Swim Spa - Sunbelt Badu Or Master Spa H2x?

Firewire

We are buying a Swim Spa and have narrowed our choices down to two. Both can be purchased and serviced locally.

Sunbelt Spa - Olympic 15'7" with the 2 Badu Swim Jet System (2500 gal)

Master Spas - H2X 17' with Propulsion system (2150 gal I think)

One of my biggest concerns is the monthly electric bill.

H2X only requires a 50 amp hook up while the Sunbelt requires a 60 amp and 30 amp hookup. I have a 200 amp panel with 7 open slots, so I am not worried about that, but what I am worried about is the over all operations costs of the higher Amped unit. I will be including a 4" cover and it will be on a 6" concrete slab.

I'd like to know if the price of additional monthly electric service may sway my opinion on which spa to get. I already know the cost to install the 60/30 service is $300-$400 more, but the cost of the Sunbelt spa might be $3000-$4000 less similarly equipped.

I just can't find much info on Sunbelt Spas and what little info I have found hasn't been negative really. The flash of the H2X website definitely works and makes theirs sound like the obvious choice even if it does cost more. I also looked at Hydropool, but wasn't sold on their Patented Swim Jets or cedar cabinet (instead of synthetic). Endless Pools, Swimex, etc. are just toooooo expensive for a Swim Spa that I am looking for ($20K-$24K complete and I am not sure the H2X can be had below $26K).

Hydroworx uses the badu jets and has many praises, so Sunbelt has it's pluses since it uses the same technology. And Endless Pools has many praises using the propulsion, so H2X has it's pluses since it uses that technology. And I am not concerned so much with a serious swim. It's just an exercise and play place for me and my family.

Considering price, the decision might be easy in that the Sunbelt is a good value (loaded out $22k w/ crane delivery and install, cover, led lights, microban, etc.). It has the Badu Swim Jets (not just a series of 6 regular jets at the end), Balboa controls, etc. The frame has me somewhat concerned in that I guess it's only wood and not steel. And the insulation I really don't know the quality of that. H2X touts the Icyelene.

Thank you for any help!

We are buying a Swim Spa and have narrowed our choices down to two. Both can be purchased and serviced locally.

H2X only requires a 50 amp hook up while the Sunbelt requires a 60 amp and 30 amp hookup. I have a 200 amp panel with 7 open slots, so I am not worried about that, but what I am worried about is the over all operations costs of the higher Amped unit. I will be including a 4" cover and it will be on a 6" concrete slab.

I'd like to know if the price of additional monthly electric service may sway my opinion on which spa to get. I already know the cost to install the 60/30 service is $300-$400 more, but the cost of the Sunbelt spa might be $3000-$4000 less similarly equipped.

I just can't find much info on Sunbelt Spas and what little info I have found hasn't been negative really. The flash of the H2X website definitely works and makes theirs sound like the obvious choice even if it does cost more. I also looked at Hydropool, but wasn't sold on their Patented Swim Jets or cedar cabinet (instead of synthetic). Endless Pools, Swimex, etc. are just toooooo expensive for a Swim Spa that I am looking for ($20K-$24K complete and I am not sure the H2X can be had below $26K).

Hydroworx uses the badu jets and has many praises, so Sunbelt has it's pluses since it uses the same technology. And Endless Pools has many praises using the propulsion, so H2X has it's pluses since it uses that technology. And I am not concerned so much with a serious swim. It's just an exercise and play place for me and my family.

Considering price, the decision might be easy in that the Sunbelt is a good value (loaded out $22k w/ crane delivery and install, cover, led lights, microban, etc.). It has the Badu Swim Jets (not just a series of 6 regular jets at the end), Balboa controls, etc. The frame has me somewhat concerned in that I guess it's only wood and not steel. And the insulation I really don't know the quality of that. H2X touts the Icyelene.

Thank you for any help!

I have serviced a Sunbelt swim spa and it is a very nice looking and well built spa. The extra Amp service they require is for the big pump to swim against. it moves a lot of water and you will not be dissapointed. I know swim spas from some other companies use a small jet pump to create current and do not work as well.

There tech support is also great to talk to and honor the warranty. In case you wondering what was wrong with the one I serviced the customer did not set it right away and the pipe cracked from freeze damage from sunbelt testing.

Thank you for the reply! That is great to hear that you felt it is a well built spa. I have never owned a hot tub, so I am trying to sort through all the sales pitches. Your opinion from a service point of view is great as well. That is what is all really comes down to and you obviously have seen a lot more than a consumer such as myself has.

Sunbelt.....poor, poor, poor quality. We have hauled at least 10 of them to the dump every year that I have been in the spa industry. Most of them are between 5 and 10 years old. Very cheaply made, poorly insulated product...some of the worst I have ever seen.

