Is It Ok To Change Chemical Brands?

My husband and I have been using a brand called Spa Tique in our hot tub for about 1 year. We are chlorine users and have been very lucky so far with no major catastrophes with our water balance. At first, our Ph would be on the low side, but we finally figured out how to deal with that, so we are off and running now.

So, our problem with Spa Tique? Our dealer. We have the world's most snobby spa dealer. I honestly hate going in that store to buy anything. The dealer acts like his customers are wasting his time and in his way...it's just a very uncomfortable, icy feeling in the store. Like, when people ask a question, the dealer basically acts like his mind is somewhere else and he just says "yeah," or "dunno," or shrugs. He knows nothing about water chemistry, nor does any of the college boys he has working for him in the store. Of course, we bought our spa there, and when we bought it, they were the nicest and most knowledgeable people on the face of the earth. Once they got our cash, the romance was over.

I found another dealer that is way more friendly and who sells Lifetime spa chemicals for hot tubs. I am looking to stay with chlorine, and purchase one of the larger supply packs that includes everything from the Ph up, Ph down, sanitizer, shock, spa cleaner, wipes and more.

I just "heard" somewhere that if you change brands of hot tub chemicals, it can be dangerous??? Is that true? I mean, I know when we change, we are going to do it at the next water dump/refill. I just want to check with everyone here to make sure I'm not going to make some gigantic error in switching brands. I don't want to give myself a rash or anything weird.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, comments you might leave for me. I spent about an hour last night just reading people's posts and I love this board already! So informative! :D

There's no issues with changing brands, especially if you're staying with the same chemical compounds.

Thank you so much for the reply!!! I'm very happy to hear that considering I was at my wits end with my spa dealer. Now, I just hope I don't need service on it for a long time so I don't have to call that store. :rolleyes:

• 12 years later...
On 7/3/2008 at 4:57 PM, tntechgal said:

Thank you so much for the reply!!! I'm very happy to hear that considering I was at my wits end with my spa dealer. Now, I just hope I don't need service on it for a long time so I don't have to call that store. :rolleyes:

On 7/3/2008 at 4:24 PM, Dr. Spa said:

There's no issues with changing brands, especially if you're staying with the same chemical compounds.

Hi What about if your not draining the water? Still using chlorine just a different brand in tablet form.