Anyone Own An Infinity Laguna Spa?

MedmanTn

I see that Costco has an Infinity Laguna Spa on sale for 2999.99. This seems like a super price. I have been wanting a spa for a few years and last year I was in a wreck which makes me want one even more. The older I get the more I hurt:) Does anyone have an Infinity Laguna Spa and is it worth the $. I live in Nashville TN so the electric during the summer shouldn't be bad and winters are not that harsh either. I have never owned a spa and don't want to make a misteak on the one I purchase. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that Costco has an Infinity Laguna Spa on sale for 2999.99. This seems like a super price. I have been wanting a spa for a few years and last year I was in a wreck which makes me want one even more. The older I get the more I hurt:) Does anyone have an Infinity Laguna Spa and is it worth the $. I live in Nashville TN so the electric during the summer shouldn't be bad and winters are not that harsh either. I have never owned a spa and don't want to make a misteak on the one I purchase. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It's up to you, If you want a 3000 dollar spa Costco is the best way to go with there return policy. But if you want a 6000 dollar spa which will last longer and give you less trouble than the 3000 dollar spa, the Hot Springs model at Costco or everal other brands are available out there. But The Infinity at Costco is NOT a 6000 dollar spa for 3000 dollars. Its a 2500 dollar spa for 3000 dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

It's up to you, If you want a 3000 dollar spa Costco is the best way to go with there return policy. But if you want a 6000 dollar spa which will last longer and give you less trouble than the 3000 dollar spa, the Hot Springs model at Costco or everal other brands are available out there. But The Infinity at Costco is NOT a 6000 dollar spa for 3000 dollars. Its a 2500 dollar spa for 3000 dollars.

Tell me more what to look for. The Infinity Laguna is so tempting. I have been looking at spas for over a month now. I was able to see a one year old Infinity sun peak at a neighbors, and it looked very nice. I have looked at a $6,000 river ridge and a $6,814.00 Tiger River, a $5864.00 Hot Spot, a $8,000.00 Hot Spring Sovereign.

All had less features than the Infinity on paper.... The HS Sovereign was the only spa that looked like I might be getting some better guts.... It just looked inside to me...but I don't know exactly what I need to look for.

Why should I spend $5,000.00 more for more insulation, a circulation pump, and 25 Less jets?

This is not a challenge question, I just need help. This stuff is so confusing. When I visit the local spa dealers I feel like I am buying a car and should know how to haggle with them. As I was walking out of one where I has spent a while they came running after me and said they could drop the price of a spa I was looking at by $1,000.00 (It was would have been $7,000.00) They should have just gave me that price to start out.

How much markup is there in these things?

I have purchased big items from costco before and have only had one problem. Both Costco and the Manufacture took care of it...and went above and beyond.

Costco's sale end tonight on this tub and I am so torn. Even if it costs twice as much in electricity it will still be cheaper even after many years.

I will make up my mind in a few hours, but will check back her first.

Thanks,

Anthony

Tell me more what to look for. The Infinity Laguna is so tempting. I have been looking at spas for over a month now. I was able to see a one year old Infinity sun peak at a neighbors, and it looked very nice. I have looked at a $6,000 river ridge and a $6,814.00 Tiger River, a $5864.00 Hot Spot, a $8,000.00 Hot Spring Sovereign.

All had less features than the Infinity on paper.... The HS Sovereign was the only spa that looked like I might be getting some better guts.... It just looked inside to me...but I don't know exactly what I need to look for.

Why should I spend $5,000.00 more for more insulation, a circulation pump, and 25 Less jets?

This is not a challenge question, I just need help. This stuff is so confusing. When I visit the local spa dealers I feel like I am buying a car and should know how to haggle with them. As I was walking out of one where I has spent a while they came running after me and said they could drop the price of a spa I was looking at by $1,000.00 (It was would have been $7,000.00) They should have just gave me that price to start out.

How much markup is there in these things?

I have purchased big items from costco before and have only had one problem. Both Costco and the Manufacture took care of it...and went above and beyond.

