Blown Fuse

I have a 2002 spa that keeps blowing a 20 amp fuse and the one on the pumps shuts down. The manufacturer recomended going to a 30 amp use but it still blows the fuse. Is there anything else I could do check before I remove the pump and motor to bench check?

Test the pump. you have to take it apart though. you run them with a dry seal. remove the impeller. how long does it run before blowing the fuse?

I have a 2002 spa that keeps blowing a 20 amp fuse and the one on the pumps shuts down. The manufacturer recomended going to a 30 amp use but it still blows the fuse. Is there anything else I could do check before I remove the pump and motor to bench check?

Test the pump. you have to take it apart though. you run them with a dry seal. remove the impeller. how long does it run before blowing the fuse?

I just removed the the pump. I'll take the impeller off next. It moves freely now. Somes times the fuse would blow imediately and some times it would run for 10 to 20 minutes. And it didn't matter whether it was a 20 amp fuse or a 30 amp fuse.

I visually inspected the cord and the molded connector. It appears tha there was some slight over heating going on and one of the prongs feels a little loose.

More later once I find a motor shop and put on a bench test. Thanks

I just removed the the pump. I'll take the impeller off next. It moves freely now. Somes times the fuse would blow imediately and some times it would run for 10 to 20 minutes. And it didn't matter whether it was a 20 amp fuse or a 30 amp fuse.

I visually inspected the cord and the molded connector. It appears tha there was some slight over heating going on and one of the prongs feels a little loose.

Ralphyboy,

I know it sounds stupid and I don't want to insult you, but are you using the right kind of fuses? Motors with a high starting amperage vs. the running amperage usually require a time delay fuse. Maybe someone sold you the wrong type.

Greg.

Have you tried to unhook the pump from the spa and turn the spa on with out the pump hooked up to see if it blows the fuse. if it does check the ozone if you have one or check the heater it may have a pin hole in it.

Yeah, look for slow blow (SB) fuse.

Pretty much any equipment with large transformers requires them, because inrush current is very high.

No I'm using typical fuse that you would buy for automotive prior to new style they have now or if I was was rerplacing an inline fuse on my tractor. I didn't know of the SB product. I been using BUSS AGC 30 amp.

Have you tried to unhook the pump from the spa and turn the spa on with out the pump hooked up to see if it blows the fuse. if it does check the ozone if you have one or check the heater it may have a pin hole in it.

Yes, I do have the Ozone. Could this pin hole be in the heater element itself. The spa continues to operate with the one pump after the fuse blows disables the pump in question. I have two 5 hp motors. Franklin Electric.

Ralphyboy,

I know it sounds stupid and I don't want to insult you, but are you using the right kind of fuses? Motors with a high starting amperage vs. the running amperage usually require a time delay fuse. Maybe someone sold you the wrong type.

Greg.

Would SB fuses be at your local hardware store?

Is ths impeller usually glued to the shaft?

The motor shop found a bad capacitor. $72.00 repair parts and labor. Can't wait to pick it up and see if it does the trick

• 9 years later...