'99 Sweetwater... New Pump Or Trash Dump?

tobz

Hi all. I'm wondering if a few of you wise spa experts can point me in the right direction.

I have a 99 Sweetwater Telluride that came with my house. Worked good years ago but over the last few the pump pressure has become pretty bad. If the filter is in the surface of the water barley ripples with the pump on high. If I pull the filter out out, water movement goes from nothing to just pathetic. :mellow:

I had a spa tech come out and take a look a year ago. Did what he could, didn't make much difference. I asked him if replacing the pump would make a difference. His reply was basically, the pump either works or it doesn't. Since the pump is working, I wouldn't see an improvement in pressure or water volume with a new one. Really? :huh:

I guess my question is, should I spend the money and try a new pump in or just cut my losses and invest in a newer spa with more features?

Thanks!

Have you priced a new spa lately? I have, and man are they proud of the names they give those things. Believe me a new pump is a lot less expensive. If it works, you can still sell the used spa for at least the cost of the new pump and not lose any $$$. Possibly even get some more use out of it. Remember, the plumbing hasn't changed (although it may have buildup or be clogged in some way) so a new pump could bring new life. IMO a spa with no leak, that gets the water hot is a spa worth at least trying to fix up to sell, before that new fancy LCD TV model gets delivered......Good luck

Have you priced a new spa lately? I have, and man are they proud of the names they give those things. Believe me a new pump is a lot less expensive. If it works, you can still sell the used spa for at least the cost of the new pump and not lose any $$$. Possibly even get some more use out of it. Remember, the plumbing hasn't changed (although it may have buildup or be clogged in some way) so a new pump could bring new life. IMO a spa with no leak, that gets the water hot is a spa worth at least trying to fix up to sell, before that new fancy LCD TV model gets delivered......Good luck

First things first if your pump is moving water your impeller is probably clogged drain the spa losen the union that goes into the pump and reach in and get all the debris out of it i would try this first before you spend the money on a new pump. I have experince this before this will probably fix your spa. hope this helps you.

First things first if your pump is moving water your impeller is probably clogged drain the spa losen the union that goes into the pump and reach in and get all the debris out of it i would try this first before you spend the money on a new pump. I have experince this before this will probably fix your spa. hope this helps you.

Or take the old pump out and break it down to see what the problem is. Your tech is semi right in that if it is running smoothly and quiet it is fine. But I find it hard to believe he didn't look for some kind of restriction????

Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with his assessment. He 'improved' the flow in a couple places by removing the jets. Anyone knows a great tech in the Phoenix area, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to drain it tonight and I'll check to see if the impeller is clogged. Much appreciate the suggestions, thank you!