Pump Size Question

I have a ~13,500 gal in-ground pool.

1 intake, 1 return

big, old, gnarly anthony apollo (VA-38, i think) DE filter

solar heating system ~15 feet above the pool

suction side is 1.5" piping (the rest seems to be 2")

equipment is located only about 8' from the pool.

it's time to replace the motor, and the pump looks really old.

however, the current motor is 2 HP, which according to most info on the net (such as pool plaza's pump guide), seems way too powerful.

i obviously want the most efficient size motor for my pool. can anyone direct me to a pump, or at least a method for choosing one? (total break horsepower recommendation?)

each brand has different models with slightly different price points--it's tough to compare.

many thanks.

Stephen

Jandy Stealth...huge haircatcher=less time cleaning it while vac'ing and doesnt clog up easily when it gets debris like those other pumps do

these things are hard to kill...they can run for days pulling air from a clogged skimmer or from low water..and they are extremely quiet...they make a Whisperflo sound like a challenger

I work around about 50 of these pumps a week at a bunch of pools and never had to replace a motor yet..some are well over 6 years old and run year round

plus unionized connections=easy ass installation

I have fallen in love with these pumps...yes, I am that obsessed with pool equipment, and I am insane

I hope you don't have a problem with the Jandy because they suck to work on. The motor seal cost is about 5 times the cost of a regular seal and not to mention it has to be basically epoxied in place. Not to mention how much fun it is to take it apart and put back together.

I've taken one apart before...its not harder than other pumps out there....sure there are a few more bolts to deal with than a hayward but thats not really a big deal when you're already taking one apart

• 4 weeks later...
Stay with the 2 horse.

Hayward is a good pump and their 1.5 can pump like a 2 horse.

But the kicker is that the more horepower means the best filtering. and the less headaches.

The cost is nill , so go with bigger and be happy.

more horsepower does mean better filtering, just faster moving water and if the water mover too fast thru the filter it is less effective and really strains the filter. Use a 1 hp hayward Super Pump