Costco Infinity Tubs On Sale

spamom

my husband wants to do some more research and check out some of the "name brand" tubs -as well as this is a busy time of year for us so we decided to wait to buy our tub.

I saw that the Costco sale ended on sunday with a SOLD OUT picture.

Does anyone know the next time these tubs will be on sale??

How often do they sell tubs....

When is the best time of year to buy one?

And is in always the same Infinity SunPeak or Discovery that are on Sale??

thanks.

my husband wants to do some more research and check out some of the "name brand" tubs -as well as this is a busy time of year for us so we decided to wait to buy our tub.

thanks.

They work with several manufacturers, and those manufacturers make special runs for Costco to meet the price point requirements. Shouldn't be to long until a manufacturer meets all the component requirements for another batch.

Thanks Roger -

Is Costco new at hot tubs-?? How long have they been selling them?

I don't know if it is that i have never seen them before - or if it is just because i am not interested in them that i am seeing them all over!!

They've sold spas for years. The brands are always changing as they’re really moving lower quality spas to keep to a low price point down (but they are priced properly for what you get, just not high quality spas) and manufacturers often find it a business model that doesn't work well so someone else then gives it a shot. When you buy one for $5k you're not getting an $8k spa for a lower price, you're getting what you paid for. IMO the Costco spas are best for people who are real DIYers; if that's you there are worse routes to take for sure. There won't be anyone there to deliver and set it up for you, when you have problems good luck getting it serviced and they are notoriously poorly insulated but you have two things on your side with this type purchase; you're not investing big $$ (spa wise) and you do have the Costco return policy so you can load it up on your trailer and return it if need be.

thanks.

We ordered our Sun Peak either late June or early July of 07 when it was on sale for $2999 delivered. It arrived in early August.

Sandi

thanks.

We ordered our Sun Peak either late June or early July of 07 when it was on sale for $2999 delivered. It arrived in early August.

Sandi

Infinity Spas will not be in business by the end of summer 2008. We do warranty work for them and cannot seem to get paid. We do however get a great runaround story. We have stopped doing warranty work for Infinity and now have resorted to billing the spa owners when we do repairs and they will have to fight with Infinity for reimbursement. Costco should do their customers a favor and either stop selling spas. . .or only sell spas from a reputable source. Infinity bought KeysBackyard spa division after it went through the same problems, and history will repeat itself. . .

Infinity Spas will not be in business by the end of summer 2008. We do warranty work for them and cannot seem to get paid. We do however get a great runaround story. We have stopped doing warranty work for Infinity and now have resorted to billing the spa owners when we do repairs and they will have to fight with Infinity for reimbursement. Costco should do their customers a favor and either stop selling spas. . .or only sell spas from a reputable source. Infinity bought KeysBackyard spa division after it went through the same problems, and history will repeat itself. . .

JohnnyTsunami - the one post wonder.

Johnny - what is the name of your warranty company? Can you provide contact information on the names of some Infinity Spas that you've worked and give some details about the non-payment.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not assume that you're a troll. Other than the full-foam versus Thermopane insulation debate, the Costco-sold Infinity vs. name-brand spa has caused more posts on this board than any other topic. There are definitely some Infinity bashers out there, however, their opinions hold some weight because of their posting history. For you to come along and in your very first post bash Infinity.....

What is more likely is this - Infinity tubs are gaining a reputation of being solidly built with a good service and support reputation. I have posted myself about a warranty issue that I had with my Infinity tub and was pleased at how quickly the issue was resolved to my satisfaction. There are those that want to scare potential Infinity purchasers away with fear, uncertainty and doubt. Their mantra is the same - you won't have the dealer there to support you. Those spas are for the DIY'er. Those spas won't last. They are made with cheap parts.

As more and more people purchase Infinity spas, those dire warnings are falling on deaf ears. The big name-brand spa dealers are feeling the pinch. How many potential sales of dealer sold spas were lost during Costco's latest promotion when Costco sold out of the Infinity Sun Peak?

