Fine Silt In Pool.

Trigger

Hi,

I;m hoping someone can help out and offer advice on getting some fine silt out of my pool.

I have a 21' round, AGP that was installed May of this year. I'm using a Haywood 1hp pump and sand filter. OVerall it's working great, and this set up is from my older pool (18' round AGP) I never had a problem keeping the pool clean.

However, for the past month or so there has been some very fine dirt or silt that continuely settles on the bottom. I can vacuun it up, and backwash the filter very very well. But the silt always returns in a few hours. I've tried stirring the water up and running the filter for 8 hrs or so, I've tried using a hand held spa vac without luck. I'm stumped.

Anyone have any suggestions? Someone mentioned getting a pre filter for my vac that would trap this fine stuff and get it out of the system once and for all. But I have never heard of these. ?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

I;m hoping someone can help out and offer advice on getting some fine silt out of my pool.

I have a 21' round, AGP that was installed May of this year. I'm using a Haywood 1hp pump and sand filter. OVerall it's working great, and this set up is from my older pool (18' round AGP) I never had a problem keeping the pool clean.

However, for the past month or so there has been some very fine dirt or silt that continuely settles on the bottom. I can vacuun it up, and backwash the filter very very well. But the silt always returns in a few hours. I've tried stirring the water up and running the filter for 8 hrs or so, I've tried using a hand held spa vac without luck. I'm stumped.

Anyone have any suggestions? Someone mentioned getting a pre filter for my vac that would trap this fine stuff and get it out of the system once and for all. But I have never heard of these. ?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It's called a "Bug House" or Scum Bug. It goes in the skimmer basket and traps fine silt or debris before it gets into the filter system. It's kinda like a pantyhose stretched over the skimmer basket.

It's called a "Bug House" or Scum Bug. It goes in the skimmer basket and traps fine silt or debris before it gets into the filter system. It's kinda like a pantyhose stretched over the skimmer basket.

Thanks Poollady. Have you ever used it? Any luck with it? Does it significantly restrict the flow to pump, and if so, is this an adviasble product to use?

Have you tried a skimmer sock? They're awesome!

I've always had what I call 'algae dust' in the wrinkles of my liner (AG pool) and while that stuff disappears when I vacuum or run the Polaris 65, it comes back to greet me in the mornings. Bought a package of skimmer socks at the pools store, 5 for $6.99, put one over the basket, four hours later it was GAG ME! --- the crud caught in the sock was amazing, and there was NOTHING on the bottom of the pool.

Good stuff!

Have you tried a skimmer sock? They're awesome!

I've always had what I call 'algae dust' in the wrinkles of my liner (AG pool) and while that stuff disappears when I vacuum or run the Polaris 65, it comes back to greet me in the mornings. Bought a package of skimmer socks at the pools store, 5 for $6.99, put one over the basket, four hours later it was GAG ME! --- the crud caught in the sock was amazing, and there was NOTHING on the bottom of the pool.

Good stuff!

My wife found the skimmer socks. I'm gonna give them a try. The catalog were she saw them was backordered, so I'll try another place.

Thanks Anka.

• 2 weeks later...

i purchased a set of the filter socks and vacuumed the pool using one.

It worked like a charm. It captured all the fine silt that my sand filter couldn't trap. Even after a few days of running the pumps and letting the pool water settle, the silt is gone.

In the 7 years of using this sand filter, this is the first time I've ever had an issue like this. So, if anyone else has a problem with some very fine silt that just wont go away, I can recomend these filter socks.

:)