Can You Use Clorox As A Shock.

Carl.F

Is it possible to use Clorox as a liquid shock? If so, how much and how to distribute? We are talking about a 20x40 inground. So I guess that is approx 33,000 gallons.

I have been told by 2 different co-workers that they periodically use clorox to shock their pools.

Thanx,

Carl

Is it possible to use Clorox as a liquid shock? If so, how much and how to distribute? We are talking about a 20x40 inground. So I guess that is approx 33,000 gallons.

I have been told by 2 different co-workers that they periodically use clorox to shock their pools.

Thanx,

Carl

Locally a gallon of shock contains 12.5% chlorine and sells for as low as $2.79/gal and Clorox at 6% chlorine sells for $1.99 a gal. Why use bleach at that price?

Thanx,

Carl

Locally a gallon of shock contains 12.5% chlorine and sells for as low as $2.79/gal and Clorox at 6% chlorine sells for $1.99 a gal. Why use bleach at that price?

Holy Cow. $1.99 for a gallon of bleach? I never pay more than $1.39, by getting whichever brand is on sale. Costco sells in 182 OZ containers - 2 of them for $5.00. ($1.25 per gallon of 6.5%). I kind of like the 6.5% because it is less concentrated and mixes in better. Clorox is simply a brand name. Bleach is bleach. If you can buy 12.5% Bleach for $2.79, that seems like a pretty good deal.

If you're talking about the swimming pool shock that contains Calcium or Stabilizer which sells for about $2.77 per lb., thats another story. I don't want to put anymore Stabilier or Calcium into my pool. I have a fiberglass pool that cannot be drained, and I'm still trying to get my stabilizer to reasonable level. My calcium is also on the high side from all the years of having the pool shocked with calc and stabilizer chlorines.

Thanx,

Carl

My wife says the lowest she pays for bleach is $1.59 but it is 5.5% chlorine which is less than 1/2 the content of the liquid shock we use. I will admit that in the 10 years we have had this 25 year old inground pool we never do anything but chlorinate. Never any algae,skin irritations,or pool damage. Our pool is vinyl lined steel. My pool is crystal clear,the pump is 25 years old,the underground plumbing is in the process of being replaced by me due to improper installation 25 years ago resulting in leaks now. The liner is 13 years old and has some fade but that's it. Just my personal experience with my pool.

I get 12.5% chlorinating liquid from my local pool store for around $3.65 per gallon (after a recent price increase) which is equivalent to $1.35 for a 96-ounce (3/4 gallon) jug of 6% bleach (which is 6.17% Trade analogous to the 12.5% number). Also, the pool store takes back the old bottles and reuses them (they charge a small refundable deposit for the bottles and the milk carton crate that holds 4 bottles) which is better than recycling the bleach bottles.

I'm pretty sure the stuff I get at Costco is 6%. I get irritated that they don't always put the percentage anywhere on the label.

At any rate, your history using Chlorine is a great endorsement.

By the way, my math was pretty messed up. 182OZ is only 1.41 Gallons. The price you're paying for the 12.5 % has me intrigued. I Where do you buy it at that price?

Rob

Holy Cow. $1.99 for a gallon of bleach? I never pay more than $1.39, by getting whichever brand is on sale. Costco sells in 182 OZ containers - 2 of them for $5.00. ($1.25 per gallon of 6.5%). I kind of like the 6.5% because it is less concentrated and mixes in better. Clorox is simply a brand name. Bleach is bleach. If you can buy 12.5% Bleach for $2.79, that seems like a pretty good deal.

If you're talking about the swimming pool shock that contains Calcium or Stabilizer which sells for about $2.77 per lb., thats another story. I don't want to put anymore Stabilier or Calcium into my pool. I have a fiberglass pool that cannot be drained, and I'm still trying to get my stabilizer to reasonable level. My calcium is also on the high side from all the years of having the pool shocked with calc and stabilizer chlorines.

Thanx,

Carl

My wife says the lowest she pays for bleach is $1.59 but it is 5.5% chlorine which is less than 1/2 the content of the liquid shock we use. I will admit that in the 10 years we have had this 25 year old inground pool we never do anything but chlorinate. Never any algae,skin irritations,or pool damage. Our pool is vinyl lined steel. My pool is crystal clear,the pump is 25 years old,the underground plumbing is in the process of being replaced by me due to improper installation 25 years ago resulting in leaks now. The liner is 13 years old and has some fade but that's it. Just my personal experience with my pool.

Job Lot.