Best Time To Run Pool Pump/filter

cb27

Hey all,

Quick question on when do most run their pool pump/filter, during the day, or at night? I was thinking, with costs of EVERYTHING going up, if I run the pump during the night, when electric is a little cheaper, I would be able to run for 12 hours. I have a 16X32 inground (guessing 25,000 gallons of water), and the pool guy said to run it for around 12 hours.

Thanks for any advice!

Hey all,

Quick question on when do most run their pool pump/filter, during the day, or at night? I was thinking, with costs of EVERYTHING going up, if I run the pump during the night, when electric is a little cheaper, I would be able to run for 12 hours. I have a 16X32 inground (guessing 25,000 gallons of water), and the pool guy said to run it for around 12 hours.

Thanks for any advice!

Well of course the best is to run 24/7, but you dopln't have to. Here in my area I tell people at least 10 hours a day and sometime during the day. You don't want standing water while the sun is beating down on the pool

The easiest way to determine running time is, whatever your avg. temperature is during the day it would be 1 hour for every 10 degree. For example if you are in a climate where the avg is 80-90, pump running time would be 8-9 hrs. And the best time to run the pump is during the day especially if you have some kind of inline chlorinator so the pool will be chlorinated in the heat of the day when chlorine reduction is at its peak.

Yes, running it during the day is much better. If your pool is not getting chlorine during the day your levels could drop dangerously low inviting an algae bloom. However, if you have an auto cover that is kept over the pool most of the time then running at night is acceptable.