Sand In Pool

I had sand blowing into my pool. From everything I read, I believed the problem was being caused by a broken lateral in my sand filter.

I called a local company and asked them to replace the sand and laterals. A guy came out and replaced the sand. He did not tell me what he did, he just gave me an invoice and I paid him.

The next day, I noticed more sand in the pool. I called the company back and reported the problem. They told me someone would come out to check the work and no one showed up. Apparently, the first guy did not notice any broken laterals. I asked that they all be replaced because another company suggested I change them all since I was going in there anyway. I don't know how that got lost in translation but decided not to make a big deal about it.

I called back about a week later and someone was supposed to come out that very night but did not show up until the next morning. I should add that that night it rained but still I received no call or notice. When they guy showed up the next morning, he did not tell me he was there, he just went into the backyard and did SOMETHING. I don't know what. He just left, did not say anything.

Now, there is still sand in the pool. Here are my questions:

1)What is the best way to remove the sand from the pool, so I can be sure it is not just the same sand resettling? SO far, I have been vaccuming the pool. But, as you can imagine, this can get tiring everyday.

2)Other than the laterals, what could cause sand to be blown into the pool? I don't want to call to complain if they really did what I asked and there is another problem.

3)Am I over-reacting? I really want my money back.

I had sand blowing into my pool. From everything I read, I believed the problem was being caused by a broken lateral in my sand filter.

I called a local company and asked them to replace the sand and laterals. A guy came out and replaced the sand. He did not tell me what he did, he just gave me an invoice and I paid him.

The next day, I noticed more sand in the pool. I called the company back and reported the problem. They told me someone would come out to check the work and no one showed up. Apparently, the first guy did not notice any broken laterals. I asked that they all be replaced because another company suggested I change them all since I was going in there anyway. I don't know how that got lost in translation but decided not to make a big deal about it.

I called back about a week later and someone was supposed to come out that very night but did not show up until the next morning. I should add that that night it rained but still I received no call or notice. When they guy showed up the next morning, he did not tell me he was there, he just went into the backyard and did SOMETHING. I don't know what. He just left, did not say anything.

Now, there is still sand in the pool. Here are my questions:

1)What is the best way to remove the sand from the pool, so I can be sure it is not just the same sand resettling? SO far, I have been vaccuming the pool. But, as you can imagine, this can get tiring everyday.

2)Other than the laterals, what could cause sand to be blown into the pool? I don't want to call to complain if they really did what I asked and there is another problem.

3)Am I over-reacting? I really want my money back.

If the sand is getting back into the pool and the lateral or standpipe is still broken. You have to vac to waste which drains the pool. Also if they replaced the sand and put right to filter all the dust went into the pool. Backwash should be done first after changing sand.

Can you call another pool company or vac out the sand in the tank and inspect the lateral system own your own.

If the sand is getting back into the pool and the lateral or standpipe is still broken. You have to vac to waste which drains the pool. Also if they replaced the sand and put right to filter all the dust went into the pool. Backwash should be done first after changing sand.

Can you call another pool company or vac out the sand in the tank and inspect the lateral system own your own.

Hi, thanks for your help. I don't think it's a good idea for me to look in there but I was thinking of calling another company. However, it takes at least two weeks to get someone out here and in that amount of time the first company might say they are no longer liable.

Another update. The first guy who came out determined that it wasn't sand but algae. I don't know why he didn't tell me that but I need to know if there is anyway a person can mistake sand for algae. It only appears after the filter has been running. It is only on the bottom of the pool and it is brown. It makes rings around the pool, if you get my drift. Someone please help! I am fighting with these guys and they may be right but I can't help feeling like I'm being taken advantage of. Please someone comment and give me some guidance.

To check if it is sand or algae just get in the pool and brush it with your hand, algae is slimey. If it is sand and its getting into the pool via the return jets it could be a few different things. First of all if any of the laterals are broke this will let sand flow back to the pool. If the guy who changed the sand did not get the standpipe back in the filter just right the sand could be getting in there through a loose fitting. Last of all, I have seen plenty of times, inside the filter there is a small breather hose that should have a small screen on the end of it. If this screen in not on there, the hose must be well above the level of the sand or it will allow sand to return to the pool. What type of filter do you have?

