Spa Timer Not Working

caliskier

Hi, Did a search and could not find this. Went out to change the water on my spa today and noticed that the pump timer was not on the right time so I moved it to the right time and came back out 3 hours later to see it in the same spot. So something is wrong, either the timer isn’t getting any power or it is broken.

The other features on the spa seam to be running fine, don’t know about the temp timer. Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot it to see if it is the timer itself or if it is just not getting any power? I own a multimeter, just need some pointers The timer looks like one of these

intematic.jpg

Except it is blue, it is a 220 Volt setup.

The temp timer is working, so I got that. Still looking for some help on how to troubleshoot the pump timer. Also need a cheap parts dealer, any suggestions? Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

If your pump timer is getting the proper voltage, but not moving the timer is bad. Try spadepot.com for parts.

The temp timer is working, so I got that. Still looking for some help on how to troubleshoot the pump timer. Also need a cheap parts dealer, any suggestions? Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

If your pump timer is getting the proper voltage, but not moving the timer is bad. Try spadepot.com for parts.

I will check spadepot, nervous about checking voltage on 220 though :ph34r: , is there a way to check resistance or something with the power off.

I will check spadepot, nervous about checking voltage on 220 though :ph34r: , is there a way to check resistance or something with the power off.

Probabley the clock motor or clock gears have gone bad. Power it up and see if you hear the clock. There is no more amperage in the 220 line than there is in a 110 line. Check for power to the clock. We carry the clocks in stock at all times. Common issue.

Probabley the clock motor or clock gears have gone bad. Power it up and see if you hear the clock. There is no more amperage in the 220 line than there is in a 110 line. Check for power to the clock. We carry the clocks in stock at all times. Common issue.

I'm just not comfortable testing a live 220, 110 or anything like that, I might as well just buy it and see. If there was a way to test it via resistance, I can pull it off and check that, I would rather do that. I don't do a lot of electrical troubleshooting and I do know that it takes less than 1 amp to kill you. Plus, my extended family is on a nice vacation right now, probably piss them off if I go and die and make them come back early.

I guess I could cut the power, pull the unit, hookup my multimeter, restore power, read the meter, cut power, remove meter. Then pull apart the clock and see what is mucking up the gears, maybe it just needs some grease, and that would cost all of nothing.

Well, I got home and did what I said I would do. There is 120V going to the timer. The back of the timer says it should be 120V so it is getting power. Next I took the timer apart and powered the moter via an old cord pluged into the wall. The moter runs. Then I put it back together, but not back in the hottub, and let it sit powered up at the point where it is about to kick on the pump. I let it sit for 10-20 min, not really sure, but it seams to stall there. The motor looks to be very clean, I am wondering though if it does not have the strength to turn the pump on.

Does that make sence, can the motor be wareing out and not have the power to flip over the switch to turn on the pump?

Click... :huh: ... :o ... :lol: woo hoo, it is working, I guess the old take it apart and put it back together trick worked. B)

Great. You may see that it is going to die again soon when you start putting a real load against it. yes, the motor can wear down to the point it wont turn the pump on. I would order one so you have it on hand. They are not very exspensive, and way luck goes it will die when its 20 below! :D

See you didn't need us after all!

• 5 years later...

I am curious if my timer is going bad. I can barely turn it anymore to set the time cycle & for some reason when I leave it on the the timer control setting, it isn't triggering the heater. I had it set to come on every 2 hours for 15 min but have had 2 episodes of the water cooled down significantly.

If I put it on temperature control it works fine. So I know it isn't the element. Perhaps I think the timer cycle is working & it really isn't? I have not checked to see if it is cycling or not. I am pretty sure I hear the "ticking" from the timer. Any suggestions?