White Powder In Water

maynard

Our Jacuzzi Ventura hot tub is older but I have been able to maintain it to like new. The one nagging problem I have is when I first fill the tub. For the next month we have a white powder that settles on the bottom areas of the tub. I use a shop vac. to remove the larger piles then circulate the water through the filters. I remove and hose the filters daily and get lots of the white powder out. It has no smell or taste. Once it is cleaned out all is fine until the next drain and re-fill. We do shut down and winterize the tub annually. Could this be erosion from the inside of the PVC plumbing? We use the Baqua Spa system for water purity.

Just by reading what you wrote, and using a system I would use to analyze any problem, I'd say that the issue is not coming from anything (including the PVC) that is part of, or in the tub prior to you filling it with water. My experience tells me that anything ongoing with the tub itself would continue to be a problem everyday, not only after a refill. If I had to make a guess, I'd say something in the water or in the mechanism of placing the water (hose, faucet, etc) is where your "white powder" is coming from.

However, I (the chemist in me) would want to evaluate the possibility that the white powder is a precipitate from a chemical reaction. Something in the fresh water (tap water is treated with lots of chemicals) reacting with something still in the tub. OR, the possibility of some mineral having an extremely high concentration in your water, or something along those lines. Although a mineral would have to be in an extreme quantity to cause the kinds of sediment your talking about.

Good Luck!

Our Jacuzzi Ventura hot tub is older but I have been able to maintain it to like new. The one nagging problem I have is when I first fill the tub. For the next month we have a white powder that settles on the bottom areas of the tub. I use a shop vac. to remove the larger piles then circulate the water through the filters. I remove and hose the filters daily and get lots of the white powder out. It has no smell or taste. Once it is cleaned out all is fine until the next drain and re-fill. We do shut down and winterize the tub annually. Could this be erosion from the inside of the PVC plumbing? We use the Baqua Spa system for water purity.

I'd say it is your baqua spa stuff. That stuff gets in the pipes and sticks to everything. Then when you refill a bunch of the junk comes out and floats around for a while. Try doing a system flush the next time you drain and switch to good old chlorine for the next water change and see if you have the same problem.

Baqa does do really nasty stuff to some plastics. My other thought is minerals that as said above are having a chemical reaction when you add the chemicals. Do you use well water?

• 2 years later...

I am having a problem with white powder in my older above ground fiberglass spa as well it is nearly perfect in consistancy under 50 power it appears to be crystalin in nature and has clear grains like ground glass and sparkles some in sun light tested around 5 grams (alot) only discolors brown under heat on a piece of tin foil on the stove since it appreared I have drained and cleaned the spa twice in a month and it is back agian ? there has never been any glass broken that could be subject to the pump impellor milling it down im thinking there may be a problem with the original heater or ozonator I use gas now if they have some sort of glass or quartz like element anyone have any idea what this stuff could be?

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I had a problem with white powder in my hot tub, at first I thought that it comes from a pump, due to wear of plastic parts, I took apart the pump outlet pipe, that goes to heater, I realized that pump was clean of contaminant, the pipe all the way to the heater was also clean, but inside of heater was full of white deposit. Then I went to the internet and found this post. I started lookng outside the hot tub system. I have water softening filter, that requires cyclic rinsing. This proces is done automatically, however there is a tank which should be filled up with special salt. I did not fill up the salt tank for a quite some time, and therefore filter rinsing proces was not done correctly. The water contained some mineral, that powderised under heating process, not right away, but after water got warm, and the result was white powder all over the hot tub. After refilling the filter salt tank, and running proper rinsing proces the problem finished.

Them You all for support !