Is The Intex Saltwater System Any Good?

We have a 16ft Intex above ground pool, and are wondering about transferring from chlorine to a salt water system. Intex now do their Intex Saltwater Pool System, and we're wondering if anyone has any experience with it...

Any thoughts gratefully received,

Many thanks in advance

I have a 16x48 ultra frame pool from intex with the saltwater system 8220 (standalone without pump).

The system works super.

But make sure you have the right amount of salt in the pool, when there is to much or to less salt in the pool the SWG,gives an error and doesn't work.

In the manual it sas between 2.5 and 3.5 ppm the system works.

My pool had 3.3ppm salt and it didn't work.

After draining the ppol and adding fresh water the level was 3ppm.

It works fine now.

No saltwater taste,no wrinkeld hands,hair is fine,badingsuits keep their collers,no red eyes when you open them under water.

I never have problems with my water,PH fine,chlorine level fine.

It is realy a good investent.

The only thing that i am ging to change next year is an other pump (sandfilterpump).

I have a 16x48 ultra frame pool from intex with the saltwater system 8220 (standalone without pump).

The system works super.

But make sure you have the right amount of salt in the pool, when there is to much or to less salt in the pool the SWG,gives an error and doesn't work.

In the manual it sas between 2.5 and 3.5 ppm the system works.

My pool had 3.3ppm salt and it didn't work.

After draining the ppol and adding fresh water the level was 3ppm.

It works fine now.

No saltwater taste,no wrinkeld hands,hair is fine,badingsuits keep their collers,no red eyes when you open them under water.

I never have problems with my water,PH fine,chlorine level fine.

It is realy a good investent.

The only thing that i am ging to change next year is an other pump (sandfilterpump).

There seems to be a problem when you use the system at a temp. of 16 deg.cent. or below.

Many thanks for your replies. It's great to get good news about it from Ronald and obviously less great to hear from Strannik many people have problems with the Intex Saltwater system.

I see Strannik you are an expert in saltwater chlorination - a 16ft Intex above ground pool is only small (15m3) and cheap and it seemed appropriate to install an Intex system for it at not too great expense - wouldn't anything else be overkill? What are people's problems with them, it would be great to find out from you if you wouldn't mind...

Again, many thanks

I installed the Intex 8110 (w/o pump) for my 15'x48" MF about a week ago and so far it's

been working great.

The salt makes the water more pleasant and the unit generates enough chlorine during

the 3 hours that I'm running it at night, although it's currently almost a 100 degrees

and sunny during the day here in SoCal. Thank God for this pool! ;)

I had initially put a bit too much salt in and I'm roughly at 3600ppm right now, but the unit

is working without complaining. And the salt level will eventually drop to were it should be.

I don't know how well it will operate over time, but for under $200 it's worth a try I'd say.

Get some salt test-strips. They're around $8 for 10 strips on eBay.

Kyle.

Many thanks for your replies. It's great to get good news about it from Ronald and obviously less great to hear from Strannik many people have problems with the Intex Saltwater system.

I see Strannik you are an expert in saltwater chlorination - a 16ft Intex above ground pool is only small (15m3) and cheap and it seemed appropriate to install an Intex system for it at not too great expense - wouldn't anything else be overkill? What are people's problems with them, it would be great to find out from you if you wouldn't mind...

Again, many thanks

Usually it's a problem with it not recognizing the salt level correctly and starting to show low salt alarm and switching off.

There was a thread on it on another forum, but i cannot seem to access it anymore.

Here is one, it might have the link to another forum as well

Now with regards to other SWGs, few manufacturers make suitable models, but they will be more expensive.

Next one by price would be ChlorEase, but it has some issues as well.

We have a unit called RPMINI, which will be good for that pool or RP15 - next step up. Another one to check out would be AutoPilot's SpaPilot, but i'm not sure if it will be able to do a pool of this size, something to check with them.

Many thanks again for your replies, it is really appreciated. I have to say it does seem worth a try. I don't think I can try the RPMINI, or RP15, as I'm writing from France, unless you know a distributor here (I can buy Intex here).

Anyway, I will give feedback as to how it goes...

Many thanks again for your replies, it is really appreciated. I have to say it does seem worth a try. I don't think I can try the RPMINI, or RP15, as I'm writing from France, unless you know a distributor here (I can buy Intex here).

Here is what I found

http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-swg-t1090.html?hilit=Saltwater

Hope this helps

You can buy it from company callled ChloreNaturel (http://www.chlorenaturel.fr/), or you could buy it from me ;)

Many thanks Mumpelnc for your very useful link, and Strannik for your offer.

