Infinity Owners - Heater Size Survey

spamom

Hello all..

this really comes out of Jeff's tub info.. that his tub came with a 4.0 heater....

i just called the phone number on Costco's website and spoke to an "Infinity rep" at the Tx location and they confirmed all tubs are made with the 4.0 heater....

they claim they never put a 5.5 heater in them....

for all those, Sandi/ kengorman/ Biz... etc... who have recieved your tubs prior....

Can you confirm your heater IS a 5.5 ???

i would like to call Costco on this.. but would like to have my facts straight and maybe fix this BEFORE my tub is delivered!!!!

Thank you all.

Also... just in case.. (does anyone know how much this would effect electric. and or heating of the tub?)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The effect is about 1 to 2 degrees per hour of rate of heating (varies depending on spa gallonage).

I'd agree that at start up you'd heat up to final temp about 1 to 2 degrees per hour slower with a 4 kw heater than a 5.5 kw but that shouldn't be a big deal. After it gets to temp it'll also heat a little slower as well as you use it on a cold day and it tries to keep that temp up but I can't see that being very noticeable. The only real problem here is marketing a spa as having a 5.5 kw heater (from what others have said) and not meeting that specification. It just speaks a bit about quality control but otherwise either heater should do fine.

Hello all..

this really comes out of Jeff's tub info.. that his tub came with a 4.0 heater....

i just called the phone number on Costco's website and spoke to an "Infinity rep" at the Tx location and they confirmed all tubs are made with the 4.0 heater....

they claim they never put a 5.5 heater in them....

for all those, Sandi/ kengorman/ Biz... etc... who have recieved your tubs prior....

i would like to call Costco on this.. but would like to have my facts straight and maybe fix this BEFORE my tub is delivered!!!!

Thank you all.

Also... just in case.. (does anyone know how much this would effect electric. and or heating of the tub?)

If "they never put a 5.5 kw heater in them," why would Costco's ad state that the spa comes with a 5.5kw heater?! And here I thought they always made things bigger in TX!! Seriously though, you paid for the product as it was advertised and that's what you should get. Good luck.

Sandi

If "they never put a 5.5 kw heater in them," why would Costco's ad state that the spa comes with a 5.5kw heater?!

An error? A mistake? A misunderstanding?

And here I thought they always made things bigger in TX!! Seriously though, you paid for the product as it was advertised and that's what you should get. Good luck.

Sandi

As I posted before, if you read their website terms and conditions, you'll see a disclaimer for errors, mistakes and omissions... and I believe there was aslo something about changing items specifications wihtout notice.

Spamom asked:

My Infinity tub was shipped from TN in August 2007 and I received a 5.5 kw heater. If you look closely at the full-sized image of the heater in the photo, you can make out the 5.5 right above the bar-code.

Regards,

Ken

DSCF8380.jpg

Jennifer,

and your control system says "Infinity Spas" on it right ????

Remember it is still a Balboa Control System but a little different configuration of the motherboard.. I can tell from Kengorman's picture that both of his pumps are plugged into the main motherboard & there is no expander board for Pump # 2 like mine.....

I wonder if a have a fluke of a spa.......lol......I WANT ANSWERS......

Here is a a pic of my control system:

Spa005.jpg

Jeff

Pic of my Topside Panel...mine does not say "Infinity Spa"....also mine says Pump #1 & Pump #2...

The ones that say"Infinity Spas" on them say Jet #1 * Jet "2......no big deal here....

Both panels function the same...

Spa002.jpg

Jeff

Notice the plug for pump #2 is plugged into a expander board...& not on the main motherboard....no big deal....at least this opens a slot on the main motherboard in case I would like to add an additional blower or circulation pump...... also notice that this expander board sits just on top of the heater on standoffs.....not sure thats a good idea....who the hell designed that...lol

Spa037.jpg

Jeff

Looks like Costco updated their web site:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup....topnav=&s=1

4.0kw listed now + Marathonpumps- but still lists master massage jet + high density foam insulation.

I don't think I'd be upset on the heater side but when I emailed Infinity (I was thinking of buying this model) they replied back saying foam was sprayed on the shell. I'd be upset if that was missing along with the master massage jet.

This is the text of the email I received:

"The manual can be downloaded from our website www.infinityspas.net. The spa has 2 lbs. of high density spray in foam insulation on the outer shell and arctic wrap around the cabinetry. The cover is 4" thick and has a rating of R14. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me back."

Pdampier,

These still are a great buy for the money.......you will pay the price if you purchase a Big Brand name thru a dealer....

This spa has plently of power........spas shipping out of TN seem to have the foam & 5.5kw heaters on them....the ones shipping from TX are coming with a new type of coating they are experimenting with to replace the foam & 4.0 kw heaters.....

My spa is up & running...working fine..plenty of power......but only a 4.0 kw heater & no foam.....Not a big deal as I live in Southern Cal.....

However, I requested that Infinity send me the master jets, 5.5kw heater of which I will install myself...

Hoping for a slight price adjustment as well....

Again, this spa is a good spa for the money.......

Infinity just needs to work on quality control & consistency between locations....

Thanks for the update on Costco's website....

Jeff

Pdampier,

These still are a great buy for the money.......you will pay the price if you purchase a Big Brand name thru a dealer....

