What Would You Like To See On A Hot Tub?

WATERMAN

Hello everyone,

With such a large concentration of hot tub users, I was hoping to start a post for things that consumers would like to see on their hot tubs. I am consulting with an OEM and want to know what you are missing from your hot tub experience.

Since you can now get stereos, tvs, towel warmers, coolers, etc.; is there anything left?

How about customizable jets? Controls?

No idea to far out there.

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone,

With such a large concentration of hot tub users, I was hoping to start a post for things that consumers would like to see on their hot tubs. I am consulting with an OEM and want to know what you are missing from your hot tub experience.

Since you can now get stereos, tvs, towel warmers, coolers, etc.; is there anything left?

Thanks in advance.

Sure, take out the stereos, tvs, towel warmers, coolers, etc. (of course I'm serious but in the end you have to give the customer what they want I guess). What's next, a microwave?:D

As far as customization goes, the more you allow customers to customize things like jets the more difficult it is for manufacturers to control quality (see Cal Spas old way of having 100 models in 500 colors with the old "have it your way" routine). Ask a customer what jets they want and where and if he/she responds honestly it'll most often be a look like "how should I know, you guys should know where to put them". To me that's mostly a gimmick.

Leave the customizing to yes/no choices like "stereo or not", "ozone or not" etc.

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.

I would love a swing up "arm" with hooks for the robe and towels, sort of like an outdoor hat rat but connected to the tub so it could swing out of the way if you didn't need it. I have looked at the outdoor racks and it is just one more item to have to care for,

I would like the controls to be easily seen from the inside. My LCD screen (for the control pad) is angled out. So if I am in the tub and I want to see what is on the screen (temp,time,etc) I have to twist around, and get on my knees to see it.

So if the angle of the screen could be changed to allow for easy viewing from outside and in it would be a nice touch.

Or just have two different sets of controls.

I would like the controls to be easily seen from the inside. My LCD screen (for the control pad) is angled out. So if I am in the tub and I want to see what is on the screen (temp,time,etc) I have to twist around, and get on my knees to see it.

So if the angle of the screen could be changed to allow for easy viewing from outside and in it would be a nice touch.

Or just have two different sets of controls.

Although cost prohibitive....a system that maintains, completely on its own all aspects of the chemiclas, disperses sanitizer, ph adjusters ect as the tub needs them so it is always at safe usable levels.

I am consulting with an OEM and want to know what you are missing from your hot tub experience.

Walked up to the lab and asked the R&D guys what they were working on. One said, quite seriously, "Tom, if we tell you, we'll have to kill you. Do you really want to know?"

That's okay, I read the project board on the way out. On our agenda for the future is a spa that

• Monitors its TDS and automatically drains, flushes, and refills when necessary
  • Measures the total weight of bathers and says, "OVERLOAD! Hey, you with the big belly and the short ****, OUT!"
  • Contains an Arctic Chiller strapped to a beer keg with a topside tap
  • Incorporates two robotic arms that wrap you in a warmed robe or towel as you step out of the spa
  • Has a complete waterproof keyboard as part of the TSC, so workaholics can work while soaking without risking a drowned laptop
  • Contains a urine leak detector that immediately ejects the perpetrator
  • Automatically turns on the air and aroma systems at the first sign of flatulence (may be combined with ejector seats if desired)
  • Is so energy efficient that it returns power to the grid when not in use (dynamic regenerative braking).
  • Monitors brain patterns and creates a holo-image of whatever hot babe or stud you want in the spa with you (Sorry, Glid, the realistic pseudo-flesh simulacra are still some years away so you'll have to make do with a Christina Ricci holo-doll)

I am consulting with an OEM and want to know what you are missing from your hot tub experience.

Walked up to the lab and asked the R&D guys what they were working on. One said, quite seriously, "Tom, if we tell you, we'll have to kill you. Do you really want to know?"

That's okay, I read the project board on the way out. On our agenda for the future is a spa that

• Monitors its TDS and automatically drains, flushes, and refills when necessary
  • Measures the total weight of bathers and says, "OVERLOAD! Hey, you with the big belly and the short ****, OUT!"
  • Incorporates two robotic arms that wrap you in a warmed robe or towel as you step out of the spa
  • Has a complete waterproof keyboard as part of the TSC, so workaholics can work while soaking without risking a drowned laptop
  • Automatically turns on the air and aroma systems at the first sign of flatulence (may be combined with ejector seats if desired)
  • Is so energy efficient that it returns power to the grid when not in use (dynamic regenerative braking).
  • Monitors brain patterns and creates a holo-image of whatever hot babe or stud you want in the spa with you (Sorry, Glid, the realistic pseudo-flesh simulacra are still some years away so you'll have to make do with a Christina Ricci holo-doll)

oh my god, laugh my butt off....although the first one is a great idea!

