even if he doesn't have a case against you it's always nice to be on friendly terms with your neighbour

• 12 years later...

Same problem, live in Canada also. Looking like we will have to sell the Softub because of the neighbour (who incidentally lives 100 feet away from the tub with cedar hedges in between). I have built a wall of 10" Styrofoam, put a metal gazebo with thick fabric walls over it, concrete patio stone under the pump and turned the pump to the opposite side of the tub. This nice neighbour can only go so far!

23 hours ago, Kawarthacottager said:

concrete patio stone under the pump and turned the pump to the opposite side of the tub. This nice neighbour can only go so far!

Concrete stone will help transfer the resonance from the pump motors.  If you're trying to dampen sound from resonance frequencies, you need to use rubber.    Grab a cheap Yoga Matt, cut it to size and try shoving that under the pump to see if it helps.