Master Spas

knovot

Wife and I attended a local Spa/pool show at the fairgrounds. There was master spas (which neither of us had heard of) there with their dog-n-pong show. We really like the value line called down east, Portsmouth SE the four pumps (three pumps one circulating). Out the door with leds build into the standard light (not to be confused with the leds around the whole tub) cover, delivery, steps, cover, ezlift, stainless jet covers for $7400. Wasn't full of water and didn't have bathing suit so didn't get to "wet test". Is this 1. a good spa 2. a good price?

Any advice would be helpful...

Wife and I attended a local Spa/pool show at the fairgrounds. There was master spas (which neither of us had heard of) there with their dog-n-pong show. We really like the value line called down east, Portsmouth SE the four pumps (three pumps one circulating). Out the door with leds build into the standard light (not to be confused with the leds around the whole tub) cover, delivery, steps, cover, ezlift, stainless jet covers for $7400. Wasn't full of water and didn't have bathing suit so didn't get to "wet test". Is this 1. a good spa 2. a good price?

I'm not a big fan of Master or Down East unless they are sold as a inexpensive brand.

Was this at the OKC show? Was it worthwhile? We have a hottub on order, but were thinking of going to the show to check things out.

I have the Master Spa LX700 and like it. The only negative is that I don't like the method they use for insulation and had to spend a substantial amount of time adding insulation. Also, I don't think you should ever buy a spa without wet testing. You should only buy from a dealer that has a good reputation for providing customer service. If you do a quick search on this site you will find that there are a number of spas that are recommended by the majority of people here and have a good track record. I would get that list first, and then figure out which are provided locally by a good dealer. If you live in an area where electricity is expensive, and you have cold winters, you should spend some extra time researching a brand that is well insulated. Sorry to add more questions than answers, but this is a big decision that warrants spending a few days doing homework.

Once you narrow to two or three, then you should wet test.

Hope this helps...

I would never buy anything that I couldn't wet test. I had my heart set on one spa, loved the look, features, dry feel and then after I wet tested it, it wasn't what I was hoping for. The spa shows are great (unless every spa is a Master spa in disguise) to get the spa bug, but then go around and wet test and try different brands and see the stores and the people that are going to service your product if you have future problems.

I have a Master Spa and love mine. I have the LS800 which is very similiar to the Portsmouth (just in the Master series instead of the Down East). I am in a cold weather climate and have not had any issues with the insulation. For you Olympic fans out there (I'm glad they are over so I can get some sleep now :wacko: ) I see that they have Allyson Felix as their spokesperson. She was awesome in the relay this weekend.

Steven

I have a Down East East Hampton model (the big tub). I bought it used, so I can't complain about the value of it. It works for me. However, it is an energy pig. I'm in Minnesota, where we get cold winters. My electric bills in the winter are easily over $200. Of that, about $100-$150 is due to the spa. (I have gas heat for the house) When they say it runs for pennies per day, ask them exactly how many pennies they are talking about. In my case, it's almost 500 pennies per day.

The filters for Master Spa and Down East as also expensive. The Eco-Pur filters usually cost around $50-75 each, and in most of the tubs they use two Eco Pur filters. Those need to be replaced at least every six months. Factor that cost into your cost of ownership too. There are cheaper alternatives, such as Pleatco, but it's up to you if you want to try them. The master spa salespeople will make it sound like it's the end of the world if you don't buy the eco pur filters. But that's a personal choice.

They aren't bad tubs. They probably aren't the greatest tubs on the market either. Look around, wet test, and find one that you are comfortable with. Then have fun!

I have a Down East East Hampton model (the big tub). I bought it used, so I can't complain about the value of it. It works for me. However, it is an energy pig. I'm in Minnesota, where we get cold winters. My electric bills in the winter are easily over $200. Of that, about $100-$150 is due to the spa. (I have gas heat for the house) When they say it runs for pennies per day, ask them exactly how many pennies they are talking about. In my case, it's almost 500 pennies per day.

I do not doubt you because I've seen their insulation attempt (more theory than practice) and I've seen this same complaint repeated many times. Getting yours used makes it more palatable but that's still crazy and you should look to improve the insulation (its not like adding insulation will void your warranty since yours is used).

The filters for Master Spa and Down East as also expensive. The Eco-Pur filters usually cost around $50-75 each, and in most of the tubs they use two Eco Pur filters. Those need to be replaced at least every six months. Factor that cost into your cost of ownership too. There are cheaper alternatives, such as Pleatco, but it's up to you if you want to try them. The master spa salespeople will make it sound like it's the end of the world if you don't buy the eco pur filters. But that's a personal choice.

