De Or Cartridge Filter

jbo

I'm in the process of having a pool built and one of the contractors recommends a DE filter while the other two recommend cartridge filters. What are the pros and cons of the two?.

Regards, jbo

A DE filter is the best. It will filter down the smallest micron of debris. The cartridge is next in line. The DE does require a bit more care as far as cleaning and backwashing. The cartridge can go a little longer before cleaning but still requires attention from you.

If the cartridge filter is over sized less cleaning is required by you, but if do not keep up with the manufacture cleaning cylce you will be buying new filter elements a lot sooner than needed.

Also do not forget about sand filters, yes it takes longer to filter the water to reach the same degree as the other two, but the micron size can't be seen by the naked eye and they do work. There require the least amount if maintenance by the cutsumer and the sand can last up to 5 years or more before a change is needed. Filter cleaners can also be used in a sand filter too.

It all depends on how much time you have to spend on pool filter care. it up to you.

1 DE filter

2 Cartrigde filter

3 Sand filter

You usually just pick one type of filter. Having more than one filter of different types would be strange, though if piped correctly it could be theoretically done (I just don't know why anyone would want to do it).

By the way, one can have a sand filter and add a small amount of DE to it (slowly via the skimmer until the PSI rises a small amount). That way you get the backwashing convenience of a sand filter with much of the filtering capability of DE. You just need to replace the DE by adding more after each backwash.

In my pool, I have an oversized cartridge filter I only need to clean once a year. The cartridges are about 5 years old and look like I might need to replace them soon (yes, I'm pushing it). I have an opaque electric safety cover so not that much junk gets into the pool and that helps a lot, though there's always cedar needles that seem to make it to the filter in spite of skimmer and pump filter baskets.

One factor to consider is water conservation. Filters that need regular backwashing waste a lot of water. That's one main reason I have a cartridge filter since we have water restrictions in our area.

Richard

What part of the country do you live in? Is this a year round pool? Or do you open and close it annually? The length of your pool season helps determine what type of filter to purchase. One thing for sure, make sure you do not undersize your filter. The type of filter you buy depends on the type of debri you will be picking from the pool. All three types of filters work if properly installed. DE is the best if all you care about is getting the smallest particles out of the water. Cartridge is very easy to maintain. Sand works as well, but does not sanitize to the degree of the others.

More importantly, You can never go wrong by purchasing a larger filter than you need.. Buying the right size pump is crucial. Too much HP on your pump is just as bad as too little horspower on your pump. Ask the builder for the name of the equipment he is putting on and make sure you look at the manufacturers websites to do your research. Also make sure he is supplying all of the same brand of equipment: ie Pump filter heater all the same brand. You don't want the pump manufacturer blaming the filter manufacturer if you have a warranty issue.

Companies like Hayward and StaRite make good quality products, and have full assortments. Hayward has a page on their site to help you decide on a DE, Cartridge, or Sand. WWW.HAYWARDNET.com

I disagree with the comments somebody else left regarding adding DE to your sand filter. This could possibly void your warranty with a manufacturer. They work completely different.

I'm in the process of having a pool built and one of the contractors recommends a DE filter while the other two recommend cartridge filters. What are the pros and cons of the two?.

Regards, jbo

I disagree with the comments somebody else left regarding adding DE to your sand filter. This could possibly void your warranty with a manufacturer. They work completely different.

It is true that adding DE to a cartridge filter should not be done and could void its warranty, but adding DE to a sand filter is similar to making the sand filter more dirty which generally makes it more efficient. Sand filters that are completely clean don't filter as well as sand filters that are dirty. The key is to use a SMALL amount of DE in the sand filter -- you only add enough to have the pressure rise 1-2 PSI. See this thread for more info and note that it is expected to backwash weekly as usual.

Richard

If you aren't a "pool guy" and you are going to take care of the pool yourself, a cartridge filter is the least hassle to manage. Every one is right about the efficient property's of the two, However, from a visual standpoint, you probably won't be able to tell the diff. in water clarity. You hose off a cart, and with D.E. filters you backwash, add D.E., and tear it down twice a year. As far as adding D.E. to a non-D.E. filter, Its all in the amount of DE you use. In those cases less is more. Your trying to enhance the filter media not replace it!