Is chorine free a myth?

Guest Guest_Tony_*

Guest Guest_Tony_*

I have a Hot Springs Sovereign that has an ozone generator and uses a mineral purification system (silver ions). I had been using potassium peroxymonosulfate before each soak and a larger amount weekly for a shock. The manual suggests either a potassium peroxymonosulfate or chlorine weekly shock. Through trial and error I have discovered that not using any chorine doesn't work so well, and I recently started using chorine as my weekly shock instead of potassium peroxymonosulfate. The water seems to stay clearer and fresher longer. Is this common? Is a chlorine free system with ozone and a mineral purification system a myth? Should I add a little bit of chlorine after each soak? My spa load is not heavy: just me, about three times a week, occasionally my wife.

Chlorine free only exist with "specialty programs". Ionizers, mineral purifiers, ozone generators do not work if the pump is off, and even then, a small amount of sanitizer is needed to maintain the water conditions. The monopersulfate is an oxidizer that reacts with the ammonias to release it, but is not a sanitizer.

You would be best to maintain a low chlorine residual (1 ppm) at all times and to shock with either form, chlorine or monopersulfate after usage to get rid of the bad stuff.

Hope this helps,

Sean Assam

Autopilot Systems Inc

Manufacturer of the Pool Pilot Salt Water Generator systems

No! Chorine free is not a myth. I've been using Spa magic for 9 years its the best.

This company been saleing it for 17years. I just put in one 16oz bottle for 5oo gal

of water and its good for 3 months. It will maintain your ph, just keep your filter clean. I have alot of my friend using it and famly, chemical are just to much to work with. I know that some people don't think this can be but it works, and I don't

care want they have to say about it. I you want to look it up I found a company on the net call abm-solutions.net that is saleing it and they have alot of Imfo on it! and they also have other Product that are Bio-products. anyway try checking these people out and see if you like want you see I did! Take Care.

• 6 months later...
No! Chorine free is not a myth. I've been using Spa magic for 9 years its the best.

This company been saleing it for 17years. I just put in one 16oz bottle for 5oo gal

of water and its good for 3 months. It will maintain your ph, just keep your filter clean. I have alot of my friend using it and famly, chemical are just to much to work with. I know that some people don't think this can be but it works, and I don't

care want they have to say about it. I you want to look it up I found a company on the net call abm-solutions.net that is saleing it and they have alot of Imfo on it! and they also have other Product that are Bio-products. anyway try checking these people out and see if you like want you see I did! Take Care.

Your water might look clean and clear but is it free of pathgens? Has spa magic been epa approved as a sanitizer for spas? From what I can see it is simply another enzyme product that will digest the crud and scum that can form in a spa I there are a lot of them out there) but there was not mention of it's being an epa approved sanitizer; If you want to gamble with the health of your family ( and yes, there have been documented deaths from unsanitary spa water) then go right ahead, I do not! You still need to maintain a sanitizer level in your spa at all times and there are only 3 choices--chlorine, bromine, or bacquil. (Ions and ozone still require some type of residual sanitizer or oxidizer!)

Your water might look clean and clear but is it free of pathgens? Has spa magic been epa approved as a sanitizer for spas? From what I can see it is simply another enzyme product that will digest the crud and scum that can form in a spa I there are a lot of them out there) but there was not mention of it's being an epa approved sanitizer; If you want to gamble with the health of your family ( and yes, there have been documented deaths from unsanitary spa water) then go right ahead, I do not! You still need to maintain a sanitizer level in your spa at all times and there are only 3 choices--chlorine, bromine, or bacquil. (Ions and ozone still require some type of residual sanitizer or oxidizer!)

Chlorine-free is NOT a myth. Products like Pristine Blue will keep your spa (and Pool) clear, clean AND sanitized with no odor. Go to Pristineblue.com to find a dealer near you.

Products like Pristine Blue will keep your spa (and Pool) clear, clean AND sanitized with no odor. Go to Pristineblue.com to find a dealer near you.

Pristine blue uses copper to sanitize and non chlorine shock which will oxidize but will not sanitize. Copper will kill algae and bacteria but it does it slowly compared to chlorine and bromine and it has not been shown to be effective against viruses. Also if you have enought copper in your pool or spa to kill pathogens you have enought to cause staining of the pool, spa, or people's hair! (Yes, that green hair color comes from copper!)

Like I have stated before I do not want to play russian roulette with the health of my family. There have been documented deaths from poorly sanitized spa water! (chlorine was NOT the sanitizer of choice).

Your water may look clear and sparkling and have a light blue tint from the copper sulphate you are putting in it but you have to ask yourself "Is it safe for my family to soak in?"

Pristine blue uses copper to sanitize and non chlorine shock which will oxidize but will not sanitize. Copper will kill algae and bacteria but it does it slowly compared to chlorine and bromine and it has not been shown to be effective against viruses. Also if you have enought copper in your pool or spa to kill pathogens you have enought to cause staining of the pool, spa, or people's hair! (Yes, that green hair color comes from copper!)

Like I have stated before I do not want to play russian roulette with the health of my family. There have been documented deaths from poorly sanitized spa water! (chlorine was NOT the sanitizer of choice).

Your water may look clear and sparkling and have a light blue tint from the copper sulphate you are putting in it but you have to ask yourself "Is it safe for my family to soak in?"

Have to agree with waterbear. I wouldn't use any of these alternatives without a minimal amount of chlorine. There are only three sanitizers..chlorine, bromine and biguanides...the rest are bacteriacides. Have your water tested by a good microbiological lab along with water from a 'sanitized' spa and see whats swimming around.

• 5 years later...

The post you are responding to is almost 6 years old and I can find no evidence that this product still exists.

OH! You're right...I didn't realize that post was so old. Well, it took me awhile, but Spa Magic is still in Canada. It changed it's name in the US & is now called The Natural Hot Tub Company Water Treatment & Conditioner. It's exactly the same as Spa Magic & is sold @ xxxxxxxxxxxx.com

I'm also looking into: The Natural Solution Email: ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com to see how the 2 compare.

I just know I cough so badly in my tub, I don't want to get in it anymore.

I just know I cough so badly in my tub, I don't want to get in it anymore.

Could be 'hot tub lung' (mycobacterium avium) from improperly sanitized water. Using the type of product you are trying to find is not going to solve the problem. Learning how to properly sanitize your water will.

The product you are seeking is NOT a primary residual sanitizer!