Spa Frog Floating System

Makmomom

I am switching from Nature2 to a Bromine system. I was looking into the Spa Frog Floating System. Has anyone had good luck with this system? Is it easy to understand and use?

Also, does anyone like any other Bromine spa care kits?

The Spa Frog system is basically a Nature2 system made to be compatible with Bromine.

If you were happy with the Nature2 system, you should be fine with the Spa Frog - you'll still have to keep your water balanced, but basically a set it and forget it type of a system like the Nature 2.

Hope this helps.

tom the spa guy

The Spa Frog system is basically a Nature2 system made to be compatible with Bromine.

If you were happy with the Nature2 system, you should be fine with the Spa Frog - you'll still have to keep your water balanced, but basically a set it and forget it type of a system like the Nature 2.

Hope this helps.

tom the spa guy

I am not happy with the Nature 2. Should I forget about the Frog and go to something else? I would like to stick with bromine.

I am not happy with the Nature 2. Should I forget about the Frog and go to something else? I would like to stick with bromine.

If you are not happy with Nature2 (copper/silver) then you probably wont be happy with spafrog (silver/zinc) or any other ionizer or 'mineral' (marketing term for metals!) system.

If you are not happy with Nature2 (copper/silver) then you probably wont be happy with spafrog (silver/zinc) or any other ionizer or 'mineral' (marketing term for metals!) system.

Do you have any suggestions for other chemical systems that utilize Bromine?

There is really one one "system that utilizes bromine'....that is bromine.

To use bromine first you balance the spa water in terms of total alkalinity, pH, calcium hardness, and treat for metals if present (just like with ANY sanitation system....no change here!) then you add sodium bromide to the water to create your bromine bank.

Next you add an oxidizer to the water to convert the bromine to hypobromous acid (sometimes called shocking). Suitable oxidizers are liquid chlorine (laundry bleach), MPS (non chlorine shock) Dichlor (stabilizied granular chlorine), ozone. If you use a chlorine souce be aware that NO chlorine will remain...it is instantly converted into bromine sanitizer!

Keep your bromine levels at 6-8 ppm...if they drop then shock to raise them.

If you like you can also add a floater with bromine tablets to help maintain a more constant bromine level (bromine tablets also contain either chlorine or MPS, no exceptions!) Bromine tablets without the sodium bromide first are NOT sufficient to sanitize the water! You still need to shock even with the tablets, btw.

The sodium bromide is only added on each refill of the spa....after that shocking is all that is needed to reactivate the bromine.

Were you using chlorine with your Nature 2?

If you use Nature 2 and just add 1 TSP of dichlor AFTER each use it should work like a charm. If you were not adding a little chlroine after each use but were maybe adding MPS each use there is your issue. The Nature 2 cartridge is there to HELP you care for your water and when dealers try to tell you it can replace the chlorine you run into issues.

Not a Bromine fan FWIW.

I am switching from Nature2 to a Bromine system. I was looking into the Spa Frog Floating System. Has anyone had good luck with this system? Is it easy to understand and use?

Also, does anyone like any other Bromine spa care kits?

One thing about bromine is that the water will always stay clear.

I think there may be some confusion here. I think you are referring to the Frog floating system that has a frog mineral stick and a bromine cartridge inserted into a specially made floater. This is simply a special product marketed by the Frog people to accomplish the same thing as using a frog mineral stick in your filter and a traditional bromine floater. That is the system I use. It works well when you learn it. I don't see why the frog floating system would not work just as well. Just realize, you are essentally using a classic bromine floater system with the supplemental help of the mineral stick.

I think there may be some confusion here. I think you are referring to the Frog floating system that has a frog mineral stick and a bromine cartridge inserted into a specially made floater. This is simply a special product marketed by the Frog people to accomplish the same thing as using a frog mineral stick in your filter and a traditional bromine floater. That is the system I use. It works well when you learn it. I don't see why the frog floating system would not work just as well. Just realize, you are essentally using a classic bromine floater system with the supplemental help of the mineral stick.

No confusion at all....all 'mineral' (a marketing work for metals) systems in the U.S. will tell you that you can use a lower sanitizer level and still have properly sanitized water. According to recent info on water borne pathogen kill times this is simply not true because there is NOT enough residual sanitizer in the water at the recommended low levels. You can use them successfully with normal sanitizer levels but why bother? Plain chlorine sanitation (my first choice) or bromine sanitation (good for indoor spas) is really very easy.

Were you using chlorine with your Nature 2?

If you use Nature 2 and just add 1 TSP of dichlor AFTER each use it should work like a charm. If you were not adding a little chlroine after each use but were maybe adding MPS each use there is your issue. The Nature 2 cartridge is there to HELP you care for your water and when dealers try to tell you it can replace the chlorine you run into issues.

Not a Bromine fan FWIW.

The nature2 directions state to add in 1 TBLS of Non-chlorine Oxidizer (Shock) per 250 gallons before each use. It says to only use dichlor if it looks hazy or at the start-up when you add in fresh water. This is where I am getting different opinions. I am not sure when to add in the shock and the dichlor. Some people have said they follow the directions and it works. Some say it does not work and they add in dichlor after each use instead of the shock.

If I add in the dichlor after each use, when do I add in shock? Once per week?

The nature2 directions state to add in 1 TBLS of Non-chlorine Oxidizer (Shock) per 250 gallons before each use. It says to only use dichlor if it looks hazy or at the start-up when you add in fresh water. This is where I am getting different opinions. I am not sure when to add in the shock and the dichlor. Some people have said they follow the directions and it works. Some say it does not work and they add in dichlor after each use instead of the shock.

If I add in the dichlor after each use, when do I add in shock? Once per week?

If you read the very small print on the bottom of the N2 directions it says that you can use dichlor instead of non chlorine shock. IMHO, this is the preferred way to do it! The dichlor IS your shock!

If you read the very small print on the bottom of the N2 directions it says that you can use dichlor instead of non chlorine shock. IMHO, this is the preferred way to do it! The dichlor IS your shock!

My spa is 480 gallons. So, I add in 1 tsp of dichlor AFTER each use. Then weekly, I shock with dichlor at the rate of 2tsp? I just want to be sure my measurements are correct.

So, if I use dichlor for shock and sanitizer, I don't need the Spa shock. Correct?

My spa is 480 gallons. So, I add in 1 tsp of dichlor AFTER each use. Then weekly, I shock with dichlor at the rate of 2tsp? I just want to be sure my measurements are correct.

So, if I use dichlor for shock and sanitizer, I don't need the Spa shock. Correct?

I would think not....what is the ingredient in the Spa shock? is it a chlorine compound or a non chlorine shock?