2 Demmand Tests 2 Weeks!? Cant Hold Chlorine

have a salt system ( gold line control) My pool is basically clear but not "crystal clear" salt unit is only one season old, salt level is 3100-3300 pool is stabilized. pool is small 17,000 gal. inspected cell, looks fine. pool usuage is minimal, temp is 85ish, moderate sunlight on the pool, use solar cover.

had demmand test done at pool place, recomended 16 lbs of shock, pool got clear of course but gradually i could tell the chlorine was fading...

so i set unit to super chlorinate for 24hours, then another 8 hours at 100 setting, then 12 hours at super chlorinate then took in water sample again.. NO CHLORINE again...

did another demmand test ( about 3 weeks from first one)and again called for 16 lbs of shock...

whats eating up my chlorine?

have a salt system ( gold line control) My pool is basically clear but not "crystal clear" salt unit is only one season old, salt level is 3100-3300 pool is stabilized. pool is small 17,000 gal. inspected cell, looks fine. pool usuage is minimal, temp is 85ish, moderate sunlight on the pool, use solar cover.

had demmand test done at pool place, recomended 16 lbs of shock, pool got clear of course but gradually i could tell the chlorine was fading...

so i set unit to super chlorinate for 24hours, then another 8 hours at 100 setting, then 12 hours at super chlorinate then took in water sample again.. NO CHLORINE again...

did another demmand test ( about 3 weeks from first one)and again called for 16 lbs of shock...

See if you can get a Phosphate test done. We have a phosphate problem here i PA and it will eat the chlorine just as fast as you put it in. We also been having success with breaking a demand by using 5 gal or more of liquid chlorine.

With the salt level that high, I do not think the salt gen will run in Super chl mode. I know it will not run in normal

See if you can get a Phosphate test done. We have a phosphate problem here i PA and it will eat the chlorine just as fast as you put it in. We also been having success with breaking a demand by using 5 gal or more of liquid chlorine.

With the salt level that high, I do not think the salt gen will run in Super chl mode. I know it will not run in normal

Ditto that on the phospate check. I bet that is your problem.

is there a level of phosphate thats acceptable?

is there a level of phosphate thats acceptable?

Less than 1000 is ok lower the better. Seaklear Phosohate remover works really well

Agree, check your phosphate levels. I have a 16,500G inground. Set my Pentair SWG (IntelliChlor IC40) output at 10-15%, CYA/stabilizer levels ~60-70 and my FC tests at least 7-10ppm daily per my Taylor K-2006 test kit. Clear as can be since opening in mid-April.

Phosphates WILL devour chlorine as quickly as your SWG produces it. Given my experience w/ a pool w/ similar gallonage, something isn't right. Phosphates are the likely culprit, but excessively high CYA/stabilizer levels might also be the culprit. 60-80ppm is good for a "salt water pool," but the higher the CYA level, the higher the chlorine demand.

Don't ever use your SWG to shock/superchlorinate your pool. Will shorten the lifespan of your SWG. A few (3-5) gallons of generic, unscented, 6% bleach will work just fine. Stabilized chlorine products (like dichlor and trichlor) will raise CYA ever higher - best to establish CYA levels independently and manage chlorine w/ unstabilized forms of chlorine, e.g. bleach.

Have your phosphate and CYA levels checked at more than one pool store.