Costco's sale end tonight on this tub and I am so torn. Even if it costs twice as much in electricity it will still be cheaper even after many years.

I will make up my mind in a few hours, but will check back her first.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony, I am in the same boat as you, ready to hit "add to cart" at Costco, just nervous especially with the comment from the Tech guy... I too would like a bit more info from him.

If I don't get this hot tub - I probably won't get one, I am frugal and just continue to use the hot water in my bathtub for my back every day - so much for saving water.

Did you make a decision yet?

Anthony, I am in the same boat as you, ready to hit "add to cart" at Costco, just nervous especially with the comment from the Tech guy... I too would like a bit more info from him.

If I don't get this hot tub - I probably won't get one, I am frugal and just continue to use the hot water in my bathtub for my back every day - so much for saving water.

I thought about it and read every post I could...well I pulled the trigger and ordered it. We will see. I will try to keep folks informed of my experience on this board. I know I could have spent $8,000.00 and most likely have a great experience and a long lasting spa.

I will test the fates.... I just didn't get enough of a warm fuzzy from the spa dealers in my area.

There is great advice on this forum.

Thanks.

Anthony

It's like a Kia vs. a BMW when you compare these Costco Infinity tubs to the likes of Hot Spring, Sundance and the like. You don't get nearly as good of a spa, but it still is a spa. Also, you usually get a more full-service experience when you buy the upper echelon spas. I've really never understood the argument. As long as people aren't deluded into thinking that a $3000 spa from Costco is equivalent to a $7000 spa from a dealer, then who cares what people buy. But if you come to this board asking about the Kia, don't expect us to tell you that it's just like the BMW because it's not. Good luck with your purchase. You may need it.

You will enjoy your Infinity very much. It is a good introduction into the spa experience. As long as your expectations are where they need to be when you purchase a lower quality unit. If you let spec sheets make your decision then your choice will be clear. 30 bullet jets does not equal more jets. 5 BHP (Brake Horse Power) pumps are not 5 HP pumps they are about 2.5 HP Most dealers list true HP not BHP Poor plumbing can make 2.5 HP feel like 1. Engineered plumbing can make 2.5 HP feel like 5. Longevity is important to some people but not all people. A maufacturer with a long standing reputation builds tubs to last for 15 years or more. Infinity builds 5-8 year tubs and cuts even more corners to meet the Coscto price point. These are just a few of the differences along with service and warranty and help from a local dealer and wet testing to see if it is even comfortable for you. But for 3000 bucks you will be able to enjoy the Hot Tub lifestyle for a few years. Happy tubbing.

You will enjoy your Infinity very much. It is a good introduction into the spa experience. As long as your expectations are where they need to be when you purchase a lower quality unit. If you let spec sheets make your decision then your choice will be clear. 30 bullet jets does not equal more jets. 5 BHP (Brake Horse Power) pumps are not 5 HP pumps they are about 2.5 HP Most dealers list true HP not BHP Poor plumbing can make 2.5 HP feel like 1. Engineered plumbing can make 2.5 HP feel like 5. Longevity is important to some people but not all people. A maufacturer with a long standing reputation builds tubs to last for 15 years or more. Infinity builds 5-8 year tubs and cuts even more corners to meet the Coscto price point. These are just a few of the differences along with service and warranty and help from a local dealer and wet testing to see if it is even comfortable for you. But for 3000 bucks you will be able to enjoy the Hot Tub lifestyle for a few years. Happy tubbing.

Roger, Your explanation/info makes perfect sense! While I hope I don't regret my decision, I will look at my new tub as getting my feet wet, so to speak, in the world to hot tubs. I think I now have the right expectations. Thanks again.

Roger, Your explanation/info makes perfect sense! While I hope I don't regret my decision, I will look at my new tub as getting my feet wet, so to speak, in the world to hot tubs. I think I now have the right expectations. Thanks again.

