Caldera C45 $6799

rontl

It seems like people generally like Caldera Spas on these boards. We are looking at a C45 floor model for $6977 (that price includes lid, lifter and steps). We haven't wet tested yet, but plan to do so today. This is our first spa, we wet tested several about 6 years ago. What should we be looking for? Any other brands or models we should look at in that general price range? We are in Northern Nevada - any specific suggestions or comments are welcome.

The Caldera 'C' series are value tubs. They are simpler than the Caldera tubs from which they are derived, sell for less, but generally perform about the same except for a lower number of jets. Fine tubs -

If you look carefully at the Caldera line, you can easily find which tub was the starting point for the C model you like. Then the question becomes - should you pay more and get the full line model? It is totally up to you. The fancy color-changing lights, waterfalls, outside lighting and sound systems may appeal to you, may not.

B)

The C45 is the scaled-down version of the Geneva - 2 less jets, no colored light show, only one controller instead of two, and I think outside lighting. Assuming we like the wet test, those are all things I can live without, especially for a more than $1500 savings.

The one thing I wondered about is that it doesn't have a recirculating pump, and from what I've read on the board, some people seemed surprised that you could have an O3 system without having a recirculating pump, but I don't understand enough about it to know whether that's a valid concern or not.

Thanks.

Ron

The C45 is the scaled-down version of the Geneva - 2 less jets, no colored light show, only one controller instead of two, and I think outside lighting. Assuming we like the wet test, those are all things I can live without, especially for a more than $1500 savings.

The one thing I wondered about is that it doesn't have a recirculating pump, and from what I've read on the board, some people seemed surprised that you could have an O3 system without having a recirculating pump, but I don't understand enough about it to know whether that's a valid concern or not.

Thanks.

Ron

Not many spa manufactures are use a recirculator pump anymore. O3 runs when the spa goes into a filter cylce with the main pump on low speed. Since you still need a sanitizer, bromine or chlorine the ozone in my opinion is no big deal and could save you money on the price of the spa.

Did you look at any Coleman spas and Califorinia Cooperage from Coleman?

IMO ozone is especially efficient when it runs 24/7 versus the 4 to 6 hours or so that you filter with a 2 speed pump BUT this comes down to $1500 versus 2 extra jets, extra lighting, a second controller and a circ pump. Its certainly understandable to go the value route on this one.

The quality of a spa is not defined by whether it has a circ pump or uses a 2-speed pump for filtering. However, wit regard to the comment that "Not many spa manufactures are use a recirculator pump anymore", if you look at the fact that Hot Springs, Caldera, Sundance and Jacuzzi are possibly the 4 biggest sellers and all use them I'd say that's not a very accurate statement. With those 4 brands (along with others like Artesian, Cal Spas, etc.) I'll bet half or more of the spas made have a circ pump.

We just got our Caldera C45. I spent of time deciding and we are very happy with our decision. The seats and jets are very well designed. It is basically just a geneva without the circulation pump and extra lights. If the price of the Geneva was $1000 or less more then I would have got it, but we got our C45 for $6400 and the Geneva was close to $9000 (Canada). I researched Watkins, even called there support people a few times before buying to ask them questions about the differences. They said they had 1 small issue in the 2007 model, and has been bullet proof ever since. I was comparing to the Limelight, and they stressed that the Limelight was more of a show tub then reliability at this point because they just don't know how the Limelight will perform yet (different skirts, frame, insulation)

The jets are powerful and therapeutically placed. The large foot well makes it accommodate 4 adults easily.

For a picky person, I could not be happier.

We wet-tested Hot Springs and Limelight yesterday. The Limelight looks pretty when nobody's in it, because of all of the LEDs, but once the water's moving, you can't see them anyway. More importantly, it really didn't fit us well.

I was very excited about the HS Moto-Massage jets, but really wasn't impressed with them. We were in a Grandee, and my favorite seat was the one with 10 "Directional Precision" jets. With kids, we like the idea of a bigger tub, for more room for them and friends to splash around, but my wife really likes a recliner, so we're going to go back to try the HS Vista. The HS salesman was very knowledgeable, stayed 45 min after closing while we tried it out, (we'd called ahead and were coming as early as we could get there), and was a very nice guy, so we'd kind of like to like his tubs the best.

However, after wet testing D1, Caldera, LA Spas, Sundance (2), Hot Springs and Limelight, Caldera is the one to beat for us, so far. They have a floor model C45, so the price difference between it and the Geneva is even greater than usual.

Ron

IMO ozone is especially efficient when it runs 24/7 versus the 4 to 6 hours or so that you filter with a 2 speed pump BUT this comes down to $1500 versus 2 extra jets, extra lighting, a second controller and a circ pump. Its certainly understandable to go the value route on this one.

The quality of a spa is not defined by whether it has a circ pump or uses a 2-speed pump for filtering. However, wit regard to the comment that "Not many spa manufactures are use a recirculator pump anymore", if you look at the fact that Hot Springs, Caldera, Sundance and Jacuzzi are possibly the 4 biggest sellers and all use them I'd say that's not a very accurate statement. With those 4 brands (along with others like Artesian, Cal Spas, etc.) I'll bet half or more of the spas made have a circ pump.

I agree with spa tech. We have personally owned both tubs with ozone. The tub with the 24 hour circ pump has done much better at keeping water clarity by 2 aspects, ozone oxidizing the water at all times and water always being filtered. I also agree that companies are not using circ pumps is not accurate. Both Clearwater and Leisure bay use circ pumps on their upper end tubs also. The lower end tubs do not have them because of the addtional costs.