Water Is Green! What Do I Do?

JB800

Hi, I am fairly new to hot tubs. I had my tub approx. 4 months. At the start up I was using chlorinated granules. I used it for approx 3 months. Last month I switched to bromine. A month into useing bromine, all my levels on the test strip dropped. Now my water turned green! What did I do wrong? Do I drain it and start over? Do I go back to chlorine? Help???

Hi, I am fairly new to hot tubs. I had my tub approx. 4 months. At the start up I was using chlorinated granules. I used it for approx 3 months. Last month I switched to bromine. A month into useing bromine, all my levels on the test strip dropped. Now my water turned green! What did I do wrong? Do I drain it and start over? Do I go back to chlorine? Help???

Hi: I am having the same problem with Bromine...nice non-smelling green water after a few days. I am switching to ECOONE and will let you know how I make out. I also am new to the hot-tub thing...two months into it. From all I read on these forums it looks like copper in the water. I have my hottub at the cottage and use well water to fill....will perform total drain/clean of the hottub/filters etc., refill with filter on the water hose and move to ECOONE system. Later

Hi: I am having the same problem with Bromine...nice non-smelling green water after a few days. I am switching to ECOONE and will let you know how I make out. I also am new to the hot-tub thing...two months into it. From all I read on these forums it looks like copper in the water. I have my hottub at the cottage and use well water to fill....will perform total drain/clean of the hottub/filters etc., refill with filter on the water hose and move to ECOONE system. Later

I'm having the same problem. I used well water that has a lot of iron. Even when it looks clear from the top down, when you turn on the jets the water looks greenish. I don't like it. The tub is blue, maybe this is why?? I used it last night and now it's cloudy too. I didn't shock afterwards. By shock I mean spa-lite, which is the brand they gave me. I used two bags because I buddy who has a tub told me to give it an extra dose. There's only a few tablespoons in each bag and it's $4 per bag!! Geez! I am using a floater with chlorine tabs and having trouble getting my chlorine up at almost two weeks of use too. Not sure what to do. I also get lots of foam and when I use the anti foam I get that yellow crap on on the sides. The sponge thingy in the filter well doesn't seem to be working well to kee that crap out of the water.

Green tubs are usually because of a reactions from the chemicals with metals in the water, unless you have algea, which is not common and only happens if the sanitizer levels is non exsistant for to long. Most wells have metals in the water of some type. If you use a filling filter such as the eco one or other carbon filter that are out there, it will help this issue. You should also use a metal remover at each fresh water fill. You will find if you remove the metals, you will have better water quality and use much less sanitizer. Metals in the water seem to chew up sanitizer rapidly.

As far as the small bags of shock for $4.00....by it in larger bottles. look to see what chemical it is, more than likley it is Potassium peroxymonosulfate, AKA MPS.

Foam and goo are an indicator of contaniments in the water. It usually is risdual soaps, deoderants, hair stuff, lotion and body sweat. Shock the tub, turn up filtration if not on a 24 hour circ pump and allow to clean up. If this does not clean all of it up, try a clarifier. Rinse your filters out as it is cleaning up and make sure they stay clean.

Green tubs are usually because of a reactions from the chemicals with metals in the water, unless you have algea, which is not common and only happens if the sanitizer levels is non exsistant for to long. Most wells have metals in the water of some type. If you use a filling filter such as the eco one or other carbon filter that are out there, it will help this issue. You should also use a metal remover at each fresh water fill. You will find if you remove the metals, you will have better water quality and use much less sanitizer. Metals in the water seem to chew up sanitizer rapidly.

As far as the small bags of shock for $4.00....by it in larger bottles. look to see what chemical it is, more than likley it is Potassium peroxymonosulfate, AKA MPS.

Foam and goo are an indicator of contaniments in the water. It usually is risdual soaps, deoderants, hair stuff, lotion and body sweat. Shock the tub, turn up filtration if not on a 24 hour circ pump and allow to clean up. If this does not clean all of it up, try a clarifier. Rinse your filters out as it is cleaning up and make sure they stay clean.

Thanks. I'll try to get some metal remover as I do have very high iron content in my well water. The MFG of my spa has something called AquaClara Pre-filter which is supposed to be on the hose and filter out a lot of the metal. Would this thing really work? Sounds like a gimmick. They also have this:

Our enzyme-based water purification

system is a perfect match for your hot tub.

AquaClara Natural naturally solves most

water treatment problems and dramatically

reduces hot tub maintenance.

Added monthly, it effectively stabilizes pH/alkalinity, eliminates

scum lines, foam, itching and rashes and helps to alleviate dry skin,

by reducing overall chemical use. Below are some answers to

common water chemistry questions.

I am not using any enzyme system now. Would something like this really work? My friend lives close by and has similar water. He is telling me to stick with chlorine and not use bromine or enzyme solutions.

The pre filters do work well. If you have heavy iron, I would use the prefilter and still use a metal remover at start up.

The natural enzymes sytems have pros and cons. Much depends on spa use and if swimsuits are used ect. You will still need a sanitizer such as chlorine with them, they just allow for you to keep a lower chlorine risdual which decreases your chemical use and makes the water a little less harsh. I am not familar with the one you mentioned, I am personally trying one in my spa right now called the Natural. We do this before we will sell a product. It has worked well so far, keeps PH in check, I have had no foam or cloudy water and while on vacation, my tub blew a fuse and did not run for 8-9 days and my water was still clear, gave a dose of shock and off to the races. What I have not decided is if the cost is worth the product...do I use enough less chlorine, PH adjustors and clarifier to make up for the 35 bucks every 3 months.