Black Greasy Tub Ring In Brand New Cameo

SpaGal

We got our brand new Sundance Cameo last Saturday. Used start-up chemicals per Dealer instructions. Took showers, wore clean suits and soaked Saturday night. Sunday morning there was a smelly BLACK GREASE ring around the tub. Took water sample and sample of grease to dealer. They immediately said "It's your water." However, we had the water tested before the tub was even delivered. I even used a Freshwater filter to on fill to make sure the water was as clean as we could get it to begin with. Used bromine and other chemicals per dealers instructions. After a week of trying to adjust the chemistry which kept turning up no bromine, no hardness, really high pH we were still getting the black gunk, plus smelling it more strongly when we turned one of the diverter valves. It clearly smelled like some sort of machine oil and felt like it, too. The dealer came out yesterday. We put clarifier for a 6,000 (yep) gallon pool. She removed diverter valves and wiped out around those, but no black gunk. We also have LOW flow through the filter. The dealer has ordered some spa flush stuff (i.e. soap) that will be in TUESDAY. We will then run that and then have to refill after only 10 DAYS. The water has cleared somewhat, but only after a total of what should clear 9,000 gallons. Its a 450 gal tub. In short, we have the EXXON VALDEZ of spas!!! Has anyone else ever got a new tub in this condition??? We are not new to this. We had a spa before and always had sparkling water (same home location, same community water system) with almost no effort. Sorry for length of this, but am steamed!! Although not literally, cause we can't use the tub!!

We got our brand new Sundance Cameo last Saturday. Used start-up chemicals per Dealer instructions. Took showers, wore clean suits and soaked Saturday night. Sunday morning there was a smelly BLACK GREASE ring around the tub. Took water sample and sample of grease to dealer. They immediately said "It's your water." However, we had the water tested before the tub was even delivered. I even used a Freshwater filter to on fill to make sure the water was as clean as we could get it to begin with. Used bromine and other chemicals per dealers instructions. After a week of trying to adjust the chemistry which kept turning up no bromine, no hardness, really high pH we were still getting the black gunk, plus smelling it more strongly when we turned one of the diverter valves. It clearly smelled like some sort of machine oil and felt like it, too. The dealer came out yesterday. We put clarifier for a 6,000 (yep) gallon pool. She removed diverter valves and wiped out around those, but no black gunk. We also have LOW flow through the filter. The dealer has ordered some spa flush stuff (i.e. soap) that will be in TUESDAY. We will then run that and then have to refill after only 10 DAYS. The water has cleared somewhat, but only after a total of what should clear 9,000 gallons. Its a 450 gal tub. In short, we have the EXXON VALDEZ of spas!!! Has anyone else ever got a new tub in this condition??? We are not new to this. We had a spa before and always had sparkling water (same home location, same community water system) with almost no effort. Sorry for length of this, but am steamed!! Although not literally, cause we can't use the tub!!

I have had two tubs, but they both came with the homes I bought, and I have never seen grease in my tub, so I do not know if that is normal on a new tub, but I am guessing not as the ones on display at the dealer are all new and don’t have oil slicks. From your very first sentence it sounds like you got the tub and used it the same day, so I am assuming that it did not run very much from the time you got it until you used it, not giving it enough time to flush out whatever was in the equipment. What I am guessing happened is that something was not clean when your tub was put together and I don’t think the dealer wants to admit that. That quick “it’s your water” comment sounds like they are trying to get the attention off themselves; has your bath tub ever done that? :rolleyes: Anyway my guess is that there is something in the system that shouldn’t be and needs to flushed out, and it sounds like that is what they are trying to do for you. I would guess that you might have better luck once they put the flush stuff in and you change the water, you might have to do a couple of water changes. I would hope that they arn't trying to charge you for this, unless you have seen grease spots on your dishes after you run your dish washer. If it comes up again it would be funny to hear why they think it’s your water. If they treat you bad, tell everyone here about it and send them the link, tell them the next thing you are going to do is show up on Saturday with signs.

I have had two tubs, but they both came with the homes I bought, and I have never seen grease in my tub, so I do not know if that is normal on a new tub, but I am guessing not as the ones on display at the dealer are all new and don’t have oil slicks. From your very first sentence it sounds like you got the tub and used it the same day, so I am assuming that it did not run very much from the time you got it until you used it, not giving it enough time to flush out whatever was in the equipment. What I am guessing happened is that something was not clean when your tub was put together and I don’t think the dealer wants to admit that. That quick “it’s your water” comment sounds like they are trying to get the attention off themselves; has your bath tub ever done that? :rolleyes: Anyway my guess is that there is something in the system that shouldn’t be and needs to flushed out, and it sounds like that is what they are trying to do for you. I would guess that you might have better luck once they put the flush stuff in and you change the water, you might have to do a couple of water changes. I would hope that they arn't trying to charge you for this, unless you have seen grease spots on your dishes after you run your dish washer. If it comes up again it would be funny to hear why they think it’s your water. If they treat you bad, tell everyone here about it and send them the link, tell them the next thing you are going to do is show up on Saturday with signs.

We have never had a problem with a black, greasy bathtub ring or grease on dishes, clothes come out of the wash clean, no black righ in toilet tanks to which there would be no other soaps or Tidy Bowl or anything, and have had no other problem even remotely like this with our water. The dealer is providing the clarifier, flush chemical and another "factory" filter, but we are stuck with the water bill for a refill we had not expected to do for at least a month, plus just the headache and hassel of having to deal with all this, and not being able to use our NEW tub. After they finally contacted him, the factory rep seemed to have no problem admitting sometimes they get too much lube on certain parts and was happy to send the replacement filter . . . so we must not be the only ones . . . the dealer does not seem happy providing the chemicals and is charging those to the factory, too. Will get the flush stuff tomorrow and see how it goes on refill. Will not recommend Sundance to anyone. Save some of the money and take a nice cruise!! Thanks for the replies!

We have never had a problem with a black, greasy bathtub ring or grease on dishes, clothes come out of the wash clean, no black righ in toilet tanks to which there would be no other soaps or Tidy Bowl or anything, and have had no other problem even remotely like this with our water. The dealer is providing the clarifier, flush chemical and another "factory" filter, but we are stuck with the water bill for a refill we had not expected to do for at least a month, plus just the headache and hassel of having to deal with all this, and not being able to use our NEW tub. After they finally contacted him, the factory rep seemed to have no problem admitting sometimes they get too much lube on certain parts and was happy to send the replacement filter . . . so we must not be the only ones . . . the dealer does not seem happy providing the chemicals and is charging those to the factory, too. Will get the flush stuff tomorrow and see how it goes on refill. Will not recommend Sundance to anyone. Save some of the money and take a nice cruise!! Thanks for the replies!

Well, sounds like the factory needs to work on quality control a bit, but at least they are making it right and that is a good thing. Glad they are taking care of you.

• 8 years later...

We had the exact same problem happen to us. We had used our new Montclair Sundance spa for a few days, with no issues, then had a nasty tar-like grease come into the tub pretty much all at once. I was covered with grease and had to scrub myself for nearly 30 minutes to get the nasty grease off. It's definitely not manganese reacting with other chemicals; it's more like an oil spill with globs of grease. Our dealer told us the same thing--must be a residue in our water. Clearly they're just trying to divert the blame. I'd certainly hesitate to buy another Sundance spa in the future. 

• 2 years later...