This was covered a few times recently on this site. Either way should work fine but you can use the standard filter and use a Nature 2 cartridge and get the equivalent results.

Thanks for the responses but can I get an idea of what a down east should cost with the options I mentioned and what other spa/features we should consider if wanting to spend $7400+tax for 8X8 comparable.

Three years ago I sold that spa in our store for $6400 and $6800 for the SE model back then, with everything(Cover, CD ozone, extra filters, chemicals, cover lift and steps) in NC. That spa with everything would cost us about 4300. I doubt that has changed much. Most dealers shoot for that 40% margin.

• 1 month later...

Please understand that this forum is overrun with Hot Spring salespeople. Since they don't ever sell any hot tubs, they sit and type a bunch of BS on this forum. I think you should question people's motives on this forum, especially when they pretend to know the wholesale prices of different manufacturers.

Maybe I have a copy of Hot Spring's wholesale price list. If I posted it on this forum, I guarantee it would be pulled off immediately.

The Portsmouth that you were looking at is a VERY nice spa, and you would be happy with it. I sell the SE in my store for $7980.

• Like 1

i wet tested a couple of master spas,can't remember the models,. i thought there tubs were fairly decent but they were not as comfortable as some of the others we tested(hotsprings ,MAAX,Arctic,and sundance just to name a few). after wet testing several brands and missing out on some others i'm sure we narrowed our choice to four MAAX, HS Grandee,Master and Arctic..With master we just didn't feel comfortable with the dealer,something there just seemed a little shady,plus it wasn't as comfortable as the othersnot to mention online research turned up what seemed to be more negative reviews than good,mostly about customer service and some rebate program with the factory,plus numerous reports to the BBB

anyways to make a long story short we chose the arctic summit legend extreme that is completely loaded onzen, deluxe northern lights,stereo, 75 jets not to mention it is the nicest looking tub and will compliment our new cedar deck and it was as comfortable as or moreso than the other 2 finalists.......but the big thing was the sales staff was sensational,a big shout out to the folks at arctic in libertyville Illinois,if the service is half as good as the sales people have been i will be one proud and happy owner and we send all my friends to them...anyways sorry for ramblingbut thats a little bit about out master spas and other spa shopping experience

our tub will be here in less than 48 hours ...i'm so stoked and have my rubber ducky ready

i wet tested a couple of master spas,can't remember the models,. i thought there tubs were fairly decent but they were not as comfortable as some of the others we tested(hotsprings ,MAAX,Arctic,and sundance just to name a few). after wet testing several brands and missing out on some others i'm sure we narrowed our choice to four MAAX, HS Grandee,Master and Arctic..With master we just didn't feel comfortable with the dealer,something there just seemed a little shady,plus it wasn't as comfortable as the othersnot to mention online research turned up what seemed to be more negative reviews than good,mostly about customer service and some rebate program with the factory,plus numerous reports to the BBB

anyways to make a long story short we chose the arctic summit legend extreme that is completely loaded onzen, deluxe northern lights,stereo, 75 jets not to mention it is the nicest looking tub and will compliment our new cedar deck and it was as comfortable as or moreso than the other 2 finalists.......but the big thing was the sales staff was sensational,a big shout out to the folks at arctic in libertyville Illinois,if the service is half as good as the sales people have been i will be one proud and happy owner and we send all my friends to them...anyways sorry for ramblingbut thats a little bit about out master spas and other spa shopping experience

our tub will be here in less than 48 hours ...i'm so stoked and have my rubber ducky ready

I've had my Arctic Spa Tundra Legend Extreme for a week now and apart from a small issue with the seat cushions (now resolved!), I'm extremely delighted. Customer support is second to none and the spa looks and feels great! You will not regret your purchase! My only stress is the water chemistry thing. I have the Onzen system and we are quite satisfied with it so far but all that water testing thing is somewhat stressing me out (probably for no reason at all!).

Let us know how you like it!

• 1 month later...

Run do not walk away from this company ...

Everyone has their opinion. In my experience, Master Spa dealers tend to sell more spas than their competition, so these folks don't like us very much. I guess it is normal to have a certain amount of disdain for your competitors.

Buyers need to educate themselves. THE ONLY unbiased place on the internet to do this is www.spasearch.org. They are an independant company with no ties to ANY manufacturer.