Anthony, I am in the same boat too. I live in Austin Tx. I called Infinity and spoke with a very nice lady. She very helpful, answered all of my questions and sent me more information about both the Laguna and Sun Peak. She also mentioned that they have service techs in our area (as well as most metropolitan areas) for service/warranty issues. She informed me that Costco usually runs a sale in the May and end of July. Because of the information she gave me, I would prefer the Sunpeak and I will wait if/when it goes on sale again. (She didn't say it would, Costco determines that. But that's the pattern they have run). As I am sure you have, I have read countless threads about people arguing the quality of Costco spas. My own conclusion about Infinity is that it's a decent tub and you can add some extra insulation to improve the heating efficiency. Please come back to the board with pics, and your order/delivery/setup experience once you have it.

My own conclusion about Infinity is that it's a decent tub and you can add some extra insulation to improve the heating efficiency. Please come back to the board with pics, and your order/delivery/setup experience once you have it.

If I wasn't in the spa industry, was younger and was looking for a spa I might conclude Infinity "looks decent" but I'd suspect it was because my eyes would be fixated on the price tag. In the end I think it's a spa that will cost twice as much per month to operate than a well insulated spa. That obviously depends on where you live but I'd plan on an extra $40 to $80/month depending on your situation so fator that in when you see the price tag.

I'd also expect it to be a haul away spa in 6 to 9 years depending on how much babysitting I'd want to do. At this point in my life I concentrate more on value than simply price tag so its not for me but for a true DIYer who wants to get his feet wet with his first spa I understand the appeal of the price tag and the fact that they've dressed it up enough to make it look ok (just like all new cars look nice but down the road the differences show...).

Here is a previous thread started by someone who services that type spa (which is made by Infinity in their Texas plant) that I think is informative on both sides with a couple owners chiming in who seem to understand what they purchased.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10797

In the end I think it's a spa that will cost twice as much per month to operate than a well insulated spa. That obviously depends on where you live but I'd plan on an extra $40 to $80/month depending on your situation so fator that in when you see the price tag.

We live in southern DE. Our Sunpeak added about $30-$40 a month to last winter's electric bills. That was based on the spa being used twice a week for about 45 minutes each time with the temp. set at 101 degrees. We did add extra insulation and used a floating blanket and we keep the spa in economy mode.

Sandi

My own conclusion about Infinity is that it's a decent tub and you can add some extra insulation to improve the heating efficiency. Please come back to the board with pics, and your order/delivery/setup experience once you have it.

If I wasn't in the spa industry, was younger and was looking for a spa I might conclude Infinity "looks decent" but I'd suspect it was because my eyes would be fixated on the price tag. In the end I think it's a spa that will cost twice as much per month to operate than a well insulated spa. That obviously depends on where you live but I'd plan on an extra $40 to $80/month depending on your situation so fator that in when you see the price tag.

I'd also expect it to be a haul away spa in 6 to 9 years depending on how much babysitting I'd want to do. At this point in my life I concentrate more on value than simply price tag so its not for me but for a true DIYer who wants to get his feet wet with his first spa I understand the appeal of the price tag and the fact that they've dressed it up enough to make it look ok (just like all new cars look nice but down the road the differences show...).

Here is a previous thread started by someone who services that type spa (which is made by Infinity in their Texas plant) that I think is informative on both sides with a couple owners chiming in who seem to understand what they purchased.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10797

Value IS a function of the price tag. It's what you get in return for what is paid. Would I pay Costco's regular price for that tub? Probably not. Would I pay the sale price? Probably. I have been reading these threads, including the one you posted, for months now. As it's stated in other posts, it's like comparing a Kia to a BMW. How many people get a BMW for their first car? Other Infinity Spa owners with whom I have corresponded stated they have seen very little change in their electric bill (with added insulation) albeit they are in warmer climates like me. The particular link you posted discusses a Keys Backyard spa. Unless I misunderstood the Infinity rep, the Laguna and Sunpeak are manufactured in Johnson City TN. I was just stating my opinion on what I will probably choose, based on my own research. There are several people who are considering a Costco tub for their first purchase. I was sharing my initial experience with Infinity for those in the same situation as me. When I contacted Infinity, I received information from them instead of a "high pressure sales pitch" that I have received from my local dealers. With the information I received from them I was able to determine that the Costco tub, Laguna, (on sale at the time) was not the tub for me, and I didn't make the purchase.