• 1 year later...

I'd like to add a couple of things to this wish list that I'd like to see your "R&D guys" work on:

Could you make them so they don't leak within three days of delivery?

Could you make them so when you crawl across the cover for the first or second time to clean it, it doesn't cave in.

Could you make it so the jets don't fall out and need continual replacement?

Could you make your "maintenance free" siding last longer than a year and a half?

Could you make them so the number one pump only needs to be replaced once in the first six months of ownership?

Could you make it so the check valve doesn't get moisture inside of it and need to be replaced?

Could you make them so the GFCI doesn't blow every once in a while when the blower kicks on?

Could you make a hot tub that doesn't cost over $1000.00 in misc. charges even while still under warranty?

Could you make it so the dealer wouldn't have to come to my house 8 times to fix the same problem?

Just a few "minor" things I've noticed with my Arctic Spa.

Thanks,

Paul

Hmm...what would I like in a tub.....

and definitely not in this order but here it goes.

Auto filter rinse cycle that purges the cleaning water out side the tub....maybe it could use only fresh water for that and then dump it overboard and then open the filter chamber to the tub again. I say rinse on purpose, this could be done daily or weekly..and a full cleaning could be done monthly manually with filter cleaning chemicals.

Realtime water quality readout....maybe digital??? that told me my PH & chlorine.

dual controls..not a remote but just a panel inside the tub, and outside. remotes get lost and need batteries.

chilled cup holders for my beer. Or maybe even a chilled chamber for more beer.

Dry storage for towels, chemicals, etc.

Wireless i tunes integration....like the airtunes already does...but with built in speakers and stuff.

power usage meter, so I could re-set it and see what my usage is at a particular temperature or filter cycle is over time.

a foot rinser for my steps....it would be hooked up to fresh water and you could activate it when you are on the top step....by button or automatically by weight on the step...or infra-red.

A fogger....you know...like that gay fountain your mom has that puts out a fog...but bigger...and cooler...make it look like a huge boiling cauldron of DNA!

Misters...that spray a superfine mist in the air for hot summer days.....just enough to cool off your face and shoulders.

A scale for my chemicals...could just be a pad next to the control panel...when activated....the display gives you weight.

The pool calculator app from my iPhone right next to the scale....so I can calculate what I need to put in easily.

That's about all I can think of right now....I will think of more....but then again...I am nutz.

Well, after Bart's extensive and imaginative list, I feel a little stupid posting this. :mellow: But one thing that bothers me on any spa is when you don't have the option of turning ALL the lights off -- including the lights on the main controls. I'd never purchase a spa on the basis of this feature alone, it's a comparatively small niggle and perhaps there is a tub out there that actually offers this feature, but I've never found one.

I live very rural. There is NO ambient light where I am. No streetlights, no neighbor's lights, nothing. So when I'm pulling up to my house in the night up my long driveway from the road, I can see the control lights on my spa like a bloody airstrip beacon from what feels like blocks away. I'd turn 'em off if I could. The spa is also right outside my bedroom, and I don't use window coverings (no need), so even though the panel faces in a different direction than my bedroom, it glows noticeably all through the night. Annoying.

I may rig up some sort of hood or cover I can pull over it when I want to. Or maybe you will. :)

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Raeven

I don't own a spa (yet) but I agree with many of the posts above including ...

- large, easily readable controls and display reachable from inside the tub - maybe a wired remote?

- LCD Monitor(s) for DVD, tv or PC

- built-in PC which monitors water quality, allows web surfing, music playing, DVD playing, tv watching, etc. Also weighs and dispenses required chemicals, provides alerts for water quality and can change it automatically when needed, has a power usage meter, and can control all aspects of the tub including room lighting

- Underwater sub-woofers and good quality speakers

- Easy access to the pumps and other hardware

- QUIET!

- foot wash as described above

- repositionable seats/recliners

- repositionable jets

- warming storage for towels

- dry storage for everything that needs to stay dry

- fogger for effect and mister for cooling

- refrigerator accessable from inside the tub - maybe even complete bar with small microwave for snacks.

- some kind of aroma generator

(Actually it sounds like a pool already)

And of course price. If I found a hot tub with all this I would be willing to pay $200 - maybe even more if it was the right color.  :D

This may already exist, but I'd like to see the equivalent of the programmable thermostat for a furnace, but for the tub. Heat the water to a lower temperature overnight, and during working hours during the week etc. Warm it back up for primetime use. Should be fairly simple to implement in firmware, and might help out a fair bit with energy usage.

Don

Hi Tom,

can you let me know when these tubs will be available to order I WANT ONE !!!!