If I were a dealer with the overhead of salaries, commision, rent, and inventory and was selling a Sundance Chelsee with an MSRP of $11,995, I would be extremely concerned about a $2999 Infinity Sun Peak from Costco. I might even be tempted to come to a few of the internet message boards and post about Infinity's imminent demise. :lol:

Regards,

Ken

Johnny - what is the name of your warranty company? Can you provide contact information on the names of some Infinity Spas that you've worked and give some details about the non-payment.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not assume that you're a troll. Other than the full-foam versus Thermopane insulation debate, the Costco-sold Infinity vs. name-brand spa has caused more posts on this board than any other topic. There are definitely some Infinity bashers out there, however, their opinions hold some weight because of their posting history. For you to come along and in your very first post bash Infinity.....

What is more likely is this - Infinity tubs are gaining a reputation of being solidly built with a good service and support reputation. I have posted myself about a warranty issue that I had with my Infinity tub and was pleased at how quickly the issue was resolved to my satisfaction. There are those that want to scare potential Infinity purchasers away with fear, uncertainty and doubt. Their mantra is the same - you won't have the dealer there to support you. Those spas are for the DIY'er. Those spas won't last. They are made with cheap parts.

As more and more people purchase Infinity spas, those dire warnings are falling on deaf ears. The big name-brand spa dealers are feeling the pinch. How many potential sales of dealer sold spas were lost during Costco's latest promotion when Costco sold out of the Infinity Sun Peak?

If I were a dealer with the overhead of salaries, commision, rent, and inventory and was selling a Sundance Chelsee with an MSRP of $11,995, I would be extremely concerned about a $2999 Infinity Sun Peak from Costco. I might even be tempted to come to a few of the internet message boards and post about Infinity's imminent demise. :lol:

Regards,

Ken

Keep in mind Ken that Costco or Infinity or whoever Costco is using at the time of a particular person's purchase is not an inovator in the inexpensive spa market. Inexpensive 5-8 year spas have been selling at box stores, hardware stores, tents in parking lots, car dealerships and hair salons for 20-30 years. Never once have the dealers fallen off the face of the earth because of it. So your analogy of the dealers worrying about Costco's tub sales, may be a bit of a stretch. I'm not saying that the local dealers want this competition, but I am saying that around here Walmart, Sam's Club, Home Depot sales of spas is not hurting the dealers and they welcome the service until the manufacturer stops paying (example, Hydrospa) Then they chase owners and hurt there reputation with those owners. It's a sad thing but won't go away.

The first thing I ask on any repair given to me is, who's paying the bill? And manufacturer is never an option. It's either the dealer that gave me the repair or the private party who called me.

The dealers here know inexpensive spa manufacturers are here to stay. But they also know people who want a solid spa to last 15-20 years are also here to stay.

Just like the car anology, not everyone wants a Kia and are willing to pay more for what they percieve as better quality.

There are definitely some Infinity bashers out there, however, their opinions hold some weight because of their posting history. For you to come along and in your very first post bash Infinity.....

1) You call them "Infinity bashers" just because you don't like their message, others might call them "experienced spa professionals who are passing on their knowledge".

What is more likely is this - Infinity tubs are gaining a reputation of being solidly built with a good service and support reputation.

"more likely solidly built", says you and compared to what? While that is totally untrue IMO (and many others opinions) I wonder how you can say they have a good service and support reputation. Good compared to whom? In this industry they do NOT have such a reputation. You own one spa. If it has worked for you fine but please don't misrepresent these spas as being well build with a good reputation for service and support based on the fact your has worked out for you.

Everyone is feeling the pinch due to the economy for sure. These low quality spas Costco sells aren't a major part of the equation for the major spa makers. The big box stores will always sell these price point spas as there will always be a market for people who feel they can't afford a quality spa or just plain think "a spa is a spa" and think they're saving money when they are really just spending less. As far as the "dire warnings", people like Roger, myself and others only post what we know so people can make an informed decision. Many people would ask the questions but really don't want to hear the answers because the price seems so right they'd ignore God if he sent them a sign in writing that it isn't an $8k spa being sold for $4k. People do what they think is best for them regardless of what they may learn whether its from someone with a decade of spa experience who knows quality when he sees/works on it or if its someone who has owned one spa for a year and professes his single experience can be used to determine what the masses will experience.