Another update. The first guy who came out determined that it wasn't sand but algae. I don't know why he didn't tell me that but I need to know if there is anyway a person can mistake sand for algae. It only appears after the filter has been running. It is only on the bottom of the pool and it is brown. It makes rings around the pool, if you get my drift. Someone please help! I am fighting with these guys and they may be right but I can't help feeling like I'm being taken advantage of. Please someone comment and give me some guidance.

You can easily pick sand up from the bottom of the pool. Not so easy with algae. Also sand has a rough feel to it

You can easily pick sand up from the bottom of the pool. Not so easy with algae. Also sand has a rough feel to it

Hi - yes it happens, mustard algae can be mistaken for sand at the bottom of a pool. If you can't get in there to feel it (algae is slimy) - then if it is difficult to move (i.e. sand will disturb and move very quickly) when you try to brush or vacuum it - then it is mustard algae. You can brush mustard algae away - but it will soon return to the same spot - very quickly. It is also a very chlorine resistant algae and can survive in high levels of chlorine.

In answer to your first question (and I don't mean for this to sound harsh) I believe you need to let it go and take it as a learning experience.

HOW? if you are having problems like this in the future and you call a pool company to fix it - DON'T diagnose it for them (even if another company has diagnosed it already). Let them come out and inspect it and then tell you what think they need to do.

WHY? Because if you disagree with them, you can tell them what you think on the spot and even not go ahead with their service, or if you say ok - go ahead, when/if they get it wrong it will be their fault - no questions about it.

As it now stands, you diagnosed the problem and they have your specific instructions to change the sand and the laterals - which is for all intents and purposes what they did! (they have to remove the sand to inspect the laterals, and once it they have removed it, they put the new sand back in). Look at if from their perspective, you called them for a job, they went there and did it, decided the laterals were ok and didn't need replacing - maybe they could have been less honest and changed your laterals as well....

Now that they have specifically told you it is mustard algae, ask them what is involved in fixing it and if they provide any guarantees on their service i.e. if they come out and do a mustard algae treatment and this still does not solve the problem what will they do?

All the best!

http://www.SwimIn.com.au

Well, I won't be calling that company anymore because intead of telling me what the problem was they just went on with their lives and regardless of whether or not they did what I asked them to do, I think it's very unprofessional to decide you are not at fault yet "forget" to tell the customer. However, someone has come back and told me that it is dead algae. He told me to vaccuum to waste which I have been doing but I have to do this almost everyday. Could this be right?

Well, I won't be calling that company anymore because intead of telling me what the problem was they just went on with their lives and regardless of whether or not they did what I asked them to do, I think it's very unprofessional to decide you are not at fault yet "forget" to tell the customer. However, someone has come back and told me that it is dead algae. He told me to vaccuum to waste which I have been doing but I have to do this almost everyday. Could this be right?

Yes I agree with you, they definitely did not provide you with good service. Normally once they completed the job and determined that was not the problem, they should have told you this and then given you the right advice. My advice before, is don't let them get away with it next time on an excuse that they did what you told them. If you call someone out, let them figure it out. If they get it wrong you have a better chance of getting your money back, or having them come back to fix it for free.

Unfortunately pools are complex things. The dead algae advice - definitely incorrect. You will not be vacuuming to waste every day if it was dead algae. You still have the two same possible scenarios - sand getting back into your pool, or mustard algae. Have you stuck a pool broom in there and given it a rub? When you bring the broom out, do you have some slimy stuff on it? Does it disturb quickly (if so it's sand) or can you get your hand on to it to feel it's texture. Once you determine this - if it's mustard algae, you will need to treat your pool with a tropical algecide and make sure you have a consistently high chlorine level and low ph - to really knock it on it's head. Mustard algae is quite resistant, and can be resistant to high chlorine levels. Every time you vacuum to waste you must be losing a fair amount of water - and chemicals - it's an expensive process.

If it is sand, you are back to a problem in your filter area - maybe there really is a broken lateral, in which case, this is something you can definitely take up with the previous pool company..... As your first priority, you really need to test it to see what it is...