Free Chlorine 0

Richard,

I want to thank you for the valuable info in this thread. I was faced with the exact problem, and your advice helped me solve it in a very short time.

John

Thanks John. Glad I could help.

• 1 year later...

I'm having problems with FC also. Did bucket test and added 7 gallons clorox and got desired results. Next morning...0-FC again. All other readings are good. Pool is 13,500 gal. Do I need to do this again with even more clorox? Pool store owner said "I wouldn't worry about it". Really, after i spent $200.00 there already this season?

I'm having problems with FC also. Did bucket test and added 7 gallons clorox and got desired results. Next morning...0-FC again. All other readings are good. Pool is 13,500 gal. Do I need to do this again with even more clorox? Pool store owner said "I wouldn't worry about it". Really, after i spent $200.00 there already this season?

Yes, just repeat the test. Perhaps you are "on the edge" and almost there. Shoot for a shock level of chlorine that is an FC that is 40% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level unless the CYA is very high in which case you should consider diluting the water to lower the CYA. The CYA should probably be around 50 ppm or so and not more than 80 ppm at the most.

Read the Pool School for more info.

Yes, just repeat the test. Perhaps you are "on the edge" and almost there. Shoot for a shock level of chlorine that is an FC that is 40% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level unless the CYA is very high in which case you should consider diluting the water to lower the CYA. The CYA should probably be around 50 ppm or so and not more than 80 ppm at the most.

Read the Pool School for more info.

Since the water level is down a bit, can I add water to dilute the CYA? Also, if I put 7 gallons of clorox yester day, how many should I add this time? The CYA is in the 80-100 range. I can probably add 1 1/2 inches of water to the pool which holds 13,500 gallons.

Evaporation and refill doesn't dilute the water. You have to physically remove the water and then refill to dilute it (i.e. evaporation only removes water and nothing in that water).

7 gallons of 6% bleach in 13,500 gallons would be a 32 ppm FC increase which would be OK given your high CYA. Are you sure that your chlorine test kit isn't getting bleached out? If it's a DPD test (the kind where you compare against intensity of pink/red), then this can bleach out above 10 ppm FC. A cheap OTO test (the kind where you compare against intensity of yellow) won't bleach out and will turn orange or even red under very high FC levels. The best is a FAS-DPD chlorine test since it is more accurate and won't bleach out. It is in the Taylor K-2006 or the TF100 from tftestkits.net.

• 10 years later...