Cracks in Hot Tub

Guest Guest_Mike_*

Guest Guest_Mike_*

I have a Tiger River hot tub by Watkins Manufacturing. It is two years old. Several cracks have appeared on the edge of the outside lip on all sides. If the cracks continue over the top and into the tub, leaking will start. If the cracks meet up, chunks of material will fall out.

The warrenty on the shell is good for 7 years. Watkins wants my dealer to send them the hot tub for repair rather than repair it on site. I will have to pay twice for a crane which does not please me.

Has anyone dealt with Watkins and their warranty process before? Is there a history of cracks developing in their products? What type of track record does the manufacturer have in satisfying a customer who takes good care of his spa?

Watkins has had some history of cracking in their tubs and the biggest thing to watch for is to make sure that they don't try to categorize it as "crazing" which is defined by Webster as a crack. I personally would negotiate a replacement tub opposed to sending this one back for repair. With a little bit of effort on your end, you should be able to accomplish this, or at the very least, get them to rebate back some of the purchase price of the product to you and pay for the crane both times. There is no guaranty that this won't continue to happen with the rest of the shell over time and what will happen when it is out of warranty?

This is negotiable!