Heat Pump Vs. Natural Gas

We've gotten conflicting information from vendors regarding heat pump vs. gas fired heaters....some saying our climate (eastern PA) is too cold.

As someone who is investing $50,000 in a residential geothermal system to replace my old oil fired steam heat, I'm really looking to get off of the direct fossil chain as much as I can.

What are the pros and cons of the heat pump? Can I use one with a spa?

I got the same info from my pool guys. Heat pumps are fine when working with small differences between air temp and water temp. If you want larger differences (warm pool on a cold day) go with the fired heater.

A heat pump will pay for itself in gas savings in the first two years. It will work in temps as low as 50 degrees. If you want to swim when the weather is colder than that................well I wouldn't want to anyway.

I got the same info from my pool guys. Heat pumps are fine when working with small differences between air temp and water temp. If you want larger differences (warm pool on a cold day) go with the fired heater.

A heat pump will pay for itself in gas savings in the first two years. It will work in temps as low as 50 degrees. If you want to swim when the weather is colder than that................well I wouldn't want to anyway.

If you want to maintain a certain temp all season long you want a heat pump. Think of a heat pump as your house furnace or central air. Set it at a temp and let it go. Yes also heat pumps lose efficient when the outdoor temp is cool. look at Heat Sipon brand they sell direct to some areas of the country. I had customer get one for $2200. http://www.heatsiphon.com/.

Heat pumps must installed outside also. As for a spa it will not be able to rapidly heat the water.

If you want to bump up the temp for the pool or to heat a spa you want gas.

Both system you should use a solar blanket to keep the heat in the pool at night. Look into solar panels as well.