Regards,

Ken

I'm sure to someone who has no grasp on the spa industry at all, it may seem that way Ken. The key aspect that you are missing is that these are 2 distinctly different shoppers. There's the person that holds less value on quality and is more price driven (box store shopper), then there's the consumer that looks for overall value (including support and dealer knowledge) and prefers to deal with a company that understands spas and how to properly maintain them.

This is a long term purchase and having a clear understanding on HOW to look after them and the ability to troubleshoot problems and be proactive, is a key componant of ownership. Walk into a Costco and ask for a water analysis or a suggestion on water balancing or a pump issue... They don't have a clue. The differences start there and I haven't even touched on operating cost differences or overall quality...

thanks.

I just received my Discovery Infinity Spa and it's going back to Costco. They did not insulate the tub so no wonder folks have high heating bills. The 2x4 framing appears not to even be treated wood. Here in South Ca with the spa on a patio of pavers the termites will eat this thing up in a year. Very cheaply built and I feel is a waste of money. This spa is still on the pallet as delivered and now will need to be loaded on a trailer and returned to Costco. Costco customer service was terrible to deal with or receive their assistance with trying to find out where our order was even at. I am a very unhappy Costco Discovery Spa purchaser. Heading to LA Spa for my new spa.

I

thanks.

I just received my Discovery Infinity Spa and it's going back to Costco. They did not insulate the tub so no wonder folks have high heating bills. The 2x4 framing appears not to even be treated wood. Here in South Ca with the spa on a patio of pavers the termites will eat this thing up in a year. Very cheaply built and I feel is a waste of money. This spa is still on the pallet as delivered and now will need to be loaded on a trailer and returned to Costco. Costco customer service was terrible to deal with or receive their assistance with trying to find out where our order was even at. I am a very unhappy Costco Discovery Spa purchaser. Heading to LA Spa for my new spa.

There is no denying that is a nice option to have. However you could return any dealer tub if you wern't happy in 30 days. I have yet to hear a story about a 6 month old or year old one getting returned. I wonder what will happen when these things get 3-4 years old and someone wants to return one??? Or even 5-6 when it has started to fall apart?? That is a neet deal if it can happen. Hell buy one and have a new one for life every 3-4 years before pumps and stuff start wearing out.

To be honest it sounds to good to be true. But I am the kinda guy who would test that. I find them easy to move and hook up. So a new one every year or so would be cool, except for the high energy cost here in Northern Minnesota but I have already found several ways to re-insulate a hot tub and make it more effiecient. I wonder how they would like one of my modifyed returns?? Bet that wouldn't fly!!

There is no denying that is a nice option to have. However you could return any dealer tub if you wern't happy in 30 days. I have yet to hear a story about a 6 month old or year old one getting returned. I wonder what will happen when these things get 3-4 years old and someone wants to return one??? Or even 5-6 when it has started to fall apart?? That is a neet deal if it can happen. Hell buy one and have a new one for life every 3-4 years before pumps and stuff start wearing out.

To be honest it sounds to good to be true. But I am the kinda guy who would test that. I find them easy to move and hook up. So a new one every year or so would be cool, except for the high energy cost here in Northern Minnesota but I have already found several ways to re-insulate a hot tub and make it more effiecient. I wonder how they would like one of my modifyed returns?? Bet that wouldn't fly!!

I think it depends what you buy from Costco. Obviously a $3k Spa isn't going to be as well built as a $10k - or at least you'd hope there would be a difference and evidence on here suggests corners like insulation etc are cut to reduce the cost. That said some of the energy bills people have posted for the Sun Peak are not bad given the reduced insulation.

I took the middle ground and went for the OC 850L tub in the Costco stores recently (http://www.hottuboc.com) after doing some research. Its offered in Costco right now for $4,699 and is made by Cal Spa. Its fully insulated (full foam out to the panels), uses quality components, has a 5" to 3" cover w/2lb foam (albeit without a full hinge seal - its has the edge hinge seals only). I'll know in a months time what the first month energy cost is and we've had some cold nights here in Seattle over the last 2-3 weeks so it will be interesting. Costco also had a deal with Sundance spa's at the same time but for an equiv model (with stereo) I was looking at a min of $7k and more likely $10k for the same kind of features. The Sun Peak was an interesting option as well but in the end the insulation concerns made me back away from that option. We've had the 850L for 3 weeks now and its been fantastic! (Now I just need to master the water chemistry some more!)

