Hot Spring Landmark Leak Moto Massage Problem

Hi all, newbie with a 2001 Hot Spring Landmark that developed a leak recently, which, now I found out might be self inflicted. THe moto massage stopped working, and when I looked inside the little blue hose had split, replaced that and still nothing, so I proceeded to try to "blow" back through the nipple where it connects in the back of the housing, still didn't work, so replaced the entire "spine" in the moto, now that works great, except losing 3-4 inches of water per day, figured out it was that corner and pulled some boards, starting digging the foam (followed the wet foam), and found a "huge hole" with water pouring out on the back of the moto housing, and after realizing that this was the "back side" of the air hose connection, temporarily plugged the hole with some putty, water stopped, no more leak, no more moto massage either. I have looked everywhere under there for an "airline" that should maybe be re-connected to this area (with maybe a new nipple?), but after digging almost 18 inches in every direction, it is nowhere to be found???? Could anyone give me some direction where to look or perhaps where to get a plumbing schematic or where this "originates" from? At this point, I think I may have to run a new one??? Any advice or experience on this mess would be appreciated.

Well, as you have already figured out I'm sure, there certainly was an air line running to the back of the moto. And there was one or sometimes even two small bleed lines as well as the water line. All of those lines are vinyl. And they are all coated with ten-pound density foam, so as you ae digging through the other foam sometimes they don't look at all like an air line and you can cut them, even pull them out.

The air lines tend to run toward the top of the tub, so I would look there for the remains of a hard foam encrusted stub of small vinyl tubing. I'm not sure that having a plumbing schematic will help because there are so many routes to take from one jet to another.

B)

Hearing stories like this horrifies me! My dh and I are not mechanical at all so this would be a horrible thing to end up happening to us if we buy a hot tub! I've heard it can be a nightmare if you have full foam insulation too but then we're told the other types are not as good at keeping the cold out so, what do you do??? Ugh!

Well, as you have already figured out I'm sure, there certainly was an air line running to the back of the moto. And there was one or sometimes even two small bleed lines as well as the water line. All of those lines are vinyl. And they are all coated with ten-pound density foam, so as you ae digging through the other foam sometimes they don't look at all like an air line and you can cut them, even pull them out.

The air lines tend to run toward the top of the tub, so I would look there for the remains of a hard foam encrusted stub of small vinyl tubing. I'm not sure that having a plumbing schematic will help because there are so many routes to take from one jet to another.

B)

Hearing stories like this horrifies me! My dh and I are not mechanical at all so this would be a horrible thing to end up happening to us if we buy a hot tub! I've heard it can be a nightmare if you have full foam insulation too but then we're told the other types are not as good at keeping the cold out so, what do you do??? Ugh!

A good tech can have this fixed in an hour or 2...cake.

Talk to your local repair guys and see what they reccomend.

I agree with Roger- this is not a design flaw, a newbie made a simple mistake. The number of tubs I have had with leaks over the course of the two decades I have been selling them is tiny. That is a nice side effect of the better support full foam gives to the plumbing.

B)

• 8 years later...

Sorry, I know that this is REALLY old -- but I just did the same thing (I think) last week. Air tube replacement fixed my Moto-massage jets, but I now have a HORRIBLE leak from that area. My question is, what is the best way in? Through the slats at/near the corner or drain and lift the tub and come in from the bottom?

You shouldn't need to lift the tub. Just dig out the foam.

The likely culprit is the small hose nipple broke off the back of the MM box. It's a supplemental filler hose @ 1/4" i.d. 

This filler hose is not very necessary. Some people just plug the hole in the box (blue arrow) and plug the end of the hose (red arrow).

You can fill the foam back in with spray foam or bubble wrap or whatever you have handy that's waterproof. I used bubble wrap. Reattaching the slats can be frustrating. Not much "meat" there to attach.

IMG_0601_zpshhulvvak.jpg

IMG_0599_zpsco4n4pg0.jpg

Hi, I have an old Jetsetter I that came with the house that I bought recently and the spa has a leak. According to the previous owner they had a leak right in the area of the moto-massage jet and had it fixed but there is no documentation of this. Also they did not use the spa for almost 3 years after that. Covering the other jets I think I narrowed the leak down to the moto-massage jet again but the water comes out right in the front panel area and along the black corrugated pipe to the left of the light bulb fixture. It only leaks when jets are off, the leak stops when the spa is turned on. My question is, can the MM leak all the way to the front panel, along the pipes, wouldn't it be rather leaking where the jet is sitting and underneath the spa? (no sign of that). Can it be accessed from the shell rather than cutting through all the foam on the side of the spa? Any suggestions as for the possible source of leak, most common leaks in the MM jet, if that's truly what's leaking? Any advise will be much appreciated, thank you

• 2 months later...

Brian, you fixed a cracked pump housing with JB WaterWeld?  That's good to know.  Was it a tiny 24 hr. Laing pump or a full sized 48 frame circ pump? 

Can the JB WaterWeld be applied while the tub is full of water, or does it need to be dried out and the pump removed?

Would you by chance have a photo you can share?

I don't have a photo. Sorry. It was the small Watkins circulator pump that runs 24/7.

There's a thin spot in the housing, near the impeller, that just wore through (probably due to prev. owner using too much chlorine).

WaterWeld claims to work under water but I already had the pump out so I dried it before applying the WaterWeld.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:58 PM, BADNRG said:

Brian VT,

Your post saved me. This is just what I found. What do you recommend to fill the broken port on the tub with?  I assume I can just put a screw and rtf on the tube. 

Thanks a bunch. 

Google backyard plus bleedline nipple. I used it in the 90% elbow coming off my circ pump. It will fit all 1/4" fittings. Problem solved.

Brian VT... Google backyard plus bleedline nipple. I used it in the 90% elbow coming off my circ pump. It will fit all 1/4" fittings. I think you need a 9/64" bit to drill the existing fitting hole so that the nipple can be PVC glued, but check the instructions for the exact bit size. Problem solved.

• 3 years later...

I HAVE A2011  JETSETTER AND HAVE A LEAK UNDER THE MOTO MASSAGER AND THINKING ITS THE DRAIN NIPPLE CAN SOMEONE SHOW ME DIAGRAM OF THE PLUMBING ,  I AM THINKING I JUST GOING TO SEAL THAT DRAIN . I KNOW I SEAL IT  AT THE MOTO JET , BUT HOW DO I SEAL THE LEAK ?

• 2 months later...