Master Spa....slightly better quality, poorly insulated, insanely priced! Looked at their swim spa at one of the travelling expos last year. Was advertised at $32K but was on sale for $24K, I do believe. $16K should be the very high end based upon my observations.

Dimension One Spas makes an excellent, very high quality product. If I were in the market for a swim spa, they would be my top choice. Although D-1 is a competitor of mine, they make a top-notch product.

Good luck!

Terminator

I have been looking at these as well. I did like the propulsion system of the H2X better. It uses a propeller to create the swim current instead of jets. For me anyway it seemed to give a smoother wider swim than the other models that I looked at. I also liked the steel frame. Terminator mentioned the insulation, the H2X was insulated better than most of the ones that I looked at anyway. Worth a look. Let us know what you decide.

I have been looking at these as well. I did like the propulsion system of the H2X better. It uses a propeller to create the swim current instead of jets. For me anyway it seemed to give a smoother wider swim than the other models that I looked at. I also liked the steel frame. Terminator mentioned the insulation, the H2X was insulated better than most of the ones that I looked at anyway. Worth a look. Let us know what you decide.

I hope Master does a better job making their swim spas than they do their regular spas which are suspect quality and poorly insulated IMO.

Dimension One Spas makes an excellent, very high quality product. If I were in the market for a swim spa, they would be my top choice. Although D-1 is a competitor of mine, they make a top-notch product.

Good luck!

Terminator

But the D1 simply uses regular spa jets to create the current right??? I like the 19' length, but discarded them because of their swim system. I will take another look at them based on your suggestion. If pricing is mid-twenties or less.

Thank you for any help!

My husband and I bought a Sunbelt Swim Spa October 2006 and had it for almost one year. I am an avid swimmer and two of my girls swim for their school swim team, so we were very excited to get this unit to practice their swimming and for me to excersize on a daily basis. To my dismay, this was a nightmare. It was very difficult to find the "sweet spot" by which to swim in and my girls kept getting turned sideways and pushed around. Besides that the unit was broke down for at least 40% of the time with issues that we were told were electric related. We had the power company and two different electricians check our wiring out and they could find no problem with it. We had three complete new electronic packs put in it over the course of about 3 months. After that the local dealer would not respond to our calls and the unit sat there dead, unusable. I tried several times to talk to the manufacturer about this problem, but kept getting the run around of always having to find someone else to speak to. I finally spoke to the President of Sunbelt Spas who told me he would not replace the unit and did everything they could to fix it. We felt like we had a lemon and asked them to replace it under there five year warranty. We never did get satisfaction with it. so I started researching other Swim Spas. I called Master Spas and asked to speak to the President of the company. I was immediately connected to Bob Lauter and had a wonderful informative conversation about the swim spa marketplace and in particular the Master Spa H2X Swim Spa. He referred me to the local dealer in my area. I contacted the owner and came in to their showroom. They had an H2X on display and were very excited to have us try it out. Five minutes after getting into it we were sold! The propulsion system is so easy to swim in (my youngest took about 5 minutes to get used to it and now she swims like a fish). We made a very good deal with the local dealer and he took ours in on consignment for us. Before purchasing we tried to make sure that our buying experience this time would be positive and checked out some of the references that they had.

Upon installation, we had an electrical issue that had us thinking "here we go again". The dealer came out at 7:30 at night in the dark and made a minor adjustment that took 15 minutes to repair. My daughter was very excited to see that it was working correctly since she was having a swimming birthday party the next day!

We use our H2X almost every day for swimming, eexersize and as a pool for 8 - 10 kids. We have sent the local dealer pictures at Christmas time with snow coming down and all of us in the pool. This has been an excellent purchase and a great experience for us. comparing the two models is like night and day. Swimming in the Sunbelt is like swimming against a firehose in a prison riot while the H2X is constant and at a speed that each one of us can enjoy. Our propulsion system makes it so easy to swim in and also can be strong enough to wear you out in a hurry if you so desire!

Our monthly electric bill averages about $ 50.00 a month, but we use it all year long, it is really fun in the dead of winter! We spent over $18,000 on the Sunbelt that we had for a year that only workd right for about 8 months. We paid about $ 25,000 for the H2X and we feel it has been a great investment for us. We can see using this over the next 15 years! I understand there is a smaller H2X that has been introduced with more seats that is smaller in size, but we like ours. We have also referred two friends who have also bought also. One of my friends has cancer and excersizing in a pool was recommended for her. Since she has gotten her spa her bone density has increased at an unbelievable rate, which she gives credit to the H2X for.

Thank you Mr. Lauter for the referral and to our local Master Spa dealer, we love our H2X!

Your post couldn't be more timely!!! We just decided last night on the original H2X. I greatly appreciate the monthly bill info. That is very helpful to know because I planned on $100+ on the Sunbelt and $50+ on the H2X.