Value IS a function of the price tag. It's what you get in return for what is paid.

The price is one facet. Other things like longevity, cost of operation, up time, servicability and quality in gernal are other facets.

Other Infinity Spa owners with whom I have corresponded stated they have seen very little change in their electric bill (with added insulation) albeit they are in warmer climates like me. The particular link you posted discusses a Keys Backyard spa.

They aren't stating reality IMO. Any Infinity spa purchased with the insulation as is will cost double what a well insulated similarly sized spa will cost to operate. Certainly you can improve on its insulation and make your monthly bill more palatable but anyone saying it’s about the same as a well insulated spa needs to get a spa meter and get real usage numbers; it won't be pretty.

I had the Costco Sunpeak. When it received it, it all looked good but after I got it into my backyard and looked at it more I noticed they had either drilled the jet hole in the wrong place or it just broke and they did a very poor patch job. However, they were willing to replace the tub but I didn't want to get it out of my backyard (it was a pain in the ass). So they agreed they would warranty the shell for life in that area. When I went to change the water I found out that the filter was all chewed up and broke, as well as the piping below the filter was broken. It looked like they hadn't used enough glue when gluing together the pipe. It this point I decided to take down my fence again and return the spa. Costco arranged for pickup and it was hauled off a couple of weeks later. Also, the electricity usage seemed fairly consistent to others at around 350kwh/month. Which here ran me $110-150/month because it put me into a $.33 and $.31/kwh rate for PG&E.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the Infinity Laguna from Costco and have been using it for a couple of weeks now. This can be a great tub for anyone with a budget and managed expectations. Yes, installation required some friends and a couple of furniture dollies and plywood sheets from work. It's very true that the insulation is sad (haven't got my first electric bill yet so don't know what's going to happen). The tub makes a noisy hum when the pump is on. I also had my share of manufacturing errors that I had to find and then fix. In my case, the light wasn't connected (easy), the blower cable was wired wrong, and water backs up into the ozonator tube. I plugged in the light, rewired the blower cable, and put a zip-tie on the ozonator tube to keep it from disconnecting. My guess is that each tub comes with a few different manufacturing goofs and that you just have to be handy and prepared to find them and remedy them. Fortunately mine didn't have any serious plumming issues or leaks that I couldn't fix myself. That would have been a pain because I live in Albuquerque and Infinity apparently doesn't have someone here to do plumming or electrical repairs. You might want to check in your area before you buy in case you're in the same situation.

Now that I'm past the initial bumps in the road, I am very happy to have my tub. The tub looks nice and is very roomy and comfortable. Plus, if you turn off the jets to all but one seat, you really get blasted!

Other coments:

The "blower" that the Laguna has in place of the second pump is loud and stupid. Air bubbles come through the normal jets anyway, so the blower is just an extra gimmick that I will probably never use. I suppose if you just like your spa to feel and sound like armageddon, then the blower is for you.

Also, unless you're pretty short, you will not fit in the seat with the shoulder jets unless you slouch big time.

I wouldn't have been willing to pay $2K more for a tub from a local dealer, so the Laguna is the tub for me. Even if it only lasts a few years, by then I will probably be looking to buy a new house and/or be sick of tubbing all the time.

I hear a lot of people talking about adding insulation to the Infinity spas. Are you guys just getting the foam from Home Depot (or whatever) and applying it yourself, or did you find somebody in the yellow pages.... or what?

I hear a lot of people talking about adding insulation to the Infinity spas. Are you guys just getting the foam from Home Depot (or whatever) and applying it yourself, or did you find somebody in the yellow pages.... or what?

