Pentair Ic-20

natezz8

I have now had my pool finished for about 2 months and have had nothing but troubles with my pentair equiptment.

I have:

Easy touch system

Intellichlor IC-20

Inteliflo 4x160

Pentair 420 cartridge style filter.

I started the pool with the dummy cell for the first month and then put the IC-20 in after that. The salt was set to 3800 ppm before installing the cell. It produced Chlorine for about a week and stoped working. At the same time I lost all function of my Easy touch system. Pentair sent out a new motherboard for the Easy touch and a new built in circuit board for the Intellichlor(All Intellichlor contol is built into my Easy touch unit). Pentair tech support said the Intellichlor circuit panel was manufactured wrong as it only had on resistor installed on the circuit board, this board with only one resistor shorted out the both the motherboard for the Easy touch and screwed up my IC-20 Cell. After installing the new circuit boards the IC-20 cell light was iluminated in red. I called pentair and they said they would send out a new IC-20 cell. After waiting 2 weeks still no cell in the mail. I called them back and they stated the cells were on backorder. I work in the service industry and that means there is a problem with these. A week passed and on Friday I recieved a new IC-20 cell in the mail. Today I swapped out the original cell for the new one I had recieved. Guess what the new cell has absolutley no function, (no lights this thing is dead).

Has anybody had anything like this happen or do I just have really bad luck.

Thought I'd put this out there in case you might be having issues with your IC-20.

Any feedback welcomed!!!

My pool (constructed late last summer) is equipped w/ an EasyTouch and an IC40 (a higher output version of the IC20) and I've been very happy - no issues whatsoever. But a friend of mine who had a pool built last spring (by the same builder) had problems w/ his IC40 and needed a replacement cell. The builder told my friend there was some kind of manufacturing error re: the IC40's electronics; so perhaps this same problem affected IC20's as well (I imagine both units use the same board). But he hasn't had any problems w/ his Easy Touch.

I suspect the problem is w/ your control panel (EasyTouch), although it's possible you got 2 consecutive bad IC20's. My advice: call the builder, tell him to bring a new IC20 AND a new EasyTouch (not just a replacement motherboard) and tell him not to leave until everything is functioning properly. Many (if not most) builders don't so their own electrical work, so you might want to schedule the electrician to be present, too.

Jkusmier, You have been lucky. If your unit is still working, hold your breath. Have had nothing but problems with the IC40's, Reads salt wrong, bad board, bad flo switch, Reads low salt, bad cell, cell max out on hours, reports hours in excess of the pools life (new pools). However, This seems to be the norm for companys that have chlorinators out for less than a couple of years. They will probably work out the bugs just as the other companys have. Lets just hope the warranty will keep up.