The Swim experience info good to know as well. Do you have a cover lifter? Is it needed?

Thank you for taking the time for your post!!!!! :D

Your post couldn't be more timely!!! We just decided last night on the original H2X. I greatly appreciate the monthly bill info. That is very helpful to know because I planned on $100+ on the Sunbelt and $50+ on the H2X.

The Swim experience info good to know as well. Do you have a cover lifter? Is it needed?

Thank you for taking the time for your post!!!!! :D

Excuse me if I'm skeptical of this person who shows up and makes their first post that they own this Master swim spa but I have a hard time believing that a Master spa costs only $50 per month to operate let alone one of their swim spas. It sounds more like someone from their Marketing dep't or that dealer (did you tell them you'd be posting?) had some extra time and saw this thread and REALLY laid it on thick:

1) he bought a Sunbelt first but it was inferior and had to be returned (what a coincidence),

2) he talked to the president of Master (wow, such an open door policy from the same company that runs those VERY shady traveling spa shows? :rolleyes:),

3) it is insulated well (yeah right, just like their spas :rolleyes:, not ),

4) his friend bought one too (wow, they're selling like hotcakes, hurry before its gone :rolleyes: ),

5) it helped his friend's bone density (maybe it'll help heal my male pattern baldness too),

6) the poster is a Doctor and they certainly know the best spas!!

Good grief Charlie Brown! The only thing missing was mentioning how it helped the poster win an olympic gold medal!!

OK, I'm not a fan of the Masters of Deception so I'm skeptical of most anything positive said about them but that post was SO over the top and scripted.

Spatech, Anything is possible I guess, but with the costs of energy these days the Sunbelt requiring both a 60 & 30 amp combined with overall price and local sales/service is one of the keys factors in at least us going with the H2X. But I'll admit, Dr Pats post did help give me that warm and cozy feeling even if it is a questionable post.

From all the greAt reviews and comments, I wish Hotsprings would have had something in the swim spa line up for us consider. :(

Important thing is that we are excited to get our first spa! :D

But I'll admit, Dr Pats post did help give me that warm and cozy feeling even if it is a questionable post.

Then it worked as "Dr Pat" had hoped.

I'd bet $100 to win $0.10 that post was fraudulent for the many over the top statements I pointed out along with the fact it was the first post under that name.

I'd personally avoid Master in general. I'm not saying you should have gone the Sunbelt route and in fact I'd go D1 if I were getting a swim spa.

Good luck!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I did look into the D1, but it was nearly $10K more for the 19' model I liked ($34K), plus the nearest dealer to me is 300 miles away. But the D1 does look nice! Unfortunately price was a concern this time.

The more of us that get a swim spa the more info we can get out to the public I guess.

Who knows what might happen; after all this is the Internet! :)

No I totally agree with your observations, spatech, I just wanted to see what this "DrPat" person might respond with. It would be interesting to meet a real, live Master Spas PR person in the wild, so to speak :)

I was immediately connected to Bob Lauter and had a wonderful informative conversation about the swim spa marketplace and in particular the Master Spa H2X Swim Spa.

Thank you Mr. Lauter for the referral and to our local Master Spa dealer, we love our H2X!

http://consumerist.com/5060313/small-claim...elusive-spa-man

Apparently its hit and miss trying to get an audience with Bob.

"We have to look at this, re-evaluate it, and probably terminate him as a dealer," Lauter said. "I don't want our customers to be involved with that."

"Three weeks later, however, Lauter wouldn't return repeated calls, so Public Investigator could not confirm whether Hueffner was terminated as a dealer."

If they run that Hueffner guy out of Wisconsin I'll be he can get a job with the traveling Master spa show.

• 1 month later...

hi - i just want to confirm what the spa garu person said ... master spas is a scam and horrible company. they are being sued by the dept of justice in wisconsin. in our area there are problems as well. i had to go to the district attorney's office here to get help getting my money back after i learned what a scam they are ...

Thank you for any help!

• 1 month later...

We are planning on purchasing a swim spa within the next couple of weeks and have narrowed it down to about 3 companies

1. SwimEx 400

2. D1 16' model

3. H2X crosstrainer

I went around to local dealers for the D1 and H2X today and got some good feedback on the models.

Unfortunately the dealer for the D1 did not have any models on his floor and it is going to be very hard for us to purchase a product we have never seen. The salesman was nice, but I just dont think he has the experience with the swim spa's to be a reliable dealer.

At the master spa dealer I was actually able to try out the H2X crosstrainer model. The finish was very nice and looked sturdy all around. The spa portion of it was also very comfortable and easy to use. The current was very smooth but it just wasnt powerful enough for me to swim at a steady pace. It could have been that i havent gotten use to this whole swimming in place thing, but who knows. The salesman told me that a new "XP" model is coming out in '09 and will be twice as strong as the current model.