I insulated my spa on my own with rigid foam panels I purchased from Lowes. HD probably sells similar items. Some pictures and a description can be found in my original post here.

HTH,

Ken

In my case, the light wasn't connected (easy), the blower cable was wired wrong, and water backs up into the ozonator tube. I plugged in the light, rewired the blower cable, and put a zip-tie on the ozonator tube to keep it from disconnecting. My guess is that each tub comes with a few different manufacturing goofs and that you just have to be handy and prepared to find them and remedy them. Fortunately mine didn't have any serious plumming issues or leaks that I couldn't fix myself.

Wow... this is discouraging. :unsure:

I too clicked on the Add to cart button on that infamous night of 8/2 and now I am kind of worried about what I am going to get here. Problem for me is that the tub is going to be "integrated" in a deck that is being built. I better run it at first for a little while to see if all is ok.

The good news is that the only feature I wanted seems to be available:

Plus, if you turn off the jets to all but one seat, you really get blasted!

That comforts me! B)

Anybody received this tub without defects???

Dude I'll bet 99% of the people who got this tub did so without defects. Remember that chem 101 is not some magical wizard spell that only hot tub dealers undertand, insulation can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot, and DYI folks can get around most of these issues easily. Feel confident in your purchase, save money when you can, and enjoy the hot water!

Dude I'll bet 99% of the people who got this tub did so without defects. Remember that chem 101 is not some magical wizard spell that only hot tub dealers undertand, insulation can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot, and DYI folks can get around most of these issues easily. Feel confident in your purchase, save money when you can, and enjoy the hot water!

That's exactly what I was hoping. I figured only the people that had problems posted in the forums, and that for every one of those people, there were probably 99 people out there that had no problems and you just don't hear from them. Well, I bought the tub and guess what, it had problems.

For all you people out there waiting for the tub to arrive, or wondering whether to buy the tub, just make sure you EXPECT there to be issues, but take comfort that the issues will be fixable and that you will have saved $2K.

I think that a much smaller percentage of people will have bigger issues that they won't be able to fix themselves. This may be a real hassle because you will have to work with Infinity long distance to get it resolved and, depending on where you live, this could range from "kind of a hassle" to "major pain in the arse." Personally, I'd say $2K is worth this gamble.

Call Infinity and ask them to look up in their computer the local service company that they contract with in your area. Then call this local company and ask them what kind of service they do. In my case, there is only one local company that Infinity knows about and when I called them, they said they ONLY do shell repair. If I have problems with my electrical or plumbing that I can't fix myself, I'm going to be in a pickle. Infinity said they would figure something out, but it would take a while. I haven't heard from them in a couple of weeks and when I call them I just get put on hold forever. Fortunately, my tub is working ok right now and I have been really enjoying it, but there is a potential disaster brewing here.

That's exactly what I was hoping. I figured only the people that had problems posted in the forums, and that for every one of those people, there were probably 99 people out there that had no problems and you just don't hear from them. Well, I bought the tub and guess what, it had problems.

For all you people out there waiting for the tub to arrive, or wondering whether to buy the tub, just make sure you EXPECT there to be issues, but take comfort that the issues will be fixable and that you will have saved $2K.

For every one that reports a problem here on the forum, there are 99 who don't report there problems.....

What you guys are saying is ludicrist. To assume one problem for every 99 without problems is a bunch of baloney, Just like me saying for every problem there are 99 people who have problems but don't report them here!!

In my case, the light wasn't connected (easy), the blower cable was wired wrong, and water backs up into the ozonator tube. I plugged in the light, rewired the blower cable, and put a zip-tie on the ozonator tube to keep it from disconnecting. My guess is that each tub comes with a few different manufacturing goofs and that you just have to be handy and prepared to find them and remedy them. Fortunately mine didn't have any serious plumming issues or leaks that I couldn't fix myself.

Wow... this is discouraging. :unsure:

I too clicked on the Add to cart button on that infamous night of 8/2 and now I am kind of worried about what I am going to get here. Problem for me is that the tub is going to be "integrated" in a deck that is being built. I better run it at first for a little while to see if all is ok.

