? About Sand

Venom

I used 4 tons of masonry sand. I have had no problems....

I would guess to answer that the only difference is that "play" sand is filtered better than masonry sand.

I did have to pick a few smooth rocks out of my sand, and some weeds from where the sand had been piled and the weeds started to grow in it...

Outside of that... it was fine. I didnt sift it or anything, i spread it out, and as I was on my hands and knees leveling it I picked out the bad stuff...

Major plus is that masonry sand by the bucket load is cheap.... I forget the square yardage, but it was like $24.00 for a load that was about 2 tons. So all in I paid about $50 for the 4 tons of sand.... Around here $50 will buy you about 20 40pound bags of play sand.... 800 pounds... not even a half ton... So that is going to be your major deciding force.... can you afford all the play sand you will need?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure it really matters, except that your pool floor will probably feel smoother with the masonry sand. We used masonry sand for ours, but we had a pool when I was growing up in the 70's and I'm absolutely certain my parents installed it with what we called "creek sand." The brown play sand. It worked fine. So as has been said, it's a matter of price and availability.