Price To Install 240/60amp?

AdamK

Started to get electricians to quote on hooking up the spa. I'm seeing what I think are pretty high prices. So far $1,400, $1,500, and $1,200.

Requirement: 240V at 50 or 60 amps

Distance: About 50 Ft from panel (20 feet from side of house)

Does this seem right? I had originally thought about $800; the dealer said he sees on average $1000. So I'm thinking I'm getting high estimates.

Started to get electricians to quote on hooking up the spa. I'm seeing what I think are pretty high prices. So far $1,400, $1,500, and $1,200.

Requirement: 240V at 50 or 60 amps

Distance: About 50 Ft from panel (20 feet from side of house)

Does this seem right? I had originally thought about $800; the dealer said he sees on average $1000. So I'm thinking I'm getting high estimates.

We did it ourselves so it only cost us the cost of the wire, conduit and whatever else needed and we did get a deal on that as well.

But that said, it costs some money to have an electrician come up and I have no idea how much they charge per foot for their wire, but you can bet they get a deal on it when they buy it. Ultimately, it's going to cost some money and if you aren't confident doing it yourself, you want to get it done correctly. That's what an electrician will do for you. Shop around, get the best deal you can and know that it will be worth it to have it done rightly and get you into that tub! B)

I wish you the best in your search,

Anne

My father and I installed mine last Sat for 300.00. I think it would of been a little cheaper but all menards had was 50 ft of 6/3 outdoor cable which was 150.00 I believe non outdoor would of been cheaper and easier to move. We also bougt a few thing we didn't use, but I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

This was just parts from the main breaker to the GFCI 50 amp breaker box outside. I still need to purchase cable and conduit from the GFCI to the tub. Also the 50 map GFCI are rather pricey, I'd give you the price but can't find the receipt. The 50 amp breaker for the main was only 8.00. I think it was missed priced.

I hope this helps. Oh it also took us 8 hrs. I'm sure if I had another one to do it go faster but I'd rather do it right the first time

Thanks for the replies so far...

Something interesting I learned when I started asking questions: One electrician said that I could save $400 by digging the trench for the cable myself. He said it needed to be 18 inches and for the length I needed he said it would cost him $400. He also told me that if I were install a concrete slab I had to first lay down a 12x12 copper mesh to meet code... never heard of that before. He said if I went with the Spa Pads that do not conduct electricity, I wouldn't need the copper layer beneath.

Also, does everyone have their installs inspected by the town? Is it mandatory to get a permit? I realize that's locality specific but I didn't expect that I would have to let the town know I was putting a hot tub in my back yard and get it inspected afterwards.

Our GFCI box came with our hot tub which was a happy surprise. I had looked at them online at SpaDepot for just over $100 but I don't believe it was as nice as the one we got from the dealer.

If you carefully read the directions and pay attention to codes, you can figure it out. It made sense to me. Now, I've never wired anything like that, my husband knew how to do all the carpentry/construction stuff, like cut conduit to the right size, drill through the deck, etc. etc. But reading the schematics wasn't too bad. Having my dad the electrical engineer who used to correct, design schematics for Boeing certainly helped a lot. Yes, definitely better to have more than you need that not having everything you need, we went to the hardware store 4 times the day we wired up. :huh:

Anne

I wired mine myself. A few years ago, anticipating a hot tub, I ran extra wire under the house during another electrical project. All I had to do was run about 25' of wire, total, from my junction box to the subpanel and then to the tub.

If you are uncomfortable wiring things up, ask your dealer to recommend one of those less expensive electricians he was talking about.

Dave

Wired ours last weekend for $325 which was a run of about 12 feet from the spa box. The box was $110 at Lowes and I got 35 feet of #6 THHN wire (4 separate wires) for .80 per foot.

That said, I had gotten 2 quotes from local electricians of almost $1000 each.

Obviously, I decided to save $700...

I got 2 quotes of around $800 to install the spa about 8' from our breaker box (were lucky its on the other side of the wall the hot tub is near) and that price does not include the GFCI because our Caldera includes that. If you do not feel comfortable doing the work yourself but have some electrical knowledge you might consider buying the wire and running the lines yourself (all the easy stuff. Then just call in the electrician to inspect everything and actually connect the wires. It might save you some money, but ask your electrician before you do this as some will not be willing to do that.

