Deck Reinforcement

Webini

My wife and I are looking to buy our first spa, 2 or 3 person. We are looking at the Solana TX and the Hot Springs Jetsetter. Pros and cons for each, but that is another topic.

The Jetsetter is the heavier of the two spas @ 2,828 lbs filled. We are going to be placing it on our deck. The deck is three years old and has pressure treated stringers and posts cemented into the ground using Sonotubes. The deck material is the composite Trex decking.

The spa will be in a corner next to a post. Can anyone give me any info as to what I need to do to reinforce the deck (if anything). I am in Maine if that matters at all.

Opinions on the two spas we are considering are welcome too. We want to stay with these brands since the local Hot Springs dealer has an excellent reputation. Thanks!

need a little more info. joist are what on center, size of post, height off the ground, center carry beam if used what size. I would say a good pratice would be to have a post under each corner of the tub and one under the center. Make sure you either use carriage bolts or for sure a good grade 3/8" lag bolts. If your joist are not knotched over top your post then for sure add sleepers under each point that they cross. When we did ours 2x10 double beam under center and a post under each corner. Just as solid as a rock. I'm not sure what it weights , but it's 500 gal. 8' tub. Hope this helps.

We are building our deck and have decided to build the spa into the deck. To do this we are building its own support structure. a 4x4 in each corner and a 6x6 in the middle, they will be concreated into the ground. This spa is about 4,032 lbs • 1,829 kg filled. Its the sundance Altamar...

what do you tihnk about that guys??

How far apart are your joists? 16" on center with Trex can give a liitle with the weight of a tub, you may want to add another joist in between existing where the tub is going. Are the posts 4x4 or 6x6? How far apart are they? The Jetsetter is 105 lbs per sq. ft. if you make a drawing of your deck and take it to your dealer (i'm guessing Mainely Hot tubs) they will have the answers for you. If you go Solana TX, it only weighs 75 lbs per sq. ft, so you would be fine if built to code. You get more jets and power with the Jetsetter, wet test the lounger - it can be uncomfy for some taller people. I have the Solana and love it.

How far apart are your joists? 16" on center with Trex can give a liitle with the weight of a tub, you may want to add another joist in between existing where the tub is going. Are the posts 4x4 or 6x6? How far apart are they? The Jetsetter is 105 lbs per sq. ft. if you make a drawing of your deck and take it to your dealer (i'm guessing Mainely Hot tubs) they will have the answers for you. If you go Solana TX, it only weighs 75 lbs per sq. ft, so you would be fine if built to code. You get more jets and power with the Jetsetter, wet test the lounger - it can be uncomfy for some taller people. I have the Solana and love it.

The posts are 4x4, joists are 2x10 16" on center. The deck is roughly 18' wide by 16' deep. All three of the posts are on the end of the deck, 3 of them roughly 7' apart. There is no center post for the deck. The deck is 3' off the ground.

The plan is to put the deck on the far left corner from the house. This is obviously the end where the posts are. We're leaning towards the Solana TX due to the deck issue (no possible way to add another post under there, too much ledge). The only real hesititation we have is the 115v heater being able to handle the Maine winter. Any thoughts there? Did you wire 115v, 15 amp or 115v, 30 amp. According to the Solana web site with the 30 amp circuit you can run the heater and jets at the same time.

Any thoughts on the deck or the TX are appreciated. Thanks!