Electrical And Gas Connections

limulus

We need to get electrical and gas connections for our new system. I have a spa disconnect from Home Depot which contains a 50amp breaker. Is the power line actually run from the outside of the house by the meter? Everything here is underground, so I assume my nice Bermuda lawn will be partially dug up and I'll have to notify the association and get their approval :angry: We live in a golf community and everything has to be approved. I'm also going to need to get all the utilities flagged so that nothing gets cut...including the irrigation system.

For the electric and natural gas, what can I expect to pay? I think a plumber is actually needed for the gas connection and the last time I needed one, it was $80/hr.

For the gas, plumbers or heating contractors charge $800-$1200 depending on how far the

gas meter is from the hot tub. The gas company could also trunk off their service line, run a new line to the hot tub and set a meter next to it. That's usually cheaper, around $500-$700 depending on distance, but then you'd pay around $8/month for that 2nd meter.

For the electric people uually pay $1000

You can get by running the gas and electric inside and popping out of the wall by the hot tub.

That's IF you have a clear path to run those lines.

Thanks squidly. I'll check with the gas company about the connection. The outer walls are brick, so coming through the wall is not doable. I'll also check with some neighbors who have them.

For the gas, plumbers or heating contractors charge $800-$1200 depending on how far the

gas meter is from the hot tub. The gas company could also trunk off their service line, run a new line to the hot tub and set a meter next to it. That's usually cheaper, around $500-$700 depending on distance, but then you'd pay around $8/month for that 2nd meter.

For the electric people uually pay $1000

You can get by running the gas and electric inside and popping out of the wall by the hot tub.

That's IF you have a clear path to run those lines.

No, not an in-ground. I just wanted the most efficient heater and one that could heat the water quickly. Also, everything around here is heated with natural gas. Honestly, I think I can get by with standard 120v and a 30amp breaker since my heat will be gas. For that matter, I could have gotten by with electric heat. We're on the north side of Atlanta. It's definitely not the arctic but it can go into the teens at night during late Dec-Feb. Since I've moved here, I've even seen single digits.

edit: never mind, I was asking why gas, but then I looked it up and found that gas heaters are an option. Is this inground?

Thanks squidly. I'll check with the gas company about the connection. The outer walls are brick, so coming through the wall is not doable. I'll also check with some neighbors who have them.

Why is drilling through brick not an option??? Its SOP for alot of electric or gas connections and a very easy thing to do with the right equipment.

Roger, you are correct, drilling through the brick would not have been a challenge. The biggest challenge is the finished basement. I had a guy here this morning and we discussed everything involved. I've since decided to eliminate the 100,000 BTU natural gas heater and stick with all electric heat. So instead of upgrading the gas meter and running a lot of gas line, I'll only need to run electrical.

Why is drilling through brick not an option??? Its SOP for alot of electric or gas connections and a very easy thing to do with the right equipment.

Roger, you are correct, drilling through the brick would not have been a challenge. The biggest challenge is the finished basement. I had a guy here this morning and we discussed everything involved. I've since decided to eliminate the 100,000 BTU natural gas heater and stick with all electric heat. So instead of upgrading the gas meter and running a lot of gas line, I'll only need to run electrical.

Next house you'll put in a suspended ceiling in the basement huh?

Firewire,

I live in metro Atlanta on the northside. I normally pay through the nose for this type of service and this time I feel like I finally caught a break! Our community has a forum for residents and I posted my request on that forum and got two replies almost immediately from other neighbors. This guy is fully licensed and insured in both residential and commercial. I saved some money by buying the breaker, spa disconnect box and cable at Home Depot. He supplied the conduit and the labor (that's labour for any canucks reading this). His portion was $400 and the other $350 was my expense. We have a finished basement with smooth ceilings and a sub panel and he installed a 60 amp breaker there. Then ran about 110 ft of 6/3 Romex ($225 at HD for 125ft) out to the deck (Fortunately, there is a 3ft wide alley that runs from our utility room all the way to the side of the house that is unfinished). It took 2hrs for three men. The spa disconnect box can be found at HD and they have several models. It is specifically for spas and this one can handle 120amps. I can put in an outlet if I want to. Here's the box on my deck:

DSC_0071-1.jpg