Can someone give some more information on the models I'm interested in? And also what i should expect on pricing for both (I was quoted $30,000 for both the D1 and H2X, not including concrete, crane, and electrical installation)

We are planning on purchasing a swim spa within the next couple of weeks and have narrowed it down to about 3 companies

1. SwimEx 400

2. D1 16' model

3. H2X crosstrainer

I went around to local dealers for the D1 and H2X today and got some good feedback on the models.

Unfortunately the dealer for the D1 did not have any models on his floor and it is going to be very hard for us to purchase a product we have never seen. The salesman was nice, but I just dont think he has the experience with the swim spa's to be a reliable dealer.

At the master spa dealer I was actually able to try out the H2X crosstrainer model. The finish was very nice and looked sturdy all around. The spa portion of it was also very comfortable and easy to use. The current was very smooth but it just wasnt powerful enough for me to swim at a steady pace. It could have been that i havent gotten use to this whole swimming in place thing, but who knows. The salesman told me that a new "XP" model is coming out in '09 and will be twice as strong as the current model.

Can someone give some more information on the models I'm interested in? And also what i should expect on pricing for both (I was quoted $30,000 for both the D1 and H2X, not including concrete, crane, and electrical installation)

at the last spa show in Vegas last month I had the chance to look these spas over. The one that impressed me the most was made by Maxx. If you happen to have a dealer around you it may be worth a look. I certainly would not make that big of an investment without trying it out.

Here in Wilmington I have serviced about 50 portable swim spas. Always heater or pump issues. A few have even had cracked shells. If I was going to buy one today, I would buy the D1. I am saying this with a Master H2 sitting in my back yard at my other house. The biggest reason I have the H2 was I got it at cost. If you are planing to move soon and take it with you, I would not go the portable route. You should be able to find a local pool builder who can drop a RIO swim spa in thee ground for you with the German Speck/Baud pump system for that 22k range. I would not go anywhere near a Sunbelt, ALPS or Cal Spa swim spa personally. Now as for pricing , realze that the dealer's MSRP is a 40-45% margin. Igot to say....That is a very suspect post by the "person" that had a sunbelt and then bought a Master. I wish I owned the website so I could look at their IP address.

• 3 weeks later...

i have owned a masterspa h2x swimspa for 8 months. my problem has been that it does not maintain a constant current. now, when i think of it, how could it with the incoming and outgoing currents passing by each other. i think they are mixing. their technicians have been cordial and have tried, but cant figure out whats wrong. i will say that the spa part has been great and i havent had a complaint about the insulation. the 4" cover is so great that snow accumulated on it with the water being warmed to 87. but there is no way anyone talked to owner bob lauter. i have begged to talk to him and havent even received a response to two emails to him personally begging for help. so i dont believe that other person talked to him. overall, i have enjoyed my h2x, but i bought it for the swimming and it does not mainain a constant current and is at times too slow.

1. SwimEx 400

2. D1 16' model

3. H2X crosstrainer

We use our H2X almost every day for swimming, eexersize and as a pool for 8 - 10 kids. We have sent the local dealer pictures at Christmas time with snow coming down and all of us in the pool. This has been an excellent purchase and a great experience for us. comparing the two models is like night and day. Swimming in the Sunbelt is like swimming against a firehose in a prison riot while the H2X is constant and at a speed that each one of us can enjoy. Our propulsion system makes it so easy to swim in and also can be strong enough to wear you out in a hurry if you so desire!

Our monthly electric bill averages about $ 50.00 a month, but we use it all year long, it is really fun in the dead of winter! We spent over $18,000 on the Sunbelt that we had for a year that only workd right for about 8 months. We paid about $ 25,000 for the H2X and we feel it has been a great investment for us. We can see using this over the next 15 years! I understand there is a smaller H2X that has been introduced with more seats that is smaller in size, but we like ours. We have also referred two friends who have also bought also. One of my friends has cancer and excersizing in a pool was recommended for her. Since she has gotten her spa her bone density has increased at an unbelievable rate, which she gives credit to the H2X for.

Hi all - first post here...great forum! I was just browsing through the various posts in this section, as the wife has expressed some interest in getting a Hot Tub or Swim Spa. When I came across this thread, and particularly the post above, I *had* to register and reply!

I can say without a doubt that the above post is not a legitimate customer. The first line I placed in bold (firehose & prison riot bit) is taken verbatim from a video I just watched on the H2X website. Coincidence? Perhaps...maybe the customer is just so jazzed up about their new spa that they used Master Spa's words as their own - it is pretty descriptive, after all. However, the "Our" in the sentence that follows pretty much clears up any doubts I had about the validity of the post.

"*Our*" propulsion system?!? Surely they meant "their" (i.e., Master Spa's) propulsion system, right?

Whoops!