What Can I Use In Place Of Ph Down?

popeye1

Ok, through trial and testing, I have discovered that it is the PH down that I am using to lower the PH in my spa that is causing my skin reaction. I have tried 3 different brands, but they are all Sodium Bisfulate. Is there something I can use instead to lower the PH in my spa?

You can use Muriatic Acid, which is hydrochloric acid, to lower the pH. It may be that for whatever reason you are sensitive to higher sulfate levels, though that is the first time I've heard of that (either that or some small by-product in the sodium bisulfate manufacturing is causing you irritation).

Muriatic Acid is a liquid and strong stuff. I suggest you try finding the weaker version of it -- the normal version is 31.45% hydrochloric acid while the weaker version is around half that, about 15% in strength. The weaker version should fume less and be a little safer to use. Unfortunately, the price per gallon will likely be the same, but you won't be buying that much. If someone makes an even more dilute version, that would be fine as well.

When adding any acid, you should wear eye protection, but especially with liquid acid to prevent any splashing into the eyes as that can cause blindness. You should also add it VERY slowly into the bulk spa water over a return flow with the pump running (but aeration jets off to prevent splashing). If you are only adding a little, you can take a bucket (or other container) of spa water and add it to that and mix first and then add that over the return flow.

Richard

Ok, through trial and testing, I have discovered that it is the PH down that I am using to lower the PH in my spa that is causing my skin reaction. I have tried 3 different brands, but they are all Sodium Bisfulate. Is there something I can use instead to lower the PH in my spa?

You can get muriatic acid AKA hydrocloric acid. The pool store should have it as should most hardware stores. You have to be VERY carful when using this in a hot tub. Mix with water first, don't spill ect. I don't know if it will help you skin reaction since it is still an acid. Are you waiting for a period before going into the tub after adding PH down? If you go in when you are adding it it will bother your skin since it is an acid.

My apologies. I attempted to merge two identical threads but this action seems to have truncated all but the first two posts of each. :angry:

Yes, I wait at least 4 hours, usually a couple of days before going in after adding the PH down. I am the only one being affected by it(8 users total over a 2 month period) I am having a hard time getting the PH to stay in normal range. Tends to drift up every day or so. I even had water hauled in because our well water is so hard. (thought it would be easier to balance). I've thought about adding a PH stabilizer, but I hate to add even more chemicals. The irritation shows up about 6 hours after I have used the spa, even though I shower afterward. Luckily the itching (intense) only lasts about 36-48 hours, and no noticible rash. I've been wanting a spa for years, and this is very disappointing. I will consider the muriatic acid. Thanks

Yes, I wait at least 4 hours, usually a couple of days before going in after adding the PH down. I am the only one being affected by it(8 users total over a 2 month period) I am having a hard time getting the PH to stay in normal range. Tends to drift up every day or so. I even had water hauled in because our well water is so hard. (thought it would be easier to balance). I've thought about adding a PH stabilizer, but I hate to add even more chemicals. The irritation shows up about 6 hours after I have used the spa, even though I shower afterward. Luckily the itching (intense) only lasts about 36-48 hours, and no noticible rash. I've been wanting a spa for years, and this is very disappointing. I will consider the muriatic acid. Thanks

I haven't owned a spa very long, but I am pretty darn sure that you MUST use stabilizer/buffer to keep your pH in check. That is why it is drifting up.

I haven't owned a spa very long, but I am pretty darn sure that you MUST use stabilizer/buffer to keep your pH in check. That is why it is drifting up.

It is not a must. Some people like it, other do not. The less chemicals the better to them. You also have to be careful if you have hard water. Regular PH balance does not work in hard water areas and we have seen with people that have used this product have had issues with scale. It works real well with the right water, but does not totally stop the need uf adjusting the PH. It helps for PH swings, the fast up and down you can sometimes get with use.