I've been to the site http://www.chlorenaturel.fr. They don't mention if it's okay for small (ours is 15m3) above ground pools, they don't mention the models RPMINI or RP15, and they don't give prices - I think they may only sell to distributors, but I've written to them to find out.

What makes these models better than an Intex and how much do they cost? Also presumably from the States there would be shipping costs...

RPMINI is a model for spas and small AG pools. Depending on your chlorine demand it may, or may not be enough for 15m3. RP15 will be enough for sure.

If i remember correctly - their RP15 model would be labelled CP-23, RPMINI - CP-12

They are main distributor in France, not sure if they would sell to general public or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I have purchased two of these. The Intex Deluxe Saltwater System. Bought it at Wallmart. Inexpensive & works great. The first one worked great but the puppy decided she'd chew up the electrical connections. While waiting to decide if I was going the chemical route or purchasing another one the pool turned green, (I mean green..hot, hot weather). Once I decided to purchase another and keep the salt water as opposed to the chlorine, etc., and the replacement was received it only took 8 hours of running to turn the pool crystal clear again...I was totally amazed, no chemical, no shock treatment, nothing but this baby. Would I buy it again? Without hesitation!. My daughter has asthma and has trouble with ezema and the salt water is perfct for her skin! Buy with total confidence....big savings, soft skin...it's great.

• 2 months later...

I just bought the Intex 15' x 36" inflatable pool. Have yet to set it up.

I was wandering if it would be worth it to buy the salt water system ??? I like the idea of not having to mess with any chemicals.

I only plan on using the pool on weekends and maybe a couple hours a day on Sat/Sun.

Do you have to run pump 24/7 ? or can I just run when needed ?

Thanks for your help !!!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to add my 100% positive feedback on the Intex salt water system. At the start of the summer of 2009, my wife brought home the Intex 18x48 circular pool with a saltwater generator. We have been very happy with this system as it is still working perfectly now in its third summer of operation. We live in northern Indiana and take the pool down each fall.

I run the pump and salt generator 8 hours every other night. We have never added any other chemicals and have never tested the water. My wife and daughter are the testers and they say the water is perfect - crystal clear and yes a very slight salt taste - similar to a human tear.

The only advise I have to offer is buy the salt that is made for pools. Here in Indiana, Wal-mart and Rural King both carry the product. Also, do your best to keep the pool clean and especially check the mesh filter leading into the salt generator. Note - I am still using the vacuum system that came with the intex pool and it is more and more difficult to get working. Does anyone have any vacuum ideas that would work with my intex system?

I wanted to add my 100% positive feedback on the Intex salt water system. At the start of the summer of 2009, my wife brought home the Intex 18x48 circular pool with a saltwater generator. We have been very happy with this system as it is still working perfectly now in its third summer of operation. We live in northern Indiana and take the pool down each fall.

I run the pump and salt generator 8 hours every other night. We have never added any other chemicals and have never tested the water. My wife and daughter are the testers and they say the water is perfect - crystal clear and yes a very slight salt taste - similar to a human tear.

The only advise I have to offer is buy the salt that is made for pools. Here in Indiana, Wal-mart and Rural King both carry the product. Also, do your best to keep the pool clean and especially check the mesh filter leading into the salt generator. Note - I am still using the vacuum system that came with the intex pool and it is more and more difficult to get working. Does anyone have any vacuum ideas that would work with my intex system?

I suggest the smart pool salt generators have installed many of them and no problems easy installation and very good customer service

I have now had two salt water chlorinators since memorial day. I have not been successful with either one. The pump seems to work by the green light and no error messages but no chlorine is being produced. I have boosted it several times and no results. I have even got the salt levels read by the pool store and they are within good range. Intex said they will send another one if I send it back and pay for the shipping. I didn't feel that was appropriate to make a customer pay for shipping when we have had two defective products. I said I would be willing to pay for shipping if I got reimbursed but they would not reimburse me because this was the second time. The reviews of the product can be great if it works. I was really looking forward to it. It seems that people either have great benefits from it or it doesn't work. Customer service has poor knowledge of their products. Hope you have better luck if you decide to try it. I ignored some of these comments when I was looking, wish I wouldn't of.

• 7 years later...

Don't waste your money. I've owned 3 of these devices, all died after 2 seasons and I did maintain them as prescribed. That is 2 x summers, aka 6 months total operating time (1,400 hours). They work OK but wasn't made to last and if you call support after 18 months, they advise you to buy a new one. I initially convinced my neighbor to buy one too and they experienced the exact same thing. I will never advise anyone to purchase this product unless they feel that is an acceptable lifespan/return on investment. No more Intex for me thank you.