Control Pack Integration

Here's one for the super tech's. I have my tub/deck project 90% complete. It's a combination of an old Jacuzzi tub, Balboa Lite Leader Spa Pack and a Sta-Rite 3/4Hp 2 speed motor. Everything works great and it maintains 102 with no problems.

I am in the building automation business, HVAC/Security/Access Control/Lighting etc all bundled together.

I am building a home automation system out of obsolete parts that we can no longer use. The system will control landscape lights, sprinklers, A/C units pool equipment, you get the picture, and would like to integrate the tub controls

Here's the question, does anyone know the communication protocol that the Balboa's Spa pack uses? It has a RJ11 connection from the control pad to the control board.

If it uses ModBus, LON or BacNet it would be easy, if I new what to ask for (Protocol) the folks at BlackBox could help me out.

I know this is a bit techie but Balboa has been useless. They no longer speak to end users and the local spa people give me the dear in the headlights look.

Responses are always appreciated.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Benjamin Franklin

Here's one for the super tech's. I have my tub/deck project 90% complete. It's a combination of an old Jacuzzi tub, Balboa Lite Leader Spa Pack and a Sta-Rite 3/4Hp 2 speed motor. Everything works great and it maintains 102 with no problems.

I am in the building automation business, HVAC/Security/Access Control/Lighting etc all bundled together.

I am building a home automation system out of obsolete parts that we can no longer use. The system will control landscape lights, sprinklers, A/C units pool equipment, you get the picture, and would like to integrate the tub controls

Here's the question, does anyone know the communication protocol that the Balboa's Spa pack uses? It has a RJ11 connection from the control pad to the control board.

If it uses ModBus, LON or BacNet it would be easy, if I new what to ask for (Protocol) the folks at BlackBox could help me out.

I know this is a bit techie but Balboa has been useless. They no longer speak to end users and the local spa people give me the dear in the headlights look.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Benjamin Franklin

Balboa is trying to protect themselves that is all. I would have to say you would need to figure out how make your stuff work like there topside control unit.

Benjamin Franklin

Balboa is trying to protect themselves that is all. I would have to say you would need to figure out how make your stuff work like there topside control unit.

We were told that they have their own communication protocal?!? They will of coase sell you their own automated system or you can use a Jandy

Benjamin Franklin

We were told that they have their own communication protocal?!? They will of coase sell you their own automated system or you can use a Jandy

Do you mean using a Jandy system and omitting the Balboa system?

Hey All,

Actually got a Balboa Rep on the phone, bent the truth and said I was in the automation industry and was calling for a client, call took 10 seconds.

Balboa says no way to integrate even with a third party communication box.

I've started building my own controller using one of my modules, just want to make sure I get a heater the exact same dimensions so I can R&R the balboa gear with out modifying the piping much.

Thanks for the responses we'll see how it shakes out.

"A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats."

Benjamin Franklin

No offense to the lawyers out there.

• 9 years later...

Just curious if you made any progress with this. I am now on my second hot tub that has been a royal PITA debugging and I absolutely hate the archaic control boards. It looks like they designed them in the 1980's and then never touched the design since. All the simple control stuff is easy, all the sensors and safety switches are easy. Programming is easy. The problem is I can't find any documentation on the interface used to talk between the control board and the top-side board. I had an old one (from the previous spa) that was replaced because it failed, so I ripped it apart and I see the RJ11 just goes into 4 wires in the control box. Assuming one is power and one is ground, that leaves 2 wires. The communication is obviously bidirectional as the control board can send data like error codes and sensor information (spa temp) to the top-side control and the topside control can send information back to the control board like button presses for jets or temp adjustment, etc.

Since these boards looks to be as old as dirt, my guess would be either a UART or something like I2C where the control board master polls the top-side slave.

Before I dig into this, anybody figure it out already?

• 3 months later...

I haven't figured it out, but I have messed around a bit.  You mention an RJ11 socket, so I think you must be looking at a Lite Leader system - is that right?  I am looking at Balboa GS systems, with 8-pin RJ45 plug.  I don't have any experience with this type of engineering, but I have friends who know more than me, and who lent me a Bus Pirate.  I think it's UART.  I'm going to keep playing with it, and I would be interested to share information.