Rotten Grass Smell Removal From Pool?

Jazzy08

Yes, I plunked down my new Easy Set 12' pool on my nice leval grass and yes, 2 weeks later I started smelling a sewer plant in my back yard.

My question is has anyone ever been able to remove that odor from their pool? It's been over 2 weeks since we took up the pool and let it dry out but I can still smell that horrible odor in the vynil of the pool.

Should we just thow it away and say lesson learned or is there hope to remove the odor? We love that pool and want to set it up (correctly) again.

Any advice would really help.

BTW, we tried bleach. :( Not much help with that horrible odor.

The smell isn't "in" the pool, it's "under" it. The only thing you can do is wait it out. When all of the grass has decomposed it will go away.

If you ever remove the pool, be ready for a slimy brown fiberous sludge that smells bad enough to put a permanent stank on the pope.

The smell isn't "in" the pool, it's "under" it. The only thing you can do is wait it out. When all of the grass has decomposed it will go away.

If you ever remove the pool, be ready for a slimy brown fiberous sludge that smells bad enough to put a permanent stank on the pope.

I guess it wasn't understood in my post that I have already removed the pool (as I stated we had taken up the pool and let it dry out already) from the ground. I know exactly what that smell is, it is the organic matter under the pool, aka, grass rotting, that makes the smell.

My question is about removing the horrible smell from the actual pool material, aka, the VYNIL pool bottom. The pool has been dried out for almost 3 weeks and we can still smell that smell on the POOL.

NOT the grass anymore.

I think we are just going to have the throw it away, but I thought someone on here might just know a good trick to removing that smell. We did chlox and Jo Max already.

Thanks for any one that can answer.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the same experience! I took down the pool and OMG the smell!! I am supposed to take the pool to my son's house for his daughters big birthday party tomorrow and you're right - the stink is still in the vinyl even tho I also scrubbed it down and layed it out to dry. Please let me know if you've found a solution - hate to stink out all the guests!

• 2 weeks later...

Vinyl will absorb odors like crazy. I know what you mean. It smells awfull! After a good washing with some soap and a pressure washer or broom, let the good ole sun shine do the rest. Since its a 12ft pool, you can put it over some chairs and the ladder if you have one and let it set in the sun for a few days. If that dont work, Toss it. I usually turn my 18ft upside down for a couple of days then rinse the inside and dry it for winter storage. Yes, its a pain!

• 12 years later...