Preventing Air Lock

dm800

I just drained and refilled my spa that I just acquired for the first time and had an air lock in one of the pumps. I was trying to loosen the unions like it stated in the manual but couldnt get enough leverage on them to turn them, but then I noticed a couple thumbscrews on the pump and found that let the air out. Are those bleeder valves on the pump so you don't have to loosen the unions? I also read where it says to open the bleeder valves in the skimmer area when you are filling, but should I have those open the entire time from when I start draining it until it is full again? I didn't think to open those when I was draining it, but would that help?

One final thing, I see my spa has two pumps, and then a small pump which I am guessing is just for the heat or for circulation. Is that prone to air lock as well? I have never even seen the inside of a hot tub control equipment area before but it is rewarding to do this myself and save hundreds, thanks to the help of everyone in the forum.

Sometimes, if you take out the filter, and put the end of the garden hose into the filter inlet, turn the hose on for a minute or two....that forces water in and air out. Then when you take the hose out, turn the tub on without the filter in place, within a minute or two your air lock should be gone, then put the filter back in, and enjoy!

I'll give that a try next time. Thanks for the tip. So when there is an airlock, does it occur on the outlet side of the pump or on the intake side?

Sometimes, if you take out the filter, and put the end of the garden hose into the filter inlet, turn the hose on for a minute or two....that forces water in and air out. Then when you take the hose out, turn the tub on without the filter in place, within a minute or two your air lock should be gone, then put the filter back in, and enjoy!

• 13 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...