Do your homework and find a dealer that you feel comfortable with. You could buy the "best" spa in the world, but if your dealer is bad, you will not have a good experience.

In my experience, Master Spa dealers tend to sell more spas than their competition, so these folks don't like us very much. I guess it is normal to have a certain amount of disdain for your competitors.

LOL, THAT is your response; it is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time.

In my experience the top Master dealers would be fortunate to sell as many spas as the top dealers of far more reputable brands like Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Marquis, Sundance ... and I'd speculate further that its dubious that the "average" Master dealer sells as many spas as the "average" dealers of those other top brands. I guess our experiences and specualtion differs, what a surprise!

As far as this talk of disdain goes, it may be true that based on their experience with Master some Master customers and other dealers may have some disdain for Master but they sure aren't envious. Most wise business people would prefer their customers and competition to be envious of them rather than full of disdain!!!

BTW, here is another Master customer who learned the hard way that you don't want to just buy a spa because it’s "pretty". You want to buy one that well made, backed by a reputable company and energy efficient (it’s sad that he has to shut down his spa for the winter, the best time to use one):

http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.p...mes;read=116894

• 12 years later...

I went to a show in Denver last February 2021 and bought a Master Spa from the dealer onsite.  They were out of stock, as usual, but the salesman quoted me a price and told me that the spa would be here in 4 to 5 weeks. I just got my spa May 6th, 2021.  12 weeks later ::  When I called the factory after 5 weeks went by, the agent could not give me a date when the spa was being made, or being completed. The agents were rude, unprofessional, and was not updated on the spas.   Everything the Salesman told me was not true what so ever.  He lied to me to get the sale.  Most unprofessional company ever.  I wouldn't recommend Master Spa to anyone.  Terrible scam they pull on you at the shows.  They delivered the spa and left the crate, cardboard, trash in my front yard, because they said its in the contract that they don't have to remove trash.  If you decide the buy a Master Spa, GOOD LUCK! I score this company a 1 out of 10.

Gordon

I'm not a fan or Master Spa. In reality,it's their business practice of letting one large dealer with questionable sales tactics run amock amongst it's brick and mortar dealers. This dealer runs the traveling road show, and many have seen, offer "Today Only" pricing (that's a significant mark down from a made up, highly inflated price) which is really the normal price of the spa, promise the customer anything to close the sale and then they disappear. The delivery isn't by the dealer, it's by a contracted delivery company who is required to just get the tub to the customer. You get absolutely 0 dealer support if you buy at a Spa show run by these thieves.

Master Spa corporate does nothing to discourage these practices and it's a smack in the face to legitimate Master Spa dealers. 

They are not bad tubs, like any tub, you can get really good ones or really crappy ones. One is much better off buying from a reputable dealer, whether it's a Master, Hot Springs, Marquis, Artesian, Sundance, Jacuzzi, etc.

• Like 2

I agree. Never buy from a show or "tent sale", regardless of brand. 

As for Masters spas, they sell spas to dealers, not individuals. Their arrangement with their dealers is pretty standard for the industry. They make them on an assembly line in a factory. With covid shutdowns, supply problems from their suppliers covid shutdowns, and problems finding employees since they are making more from unemployment than if they went to work, they likely have no idea themselves when a given spa will be built. Like everyone else, they are doing what they can. I think that blaming them for the mistakes of some salesman is uncalled for, and going online to try to damage their reputation is just low. If I lied to someone about your work then they went online bad-mouthing you for not living up to my lies, would you find it fair?

I think you should be happy you got yours so fast, as others are stuck waiting until November. Suck it up, buttercup! There is more going on in the world than your backyard oasis.

• Like 1

We don't take away the packaging either. No place to put it on the truck and if you try and strap it down on the trailer it will be all over the road. If you have a trailer with 8 spas on it for delivery that day the amount of packaging is unmanageable. 

If you ordered a spa in Feb. and got it in May you are a VERY lucky person. Most mfg's are 6 mths minimum and there is no way to confirm that. With all the supply chain issues the industry is having target dates are moving targets...sometimes they are off by days and sometimes months. Just the way it is right now. 

You have to take some heat here as well IMO. In the amount of time it took for you to write your post you could have easily found out what they are all about. If you did a tiny bit of research before buying you would know that the dealer and their reputation are well above price and brand and should be vetted before buying. We say it hear almost daily. I understand you feel had and it happens but it could have easily been avoided. You have your spa while most are waiting and hopefully this will all be a distant memory soon.  Now relax buttercup and enjoy your spa.

• Like 1