Sundance 850 Pump Cycling By Itself

I have a Sundance spa with a series 750/850 controller, made in 2001. Out of no where it has started to continuously cycle the 2 speed pump on and off, about once every minute. It turns on the pump in low speed, about 10 seconds later it goes to high speed, then after running on high speed it shuts the pump off after about 20 seconds, waits about 1 minute and does this all over again. Have tried turning off the power over night, no help. Temperature sensor seems to be working accurately, flow switch seems OK. I have tried setting he automatic cycles to off and it makes no difference. When the pump kicks in I can not turn it off at the control pane, but when it is off I can manually switch the pump on and off at the control panel. Otherwise the controller seems normal.

Help!!!! Please!!!!

It sounds to me like it is the circuit board. one way to check is power spa off and look for the pump wires on the board. make sure you remember were they go and unplugged them. power up the spa and if you here relays clicking like it trying to turn pump on and off. It is the circuit board

Could be as PS said above, but also could be low voltage. Get a meter on the incoming power right at the control board. See if it drops more than 10%. This can cause digital circuits to go nuts.

B)

Could be as PS said above, but also could be low voltage. Get a meter on the incoming power right at the control board. See if it drops more than 10%. This can cause digital circuits to go nuts.

I am hoping it is not the circuit board (obviously). I did take the motor off line and the controller still cycled the motor's relay, so the load of the motor is not pulling the voltage down. When you say to check for a drop of more than 10%, are you talking about the drop the motor would have caused? Do you know what the DC level on the board should be? Is is possible to get a schematic for these boards (more than just the wiring potion) from anyone?

Thanks,

Don

2001 Sundance, does it have the 3 button remote control panel? If so, it is probably the panel causing the problem. (water in pump button). Perform at our own risk! Turn off power, unplug remote panel loom only inside control box, plug power back in and see what happens. If it acts normal you can replace control panel or go with out. If it still acts weird then it may be the pump button on main control panel. Only way to test that one is with another control panel. Good Luck!

2001 Sundance, does it have the 3 button remote control panel? If so, it is probably the panel causing the problem. (water in pump button). Perform at our own risk! Turn off power, unplug remote panel loom only inside control box, plug power back in and see what happens. If it acts normal you can replace control panel or go with out. If it still acts weird then it may be the pump button on main control panel. Only way to test that one is with another control panel. Good Luck!

thanks for the leads. It has the larger control panel with the LCD display, but I think it could still possibly be water inside that that is causing this, so I will try unplugging it to see what happens.

What do you mean by the "pump button" on the main control panel? Could it be a stuck relay?

thanks for the leads. It has the larger control panel with the LCD display, but I think it could still possibly be water inside that that is causing this, so I will try unplugging it to see what happens.

What do you mean by the "pump button" on the main control panel? Could it be a stuck relay?

the panel has two buttons for jets. These are the pump buttons I was referring to. Sometimes they get water inside the contacts in the panel. Unlikely it is a stuck relay.

• 3 years later...

Board Guidelines

This community forum has a single mission: To provide an open venue to exchange ideas and opinions related to the merits of swimming pool and spa ownership.

Advertising Prohibited. You agree to not leave signatures, URLs or text including blatant sales messages, solicitations, advertisements or self-promotion

Asking somone to contact you offline, through your email, I tend to believe can only be requested for self-promotion.

Board Guidelines

This community forum has a single mission: To provide an open venue to exchange ideas and opinions related to the merits of swimming pool and spa ownership.

Advertising Prohibited. You agree to not leave signatures, URLs or text including blatant sales messages, solicitations, advertisements or self-promotion

Asking somone to contact you offline, through your email, I tend to believe can only be requested for self-promotion.

I am only trying to help them i have too many questions to ask and i dont have the time to respond to every little thing by this site go back and look at all the responses from people i have tried to help i dont ask for anything in return. I dont like seeing people ripped off by service techs out in the field that dont know what they are doing i have the people email me then i give them my phone number too call me then i help them over the phone i DONT do it to make any type of sale I do it too let people know there are still good hearted people left in AMERICA.

No problem then :-)

This worked for me. The remote panel is the cable with black coating on it. It connects to the cable of the main panel in the control box. Just disconnected it and the problem is solved. Another symptom I had was that after power cycle, pump 2 would come on for 20 minutes then shut off and neither panels could turn it back on. Had to power cycle to get it back on for only another 20 minute run. This was driving me crazy. Thanks very much for the post tubtechie!

• 2 months later...

