SOLUTION TO BROWN WATER!

Guest Nicole Eggerud

Guest Nicole Eggerud

Hello everyone!

To all of you brown water haters out there, I would like to share my experience with you!

I had the same problem as a majority of the people on this forum. DISCOLORED WATER.

We filled our 13 x 3 easy-set pool with well water, which is very hard water with iron, and other metals in it.

After shocking the pool, the water turned brown. I was realy bummed and stressed because 3 days later, we were having a party, it was 90 degrees out, and I wanted the kids to be able to swim.

I called a local pool supply store. They recommended a product called "SeaKlear". This is a safe, natural product, and it works!!!!

In 2 full days, with even working full time, I was able to get my clear water.

I used 3 times the recommended amount (per my gallonage), which they even recommend this on the bottle. I ran my filter straight for 2 days, I cleaned the filter twice a day, (even more will be even better) 2 full days later, I had clear water!!!

Couple of hints....Make sure your filter is clean, and run it straight (if you can) for at least 2 days, make sure your chemicals are at the ideal amounts, and be patient, it does not happen over night, even though you will see a difference.

This SeaKlear product works by clumping up the metals, so that they will clean through the filter. Without this product, the metal particles are too small to go through your filter.

The cause of the discoloration is the chemicals in your pool reacting to the metals in your water, and because of this, they say not to shock it for a while until a lot of the metals are filtered out. It will be impossible to get all of the metals out of your pool, but with this process, you can eliminate much of it.

Another helpful thing I did was take a mop to the bottom of the pool and pushed it along the bottom of the pool to lift the particles out, and to clean the bottom of the pool.

I really hope this helps all of you out there. Good Luck!

Nicole

By using a sequestering agent prior to adding chlorine or shock next time you will prevent the discoloration (which is caused by oxidation) rather than having to try and clear the water later.

I've been battling my brown water for months...I finally decided to dump my pool and refill...When I refilled all I put in was Metal, Stain and Scale out from Walmart. Let my filter run for a couple of days..My water was the color of lemonade..but clear. after about 2 days I put in a lil bit of bleach to raise my chlorine slowly..and adjusted my PH..which would never go any higher for some reason...My water turned green..So, i kinda gave up..Just let my pump run for about 4 days straight..not cleaning the filter at all...I noticed each day my water was getting clearer and clearer...I turned my filter off and went out of town for the weekend..Noticed when I got home that the floor of my pool was totally brown...So, today I decided to get in and try to do something about it..I put a sock around the vacuum that came with the pool (easy set) and vacuumed really slowly..It didnt get all of it out..But, it did get a good bit out...my pool got totally clear until i was done and it had stirred a lot of the brown back into the water..But, it sinks right back to the bottom..Just keep vacuuming and it will all eventually come out..push it over towards the filter..Dont clean your filter unless it stops running..I think the more gunk thats on it makes it easier to catch the iron. FINALLY my pool is getting clear..First time i'll be able to actually use it all summer. The person who mentioned the mop..THANKS!! LOL..thats a good idea.

• 17 years later...

Hello.  After spa drain, clean and refill with hose filter attached, the levels were:

Fresh filtered well water for 250 gal spa

TA 120

TH 200

PH 7.3

BR 2.0

added Bromine granules

Water turned brown-

Should I have added a sequestering agent prior to the Bromine? 
How do I clear spa water. 
Thank You.