This is a concern I have also. Our tub is going to be in the back and the meter is on the far end of our house (at least 75ft). We have two electric panels and both are in the basement. The basement is all finished and the ceilings are drywall with trays. I don't really know how this has to be run, but if it has to come off the main panel or the sub-panel (both in the basement), I'm in for a huge bill. I live on the north side of Atlanta and whenever I need someone like an electrician or electrician, it always seems to cost more than anticipated. With the home building market in the crapper, maybe I'll find an electrician who is a bit hungry.

Does the cable have to come from inside the house or can it be run from the meter?

Alright, here's what I know, and what I did.

First off, if they can run any of the wire through the attic it'll save you $$$$$, trenching is very expensive! Mine was about 75 feet, all through the attic / crawlspace, and then just a bit outside to the GFI and then to the tub. Total cost was $750.00 by a lic. electrician. I had to call around and get a few quotes before I found one I thought was right. Some seemed way too low, others way too high.

IMO you need to keep calling until you find someone who'll come out and look at it then write up an estimate! I gurantee if they say $1500 it'll cost $1500 whether or not it was a legit qoute! You are laying out big bucks for this spa, and want it done right, and don't want to get ripped off. The proper procedure would be for a qualified electrician to explain what parts are required, what they cost, and why, before you agree to a price...If you do it yourself, make sure you know what your getting into, and have everything you need before you start.

Does the cable have to come from inside the house or can it be run from the meter?

Obviously every situation is different but my electricians said that to follow code running straight from the meter was not an option. If you wanna save some money though just hook it up before the meter :) (Don't really do that)

Obviously every situation is different but my electricians said that to follow code running straight from the meter was not an option. If you wanna save some money though just hook it up before the meter :) (Don't really do that)

Why wouldn't you be able to run directly from the meter? Our drainfield pump comes off of it.

I don't know why but 2 electricians told me that. Again it might just be my specific situation. My meter , hot tub disconnect and main panel form an equalateral triangle with each about 6' away from each other. Don't know if proximity has something to do with it. I know they said the disconnect must be at least 5' from the tub.

I think it depends on your area for the most part. I just recently had my hot tub hooked up and it was a base price of $700 which included the sub panel (out door) and the breakers (60 amp) + 15' of the 4 strand wire. I had to pay an additional $326 for the 50' run of extra cable to my tub location so total install with a 65' run in my case was $1026 tax in (Edmonton, Alberta)

Cheers

Calvin

Hi, this is my first post. After lurking around the site for months, I bought a Jacuzzi J-345.

Last week-end I installed the electricity required for the spa. I decided to go with a 60amps installation ( I had to change the jumper inside the Jacuzzi to enable the 60 A). My Jacuzzi included the 60A GFI breaker box to be installed near the spa.

My total cost was $325.

$70 for a 60A breaker in my distribution panel

$255 for 60 feet of exterior #6 copper cable @$4.25/foot

I dug the trench myself. It takes a bit of work to bend and muscle in the #6 cable in the panel.

Other than that everything ran smooth and I finished the installation at noon. I turned the breaker on, and tested the GFI. By 11:00PM the water was ready.

Well, I hope to have some news tomorrow. I have an electrician who is going to inspect my site and get me a price. I already bought a spa disconnect panel at HD. They sell both a 50 amp and a 60 amp model in an outdoor GFCI box.

I don't know for sure about this, so the experts will need to chime in on this one, but I've been told that it's really best to have not just an outdoor GFCI subpanel, but one rated for spas. Is this really necessary or a marketing ploy? I read this on Spa Depot's instructions. And really the one they were specifically suggested, was not very expensive.

That's my possibly incorrect two cents. :lol:

Anne

OK, I have my price for the hookup:

$735-$750. That includes 125ft of #6 Romex, 60amp breaker, spa disconnect box with breaker and GFCI (Anne, they sell these at Home Depot and Lowes), conduit and labor. The spa disconnect panels range from $72-100. Mine was $89 and is a 125 amp 2-space/4-circuit system with a gray metal outdoor enclosure. The work will be done on Tuesday morning!

• 2 weeks later...

2 - 50 amp breakers (first one was bad, I hate Home Depot some days) $8 /ea.

Spa disconnect panel $90

#6 colored wire 3 X 60 X $0.80

#8 wire 1 X 60 X $0.63

Pulling wire $10

Conduit 3 X $5

Conduit connectors and glue $20

Vinyl Siding trim and sealer $15

Time to dig 14 foot trench in hard rocky soil 8 hours (or a trencher can be rented at Home Depot for $90 for 4 hours)

First time soak in a tub that you have busted your butt for priceless