Where To Buy Muriatic Acid In Canada/gta?

Any Canadians here? I use a lot of muriatic acid in my pool and feel I'm getting overcharged by the pool company, mainly because they sell it in small jugs only. Anyone know a cheap source for the big (4/5 gallon) jugs? I called Lowes and Home Depot and neither carries it.

I don't know any sources of acid in Canada, but to reduce the rate of rise in your pool's pH, you could try lowering the TA level. If it's an SWG pool, then having the CYA at 60-80 ppm and adding 50 ppm Borates are other options.

I don't know any sources of acid in Canada, but to reduce the rate of rise in your pool's pH, you could try lowering the TA level. If it's an SWG pool, then having the CYA at 60-80 ppm and adding 50 ppm Borates are other options.

The TA is actually too low right now. It's at 60ppm. My pool is gunite so I read in another pool that dry acid is not good for plaster pools. No details as to why but since my pool company uses muriatic acid, I thought I should too.

My ph is high (8.0+) and when I lower it with dry acid, it keeps going back up a few days later. This is why I think my TA is too low. I'm going to buy a case of baking soda to try to get it up to 80ppm.

Funny but the pool maintenance manual my pool company left me never mentions TA. But, I have read everywhere that it is key to having stable ph.

As far as sulfate and pool plaster, you may be talking about sulfate attack as described here, but I can't find any source that says at what concentration this begins to be a problem.

If you raise the TA level by using Alkalinity Up (sodium bicarbonate or baking soda) this will make the problem worse, not better, but you can try it if you want to or don't believe me. Higher TA only stabilizes pH from external sources, but it is a source of rising pH itself from carbon dioxide outgassing from the pool. Pools are intentionally over-carbonated which is what happens when you add bicarbonate to the pool and though this provides a pH buffer, it also contributes to making the pH rise. This is fine if you are using Trichlor tabs/pucks which are acidic, but it's not so good if you are not using an acidic source of chlorine.

SWG pools tend to rise in pH due to the hydrogen gas bubbles produced in the SWG cell that aerate the water and drive out carbon dioxide that then causes the pH to rise. If you also have water aeration features, such as waterfalls, spillovers, fountains, etc., then that just makes the problem worse. As I said, the normal way to handle this is to have a lower TA level (not above 80 ppm) as well as a higher CYA level (60-80 ppm) and use of 50 ppm Borates with these latter two that reduce chlorine demand thereby letting you turn down your SWG.

Richard

• 10 years later...

The diference between muriatic acid and  hydrochloric acid,

The truth of the matter is, muriatic acid, made and used primarily for industrial use, contains a lower baumé rating, (equaling to a higher amount of impurities) than what it's derived from, hydrochloric acid, which is made and used primarily for laboratory applications due to it's higher baumé rating, resulting in less impurities. In other words, hydrochloric acid, is of a slightly higher grade than muriatic acid.