Ultra Clorox Bleach

Any spa users using ultra clorox? This is 'new' in our part of the great white north.

Usually I buy the no-name brand with 5.25% explicit on the label, but it is not always in stock locally. They seem to be phasing out the regular clorox; you can't even compare the price to see how much (more) you are getting ripped off.

Regular clorox says 5.25% right on the label, but the ultra clorox label says nothing about concentration. The clorox website does not even mention 'ultra', but some web hits indicate 6%, others 6.95%.

Any spa users using ultra clorox? This is 'new' in our part of the great white north.

Usually I buy the no-name brand with 5.25% explicit on the label, but it is not always in stock locally. They seem to be phasing out the regular clorox; you can't even compare the price to see how much (more) you are getting ripped off.

Regular clorox says 5.25% right on the label, but the ultra clorox label says nothing about concentration. The clorox website does not even mention 'ultra', but some web hits indicate 6%, others 6.95%.

I called Clorox's 1-800 or 1-888 phone number printed on the jug and I was told the Ultra is 6%.

You can get a 5 litre jug of Purox liqiud chlorine at Canadian Tire for $5. I was told it's 10.8%.

Thanks.

I read the higher percentage degrades faster. Any idea what kind of time frame is needed before it makes sense to just buy the lower percentage?

I called Clorox's 1-800 or 1-888 phone number printed on the jug and I was told the Ultra is 6%.

You can get a 5 litre jug of Purox liqiud chlorine at Canadian Tire for $5. I was told it's 10.8%.

It's interesting how Clorox in Canada is similar to what was done in the U.S. years ago. It used to be that Clorox Regular was 5.25% while Clorox Ultra was 6% and it's still that way in Canada, but in the U.S. today, Clorox Regular is now 6% and there is no more Ultra except the off-brand bleaches have Ultra that is 6% (because they competed with the older Clorox Ultra that was 6%). The main thing to stay away from, in addition to scented bleaches and bleach with thickeners and other "special-purpose" bleaches, is the off-brand Regular bleaches since they are usually only 3% or less and often are of poor quality so may contain metal that has the bleach break down faster (so it doesn't last as long -- at least in concentrated form).

As for the rate of degradation, I wouldn't worry about that for any of the quality bleaches, be they 5.25% or 6%. You can see a half-life table for chlorine at the bottom of this link and see that it's quite long for the range of concentration of bleach. For chlorinating liquid, which is more like 10% or 12.5%, the half-life becomes an issue if the temperature is higher.

Richard