This spa has plently of power........spas shipping out of TN seem to have the foam & 5.5kw heaters on them....the ones shipping from TX are coming with a new type of coating they are experimenting with to replace the foam & 4.0 kw heaters.....

My spa is up & running...working fine..plenty of power......but only a 4.0 kw heater & no foam.....Not a big deal as I live in Southern Cal.....

However, I requested that Infinity send me the master jets, 5.5kw heater of which I will install myself...

Infinity just needs to work on quality control & consistency between locations....

Jeff

Are they sending you a master jet to replace the regular jet? If so, do you realize you'll have to drill a larger hole in the tub? They said the master jet is much larger then the regular so you cannot switch that one without drilling.

They're sending me 3 mini massage jets that each one can replace a regular jet.

Jennifer,

and your control system says "Infinity Spas" on it right ????

Remember it is still a Balboa Control System but a little different configuration of the motherboard.. I can tell from Kengorman's picture that both of his pumps are plugged into the main motherboard & there is no expander board for Pump # 2 like mine.....

I wonder if a have a fluke of a spa.......lol......I WANT ANSWERS......

Here is a a pic of my control system:

Spa005.jpg

Jeff

yes, my control says infinity spas on it. the cover on your heater is different then mine too...just different sticker.

Pdampier,

Jeff

Are they sending you a master jet to replace the regular jet? If so, do you realize you'll have to drill a larger hole in the tub? They said the master jet is much larger then the regular so you cannot switch that one without drilling.

They're sending me 3 mini massage jets that each one can replace a regular jet.

i believe that some of the specs they have changed in Tx is because of "backyard keys".. if you look on the bj's website.. their tubs all have the 4.0 heaters.

I don't believe that you can get a TN tub, as per my conversation with someone from Tx.... all Costco tubs they said would be mauf and shipped from TX....

????

Also... before you put in that 5.5 heater.... we need to make sure it is ok - with the wiring and all.. AND the women i spoke with said that if i did that - it would void my warranty?????

Please double check!!

I don't believe that you can get a TN tub, as per my conversation with someone from Tx.... all Costco tubs they said would be mauf and shipped from TX....

????

Also... before you put in that 5.5 heater.... we need to make sure it is ok - with the wiring and all.. AND the women i spoke with said that if i did that - it would void my warranty?????

Please double check!!

I would feel much better about getting a spa from Infinity in Tn than getting ANYTHING from that Keys Backyard plant in Texas. Infinity may be generally thought of as a so-so spa maker but Keys reputation is less than stellar to say the least.

The difference in the heater will be seen at fill up with time to get to final temp (may take an extra 60 or 90 minutes) but otherwise either the 4.0 or the 5.5 will do fine. If they are going to send you a 5.5 kW heater I would not take out teh 4.0. I would store it in teh garage so that when teh 4.0 gievs out you have a spare.

Pic of my Topside Panel...mine does not say "Infinity Spa"....also mine says Pump #1 & Pump #2...

The ones that say"Infinity Spas" on them say Jet #1 * Jet "2......no big deal here....

Both panels function the same...

Spa002.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff:

Yes, that is exactly the same type of Topside panel that we have on our hot tub. I guess I should take apart the panel this weekend, and see what type of heater, insulation, pump, etc.. that we have in our tub.

Pdampier,

Jeff

Hi Jeff:

I wasn't aware of the "experimental coating" they are using to insulate these tubs. Do you know more about this type of insulation? I was understanding that the "actual shell" would be wrapped with a 2 inch foam insulation. Is this not correct?

Pdampier,

Jeff

Hi Jeff:

I wasn't aware of the "experimental coating" they are using to insulate these tubs. Do you know more about this type of insulation? I was understanding that the "actual shell" would be wrapped with a 2 inch foam insulation. Is this not correct?

Also, since we live in Vermont, it is very important that we have good insulation on this tub. I am concerned about an "experimental coating" in that we live in a very cold climate during the winter.

Biz,

Let me know if you have the high density foam insulation on yours....

I place a call to Dave Greek at Costco ( buyer or troubleshooter for Costco ) who in turn called Infinity Spas to see what is going on....

He related that the spas ( Sun Peak ) have an acrylic shell, then are fiberglass coated, & then have this polyeurathane coating that they are trying out instead of the high density foam insulation. They are studying the R-valve factor of this coating. They will collect this empirical data & then decide the best method for moving forward..... Sounds like a party line to Costco but have to accept this answer for now by Dave....

You have to give Costco credit....they are following up with this manufacturer with the concerns of the general public who are buying these tubs.... You can see that Costco changed some of the specs on this tub & have updated their website...

They still claim high density foam insulation & Master Massage Jet....interesting.....

but changed spec on heater & pumps....

Infinity said to some people that have called that they were not putting the master massage jet in because of problems with them popping out.....interesting.....

I wonder if I have a one of a kind tub.....I dont believe I do

As far as the heater goes, I will request that a 5.5 kw heater be shipped to me but will take Spatech's advice & not install it.....will keep it around for a spare.....that's my intention from the start

I will evaluate this tub over the course of couple of months & then make a decision one way or another whether to keep current tub or demand another tub....

The very least I will request that they ship me a 5.5kw heater & some mini master massage jets that can replace the current jets down in the footwell without additional drilling....

Let me know what your internal components are....

Thanks,

Jeff