6 Lbs Baking Soda And No Change In Ph?

20,000 in ground vinyl liner pool. Alk is about 110 - 120. I have been keeping the chlorine level fairly high, probably between about 5 - 10 ppm over the last 3 or 4 weeks or so to combat some algae. The pH is 6.8. I added a couple pounds of baking soda which was all I had and after 24 hours observed no change. Added a few pounds more and now it has been several days and the pH has not budged.

Any suggestions?

Site

20,000 in ground vinyl liner pool. Alk is about 110 - 120. I have been keeping the chlorine level fairly high, probably between about 5 - 10 ppm over the last 3 or 4 weeks or so to combat some algae. The pH is 6.8. I added a couple pounds of baking soda which was all I had and after 24 hours observed no change. Added a few pounds more and now it has been several days and the pH has not budged.

Any suggestions?

Baking Soda raises Alk, Borax raises Ph..

Site

Any suggestions?

Baking Soda raises Alk, Borax raises Ph..

:rolleyes: Baking soda will raise pH just fine.

Something else must be up.

Adding baking soda does not raise the pH very much. 6 pounds added to 20,000 gallons starting with a pH of 6.8, TA of 110, assumed CYA of 50, raises the pH only to 6.87, but the TA rises to 131. Baking Soda is NOT for raising pH, but for raising TA. If you added 20 pounds of baking soda to your pool, it would have raised the pH to 7.0 but the TA would rise to 181.

To raise the pH, you use either 20 Mule Team Borax or you use pH Up which is the same as Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (sodium carbonate). Use The Pool Calculator to calculate amounts of the chemical you choose to use.

Richard

Adding baking soda does not raise the pH very much. 6 pounds added to 20,000 gallons starting with a pH of 6.8, TA of 110, assumed CYA of 50, raises the pH only to 6.87, but the TA rises to 131. Baking Soda is NOT for raising pH, but for raising TA. If you added 20 pounds of baking soda to your pool, it would have raised the pH to 7.0 but the TA would rise to 181.

To raise the pH, you use either 20 Mule Team Borax or you use pH Up which is the same as Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (sodium carbonate). Use The Pool Calculator to calculate amounts of the chemical you choose to use.

Richard

Thanks Richard...

I thought I Had to go back to Pool School :D

Richard

Thanks Richard...

I thought I Had to go back to Pool School :D

I stand corrected, sorry mumpelnc.