The good news is that the only feature I wanted seems to be available:

Plus, if you turn off the jets to all but one seat, you really get blasted!

That comforts me! B)

Anybody received this tub without defects???

Hey B!

I know decks can be really pricey, I don't think it is a smart thing to do, having a tub prone to problems recessed in a deck. If you were trying to save some money by buying that brand okay, but this kind of tub should be placed on a deck so when you do have problems they can be easily accessible so that you are able to fix them.

Happy tubbing!

I think that a much smaller percentage of people will have bigger issues that they won't be able to fix themselves. This may be a real hassle because you will have to work with Infinity long distance to get it resolved and, depending on where you live, this could range from "kind of a hassle" to "major pain in the arse." Personally, I'd say $2K is worth this gamble.

Call Infinity and ask them to look up in their computer the local service company that they contract with in your area. Then call this local company and ask them what kind of service they do. In my case, there is only one local company that Infinity knows about and when I called them, they said they ONLY do shell repair. If I have problems with my electrical or plumbing that I can't fix myself, I'm going to be in a pickle. Infinity said they would figure something out, but it would take a while. I haven't heard from them in a couple of weeks and when I call them I just get put on hold forever. Fortunately, my tub is working ok right now and I have been really enjoying it, but there is a potential disaster brewing here.

Ok... so I am now in "expecting a problem" mode because with my luck, I will be part of the unfortunate 1% <_< . I'll run it for 2 weeks before I put it in its final enclosure and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your experience here, Jman03. Can you provide some details on the actual problems you encountered?

Thanks

Nic in Ric

Well, at first it was just stupid things. The light wasn't plugged in...fixed that in 2 seconds. Took me a while longer to figure out that the blower (which I never use anyway) wasn't wired correctly. There is a cable coming out of the control box (not the panel but the big box down inside the cabinet) ending in a large plastic 4-pin connector. The cable from the blower comes around from the side of the tub and plugs into this first cable with a matching connector. The cables only consist of 3 wires, so, so one pin on each connector is empty. Some idiot at infinity wired the two halves of the connector so that the white wires coming in from each side "missed" each other. The mistake was plainly visible and once I noticed it, I just clipped off the connectors and replaced them with some from home depot. This was a random manufacturing goof that nobody else on this forum will probably ever experience. Instead, you'll probably have some other goof that you'll have to identify and fix. Or you'll be lucky and have a perfect tub.

The biggest problem I've had has been water pumping back from the footwell jet into the .5" tube that comes from the ozonator. This water was pushing back against the flow-valve that keeps water from flowing all the way back into the ozonator. Eventually this pressure would "spit" the .25" feed tube from the ozonator out of the .5" tube that connects it to the footwell jet. This would leave the .5" tube spewing water all over the inside of the cabinet. Fortunately I would notice the sound of the spewing water (and the reduction in water level), jump out, unscrew the cabinet, and plug the ozonator feed tube back in. Unfortunately, it would just happen again the next night. I now have some zip-ties on the tubes to keep them from disconnecting, but this doesn't solve the problem of the water backing up from the footwell jet. I'm wondering if the ozonator is hooked up incorrectly or if there is something wrong with the footwell jet. If there is anybody out there with a Laguna (or familiar with one), I would like to compare notes.

Last night I noticed a banging sound coming from the side of the tub when I turn on the air to that side. I have yet to diagnose this problem.

I would definitely go get some insulation foam and supplement the insulation on your tub before putting it into its final enclosure.

Thanks Jman03... I printed this explanation just in case this site goes down under and I have the same problems. I should receive the spa middle of next week.

Good stuff on the insulation. I am schedule for (yet another) trip to Lowes this week end and I'll get all this.

In the :rolleyes: unexpected event that I am indeed lucky, I'll take some pictures of how the wiring, tubing and all that junk is connected on mine...

Thanks again and good luck with the banging sound. :mellow: