Why Does My Solar Cover Do Nothing?

albergennj

We purchased a solar cover this spring from In The Swim; they offered 3 styles and we went for the "middle of the road" in price (silver not blue).

We must be doing something wrong (bubbles side down, correct?)....or bought the wrong item (won't be the first time). The covers are touted to be able to raise the temp 10-15 degrees. Our thermometer will show an increase in temp, but as soon as the water is circulating within minutes drops right back to what it was before the solar cover was put on. It appears to be heating the top layer, maybe 6 inches, of the pool surface. We have left it on for days with virtually no change. We were kind of hoping to extend the swimming season here in northern NJ.....

Thanks....Al

Unless the pool cover is fairly transparent, then it won't let the sun warm very much of the water (just the surface, as you've noted). The cover will prevent heat loss at night, but you want a more transparent cover to let the sunlight into the pool to warm it (the heat is then retained in the pool by the cover).

You may not find that the water is heating up that much more during the day, but you should find that it is losing a lot less heat at night (assuming it's cool at night). If not, then your cover isn't working for some reason.

Exactly! It is only heating the first few inches so when it circulates, the colder water is mixing in with what was heated. Try circulating while the cover is still on....

Yes, Definitely, run the pump during solar hours. Also, how much sun does the pool get (directly) in hours ? How hot does it get at the pool each day ? Does it get windy each day? Even breezy counts. How cool is it getting @ night? These are all questions to consider when trying to figure out solar cover problems. I must admit I have NO experience with Silver solar covers I usually deal with the Blue solar covers. The company I work for mostly deals with high end products so I don't know about the "middle or low end" covers. It sounds like the cover is working otherwise you wouldn't get the warm layer. I suggest run the pump longer, typically 6-8 hrs a day. Longer with two speed pump.

you might want to check with a product called "Solar Rings". they heat up to 21,000btu & most people know that not only is a full size cover a pain to take on & off, but they will always keep your pool dirtier & dirtier (not to mention, the little bubbles break off & cause damage to your filter).

Solar Rings come in 3 different sizes (the most popular would be 5' circle rings). they look like a raft, and you dont have any troubles & nothing causing your pool to stay dirty(er). They are one of our best sellers in our store!