Spas In Cold Climates?

I live in Minnesota, and am thinking about purchasing my first hot tub. Today we looked at Sundance, Marquis, and Jacuzzi products. Liked them all, but Jacuzzi is at the top of the list right now. Are there any special considerations for installing a hot tub in a cold climate? Features I should look for? Brands that offer better insulation/energy efficiency? Thanks!

I live in Minnesota, and am thinking about purchasing my first hot tub. Today we looked at Sundance, Marquis, and Jacuzzi products. Liked them all, but Jacuzzi is at the top of the list right now. Are there any special considerations for installing a hot tub in a cold climate? Features I should look for? Brands that offer better insulation/energy efficiency? Thanks!

I would check out Hot Spring!

I also live in Minnesota, Duluth area, and the brands your looking at do good here. Keep a good relationship with your dealer, over the years as you may need them in the dead of winter in a hurry. Make sure you have a contingency plan for draining quickly if need be and be prepared for some awesome soaks as the temp drops into the 20's-30's. Think about the placement of your tub as far as drifting snow, wind and falling ice and view of the winter night sky. Most brands including the ones your considering offer a cover upgrade and this will help your energy cost in the winter.

I recommend the Marquis spa. I have had mine for 5 years now without issue in the cold. I have the standard cover that came with it (4" hard insulation).

I have it located near Cle Elum, WA. Last year we had 6 feet of snow on the ground and -20 temps without issue. The Marquis have the automatic freeze detection that will heat and circulate water as needed to keep the unit from freezing. The unit is under a roof.

I keep it at 95 degrees and then heat it to 101 when ready to use it. It takes about 1 hour to bring it up.

The electrical consumption is about 230-300 Kwh per month in the dead of winter (January - March). That includes running it 2 times per day at 7:00 am and 7:00 pm for 3 hours at a time with the heat setting at Economy, which only brings the water up to the set temperature of 95 degrees during the normal filtration cycle times.

As well I use it every weekend during this time and set the temperature to 101 during this time period (Friday evening through sunday afternoon). I change the temperature setting to keep it at 101 all the time during this time period.

The Marquis are very efficient and the controller is very intelligent and logical.

Put it in a protected location from wind if possible, get a good cover, use a gfci with an alarm/trip, it is going to cost you some money to heat it no matter what, but a luxury does cost money, enjoy.