I would like to let everyone on this forum know something about a wonderful member on this site. I only joined this forum to make sure all of you know that James the hot tub guy is the real deal. I found you guys because my 1998 sundance spa was cycling on and off all by itself and couldnt find any answers anywhere! We live on a tight budget and couldnt afford to call a tech to come out and help. I found James on here and let me tell you, he talked me through a very simple repair that would have cost me probably hundreds by a tech coming out. He asks for nothing but a simple thank you. Hes very polite and knowledgable. He even helped me with a smaller side issue that I didnt think was too important. Hes a wonderful and rare person who is willing to help anyone out with any problem! If only there were more people like him in the world. Thank you James, my hot tub is in tip top shape now and it cost nothing, not even parts! You rock!

• 3 years later...

Sorry, don't know why that happened with the line in my words. Anyways, about two weeks ago, when I would start my 2speed pump, the single speed pump would start. I could still shut it off, but it started on it's own. (I have a Sundance 2002 Optima)(It has one single speed pump, one two speed pump, a heater pump, and a blower for bubbles.) Today we got back from Vacation and I went to check on the spa. The 2speed pump worked just fine, as did the bubbles. The single speed pump would not start. Then, after a few minutes, it started on it's own. Then shut off, then started back up and continued to run. I couldn't shut it off. I am assuming it is the control panel. The catch is, my spa has the main control panel on one side, and a second set of buttons on the opposite side of the spa. I get the same response from both sides by the way.

My question is, can one or the other control pads be bad, and cause the other one not to respond? And, hopefully, it's not the circuit board?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

James the hot tub guy has helped me fix my tub in the past and never asked a penny. He is a stand-up guy. I live way way out in the country and could never get anyone to come fix my tub. May God bless you "James the hot tub guy".

Also I had this problem on my 2003 Sundanece 850. In my case the #2 pump would come on in the middle of the night and run off and on all night long. I unplugged the black coated ribbon cable that connects in to J7.  That is the ribbon cable that connects the small, far side, 3 button controller.  This cured my problem.

• 1 year later...
We have a Sundance (1999-2001?) model hot tub. A month or so ago, we drained it to clean and refilled it. It started acting up and so we drained it and refilled it again and messed with a couple of the jets and it stopped acting up, but it’s started in again... we had originally thought there was air in the lines or something since it started after refilling it, but here’s  exactly what it’s doing....

Out of no where it will turn on the 2nd Jet Button which only has one speed ( this jet only runs the jets in the bottom of the tub and one of the seats ) sorry I don’t know specifics on what this actually is called...

Out of no where (usually seems to happen at the worst times possible - like super early in the morning 3am and continuously does this cycle that keeps you awake)... it cycles this pump on and off about once every minute. It’ll kick on and off and sometimes it’ll stay on longer than others and kick off again. I’ve tried shutting the power off from the breaker box over night or for a day at a Time and turn it back on and it seems to do the same cycle of issues. It may do this for hours or stop for half hour and start in again. It’s very annoying. You can’t turn this pump off by the panel when it starts doing this most times,  but once it’s done, you can turn it on manually if you want to. 

Please HELP!!!
Mel

• 4 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 7:13 AM, Mel1987 said:
We have a Sundance (1999-2001?) model hot tub. A month or so ago, we drained it to clean and refilled it. It started acting up and so we drained it and refilled it again and messed with a couple of the jets and it stopped acting up, but it’s started in again... we had originally thought there was air in the lines or something since it started after refilling it, but here’s  exactly what it’s doing....

Out of no where it will turn on the 2nd Jet Button which only has one speed ( this jet only runs the jets in the bottom of the tub and one of the seats ) sorry I don’t know specifics on what this actually is called...

Out of no where (usually seems to happen at the worst times possible - like super early in the morning 3am and continuously does this cycle that keeps you awake)... it cycles this pump on and off about once every minute. It’ll kick on and off and sometimes it’ll stay on longer than others and kick off again. I’ve tried shutting the power off from the breaker box over night or for a day at a Time and turn it back on and it seems to do the same cycle of issues. It may do this for hours or stop for half hour and start in again. It’s very annoying. You can’t turn this pump off by the panel when it starts doing this most times,  but once it’s done, you can turn it on manually if you want to. 

Please HELP!!!
Mel

I have the same problem need help

Low-high-off is usually a short in the button that turns on the pump, or water on the plug. You may have one control or two, depending on your spa. It is probably moisture inside of a control. If you have 2, disconnect the small one. See if it stops. If not, disconnect the big one. See if it stops. If not, you need a circuit board.

Could you have water on the circuit board from the heater install?