Since we've not had a Spa before we decided to take the middle route (between the Sun Peak and the Sundance) and see how it went - Without Costco's warranty backing we'd probably just not have bothered to get one at all - especially for $7 to $10k. The way I look at it if this one works well great we've got a good Spa for 5-8 years and maybe more - at which point we can upgrade if we're still using it frequently. If it falls apart in 2-3 years I'll take it back.

Pdampier has the right approach. Knowing what he's got, and knowing what he could have had (cheaper tub, for cheaper money, a midline, or a more expensive tub.) And he made an informed decision. Ken, what you ignore is that many of us are not Costco/Infinity bashers. We just get tired of people coming on this and other forums, claiming to have bought a tub for 3 or 4 thousand dollars that is the equal to a tub that costs 8 or 10 thousand at a dealer. And, as some of the previous posters, who work in the industry repairing these things have said time and time again -- That's just not true! The cheaper Costco spas have their place -- for people that want to try out hot tubs -- not knowing if they'll even like them. Or, to people that know they have the technical savvy to further insulate them and repair them when they fail. But remember, if one buys a more expensive named brand tub, the secondary market is pretty decent. If you don't like your Costco tub, good luck selling a 3 to 5 year old Infinity.

But, talking about the economy, tonight's news had an interesting story. A lot of high ticket items (i.e. luxury cars and full-featured hot tubs) are getting discounted, because these non-necessaties are not getting purchased in this crunch. Good deals are to be had out there -- on quality products. You may not have to buy on the cheap if you don't want to.

If you don't like your Costco tub, good luck selling a 3 to 5 year old Infinity.

Well the other reason I went with the OC model over the Sun Peak or Sundance was the 5 year warranty on shell, frame, pumps, electrical etc which includes labor (panels + ozonator are 1 year). If Cal Spa/OC decided to mess me around on that I'd just take the hit and return the thing to Costco. As I said without Costco's backing on top I would likely have not taken the plunge so to speak! When you read all the Spa vendors warranties there are more "out's" that they can use than anything....

The Sundance warranty (even with Costco's backing - like I said Costco were selling them via a 'special event') was not as good with only 1 year on electrical/pumps etc.

http://www.sundancespas.com/CustomerCare/6...rantyExport.pdf

OC Warranty:

http://www.hottuboc.com/pdf/Costco_OC_Hot_...ners_Manual.pdf

Now to a very large degree I'd argue that neither of these are worth the paper they are written on when you dig into the small print. For instance if push comes to shove how do you ever prove the water chemistry was always maintained correctly. The manufacturer can always argue that one....

Hence Costco's backing was to me a deciding factor. Now I'd feel bad abusing it but given the OC was sold with a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer I would not feel bad returning it to Costco if the manufacturer hangs me out to dry on the warranty in that period....

While the Sunpeak was tempting for $3k the OC at $4,700 being slightly larger (450 gallons versus 350) and deepr 39" versus 36" (I'm tall) along with the full foam insulation and Cal Spa's slightly better reputation and warranty won me over....

Hard choices. But long term I think Costco could do the dealers a big favor. They're getting people into the Spa market who would normally have just not bothered with the expense. We moved into this house and the previous owners had it wired up for their tub which they took with them. We've dithered over dropping a replacement tub in for five years! Long term if folks get hooked on it the dealers stand well to get good business from people upgrading. Eight years from now if we're still avid users we'll definitely be looking at high end options next time around.

I do agree that in the current economic climate there will be good deals to be had on high end tubs from dealers. Its also a great time to buy a car!

Regards,

Ken

We are also a service center and have been for what was keys, now Infinity. We used to deal Infinity when they first bought their "new molds" from Waters Edge Spas when they folded. After purchasing 5 tubs, we stopped buying from them. We had to repair every single one. We also had a hard time getting paid and now charge the customers and let them get paid by the company. It took upwards of 4 months to get paid, and had to threaten with court action. To be fair we had to do this with Gulf Coast and Hydro Spa also. You can find our info to who we are and how to contact us via our profile since we should not be posting it in the forum. I am not a 1 post wonder or slammer, but the truth be told that it is hard to be paid by them, along that line, the price of the tub shows the quality of the tub. The more they can get out of not paying for warrenty work, the less they can sell the tub for. You get what you pay for, buyer beware of the future costs...all of them...

We are also a service center and have been for what was keys, now Infinity. We used to deal Infinity when they first bought their "new molds" from Waters Edge Spas when they folded. After purchasing 5 tubs, we stopped buying from them. We had to repair every single one. We also had a hard time getting paid and now charge the customers and let them get paid by the company. It took upwards of 4 months to get paid, and had to threaten with court action. To be fair we had to do this with Gulf Coast and Hydro Spa also. You can find our info to who we are and how to contact us via our profile since we should not be posting it in the forum. I am not a 1 post wonder or slammer, but the truth be told that it is hard to be paid by them, along that line, the price of the tub shows the quality of the tub. The more they can get out of not paying for warrenty work, the less they can sell the tub for. You get what you pay for, buyer beware of the future costs...all of them...

Same story, differnent poster! All you can do is tell it like it is and let people decide what they want to do with that information.

I just looked at my new Costco Infinity spa still on the pallet and find all the warnings labels and warranty disclosure about the tub. I quote " WARNING EXPOSURE OF THE SPA SURFACE TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT OR UV RAYS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SPA'S SURFACE, WILL VOID THE WARRANTY, AND WILL RESULT IN POTENTIAL HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS" There is a nother warning label telling the merchant to keep the spa under a overhead so it is not in contact with the sun. PO's me that Costco doesn't tell you this up front. It appears that Costco no longer carries this spa or any from Infinity.

Now to a very large degree I'd argue that neither of these are worth the paper they are written on when you dig into the small print. For instance if push comes to shove how do you ever prove the water chemistry was always maintained correctly. The manufacturer can always argue that one....

I've been preaching that for years. It’s not just warranty itself that counts but its how the manufacturer backs that warranty. There have been jokes about a couple manufacturers that their warranty is voided as soon as you fill the spa with water. At the same time there are stories of the better manufacturers backing their product above and beyond the warranty. Warranty follow through is definitely brand dependent. The top spa makers are very good about this but there are a few that are not well regarded in this area.

Cal may have gotten a black eye over the years for not being the best in quality and warranty follow through and while I've always thought it wise to shy away from them due to this if I was to buy a Cal I’d do it through Costco in case they don't live up to the warranty or try to hide behind a few choice words.

I just looked at my new Costco Infinity spa still on the pallet and find all the warnings labels and warranty disclosure about the tub. I quote " WARNING EXPOSURE OF THE SPA SURFACE TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT OR UV RAYS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SPA'S SURFACE, WILL VOID THE WARRANTY, AND WILL RESULT IN POTENTIAL HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS" There is a nother warning label telling the merchant to keep the spa under a overhead so it is not in contact with the sun. PO's me that Costco doesn't tell you this up front. It appears that Costco no longer carries this spa or any from Infinity.

I don't know about the "POTENTIAL HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS" but most all spa shells, particularly Acrylic with ABS substrate all say the same thing, no matter how much you pay for them.

I believe that Imperial, would be smart to not build spas for Costco as most all the other manufacturers have figured out. If you were a hot tub builder and you can't make any money selling to Costco, would you continue?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, new here.

I did buy the Costco Infinity 3 person spa, delivered here in the VA mountains for $2000! I was half pleased, half disappointed when I got it, no insulation, dorky plastic sheet bottom, non treated wood. And the don't expose to sun notice was disheartening.

But the only spa I had before was one I built out of 4x4"s and lined with epoxy and used a 115v home water heater for! I did use that one for ten years or so, it was all I had and was wonderful.

But, I stuffed $30 of fiberglass in this new one, sprayed wood preservative over the bottom lumber, put on a plywood bottom, glued 4" of solid foam to that, flipped it over, filled it, and am enjoying it.

Price was fantastic, we'll see how long it lasts. Haven't received the hard cover yet ("it's on the way") but I'd say a pretty good deal with the ozonator and hard cover. It has a Balboa VS501 series controller/heater.

Mike